“A place to stay in HK”

Prince (Marco Polo Hotels)
Ranked #43 of 725 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Great location with excellent service.
The hotel is minutes away from the Kowloon Airport express station and easy walk to the MTR. Great for meeting business associates or using the MTR to arrive at appointments on time. The gym is efficient for relieving stress or you can walk 5 mins to the waterfront.There is direct access to Harbour City if the weather is bad outside with good shopping and numerous restaurants to enjoy

Room Tip: Try this, you will like it
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 September 2013

This is the first time the company put me up in this hotel, I would say it's a good move by the travel admin!!! Reason being, Hong Kong was under Signal#8 when Typhoon Utor hit the island the day after I checked in...this means that "no work" day for the locals, so what's the point of me going to office .. :)
For this case, the hotel is perfectly located in a huge linked shopping malls (China Hong Kong City, Harbor City, Ocean Center, Gateway,...) with endless shopping opportunities (no lack of high end brands) as well as variety of restaurants from Western burgers to Chinese restaurants or just laze yourself in Starbucks to read a book, you can basically spend the whole day without leaving the building. One of the interesting sight is for those high-end branded shops, you'd always see long queues outside the shop with security controlling the number of people going into the shops.
For the case of the hotel room, per advised by my travel admin, the front desk staff gladly upgrade me to Deluxe room (from Premier) when I told them that this is my first time stay with the hotel, I was told the difference is that there is daily fresh fruits for the room. I have asked for the sea view, unfortunately, the hotel was quite packed and I was allocated a street view one, which basically you can see into the offices of the other buildings, so the curtain is always drawn. After the check-in process, I was quite surprised that there is actually someone to usher you from the front desk to your room, giving you advise from how to enable the lift to access your level, to, which levels has what facilities, all the way to the location of all the lighting switches in the room!!! That's a first for me, and at least this old man don't have to fumble and hunt for the switches and plugs... :)
The room is fairly big considering it's location, what delighted me most is the "Pillow Menu" which you can choose from a range of around 10 different types of pillow (with explanation of the function and characteristic) to ensure you get the maximum rest for your sleep, this is great for me as I cannot handle those fluffy down pillow which are standard in most of the hotels. The House Keeping was fast to respond on my request for the change of pillow, and they even leave me one other type suggesting that I give it a try...thumbs up, other than the Memory pillow, I now know that I can also sleep well with the Latex Foam ones.
As there are wide range of local restaurants around the hotel vicinity, I have opted out for the daily breakfast and have been enjoying my time eating out. There are couple of museums nearby, and if you plan to travel any further, you can either take the taxi or via the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR which has accessible exits nearby. The other good point on the proximity of the MTR stations, if weather is not on your side, fred not, you can basically access most of the malls in Tsim Sha Tsui just by walking the MTR underground!!!
Despite having most part of the days working in the office and evening walking around the hotel vicinity, there is one gripe which I have, majority of the TV programs are news and local programs, don't think I come across any English movies channel, thankfully I can still watch my favorite programs on my iPad via the free wifi in the room.
On the whole, I wouldn't mind to stay there for my next trip, hopefully I get the Sea-View room... :)

Room Tip: I would expect the view of the sea view rooms will be better than the street view room. As I do qui...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The staff in the hotel was also very friendly except for one of the manager that works on the night shift. He questioned me as I walked into the hotel alone at 11pm. But what he didn't realized was I actually came down from my room to go outside for a smoke. Obviously, he wasn't attentive enough and I felt so embarrassed as he asked me to go to reception to identify myself. I would've given this hotel a better rating but it was because of him that dissapointed me. Overall, I must say the hotel room was very spacious and comfortable bed. Bigger than average hotel room in Hong Kong. The limousine service was average.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed at the hotel for one night ( executive room)in May 2013. I was upgraded to a suite. Check in flawless and my needs were met perfectly. I was extremely stressed and tired as flying home to Australia from a Finland holiday to be with a dying close relative. The staff were kind & considerate and helpful in the extreme. I have stayed at this hotel twice previously and always receive a great welcome and good service. Room clean and well appointed, breakfast good. Hotel car to airport on time and transfers seamless.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2013

This hotel needs to learn to take advantage of its features it has over other hotels in HK especially during this present time.

Don't get my wrong, though my review may be very negative as it is, it's still a good hotel property. I have to give credit to them for the large spacious rooms which makes it stand out from hotels in HK as present day HK hotels, are barely even any walking space. This hotel is greatly known for having 2 "queen beds" (which is the standard USA Double Bed) in comparison to 2 "full beds" (standard usa twin beds). The shower area and bathroom area is very spacious. The only reason the hotel is very spacious is due to it's age, which most likely in a few years the hotel will remodel and shrink each of its room. Hotels like Mirama used to rely on business by offering bigger rooms have now converted into modern day 5 stars.

The Hotel location is located on the edge of Tsim Sha Tsui. It is about 10 minutes worth of walk from the MTR which conveniently connects to everywhere around HK. The local are has quite a bit of name branded shopping but not enough selection if you compare it to the rest of Hong Kong. The most convenient thing about this hotel is the Kowloon Ferry Station is next door making it very convenient to goto Macau via TurboJet rather than having to goto the Hong Kong Port area. The nearest bus stops are 5-10 minutes walk outside of the hotel which isn't considered too convenient knowing it is Hong Kong.

The Lobby of the hotel is very small, there are 8 elevators that access the hotel floors in this hotel. There is also a quick connection on the 2nd floor using the gateway plaza. Safely you are required to put in your keycard every time you access the hotel's elevators no matter the time.

So what made me kill this hotels rating was the fact that they were trying to run a scam during checkin. When I was checking in we were treated very rudely by a hotel guest staff named "Yosie" Our hotel reservation was specifically made for Twin Beds (2 queen beds). Upon arrival we spent 20 minutes at the lobby disputing and she would not stop lying. First she said that our reservation was for 1 bed and not 2 beds. So we told her that if we can get internet access we can show her it, and she started blaming the Travel agency that booked it for 6 nights. It's amazing how fast she started blaming a new party as if they already knew about this scam they are trying to run. The hotel has a lot of rooms that have 1 king bed which don't really get sold since MP Prince is known for having big rooms and 2 beds. We than immediately called up the travel agency which spoke to her, after both continued arguing, our travel agency immediately faxed up the form to MP prince to show her the contract. Without even bothering to look at the contract after that was faxed, she started trying to make us get a 1 king bed room and add a rollaway to make it 2 beds. We immediately refused since I can't stand my dad rolling around the bed. She told us that no rooms were avail until 2 hours later which is riduculous knowing that we made a reservation for 2 beds up front and having a 6 night stay. So we agreed to waiting 2 hours for the room which we got later. Each checkin clerk at this hotel will take its guests directly to the elevator after checkin. The fact that we spoke cantonese and are from HK explains why they played this scam. We were "not taken to the elevator as a welcome"

The "rich" would be considered those that spoke mandarin to the point where a lot of service employees spoke mandarin. If you spoke cantonese they would careless for you. The maid service of this hotel is really good though. They actually clean clean the whole mattress DAILY out of 6 days compared to other hotels for only changing sheets. 2 Bottles of water free per day + garbage fruit. The maid was a really nice person which helped us on day 1 since the fuse was jumped on the first day upon arrival.

Another annoying part was check out, since I knew that they don't respect cantonese speaking, I decided to speak english on the phone and asked for late check out, and was immediately surprised how they agreed to my late 2:30 check out vs noon which I was told at lobby after speaking cantonese.

Upon leaving a few employees at the elevator asked us how our stay was and if we needed baggage help "in mandarin". To make the situation comfy, we spoke back in mandarin.

Good word of advise, if you can speak Mandarin or english, than do so at this hotel. It will get your way around.

Room Tip: Make sure you get 2 beds, and if you actually get 2 beds than make sure your room comes with 2 beds...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TennisNoob
Reviewed 20 August 2013

After 2 months I had a chance to visit Hong Kong again, this time it was for a family reunion so we were a huge group of 20+ people. Most of us were billeted here at the Prince Hotel (a huge upgrade from the Hostel I stayed in last May). We practically occupied a whole floor.

We arrived around lunch time and the lobby was packed with guests, our check-in was moved to 3:30pm since the guests occupying the rooms we reserved hasn't checked out yet but they let us leave our luggages at the concierge so that we could go around the area.

The staff here are accommodating and would definitely respond immediately in case you need your help (our safety deposit box in the room malfunctioned, they quickly provided assistance even it was late).

Most hotels just like Prince Hotel don't really provided breakfast unless you're willing to pay extra for this (which could get really pricey), but looking for a place to eat is not that difficult (if you're willing to eat at McDonald's that is).

The room: I loved their pillows! It made me want to buy the exact pillows they used since I had no problem catching my Z's after a long day of shopping and touring.

The room was quite big in HK standards which was good. They provided fresh fruit, coffee, tea and water everyday.

Would I be staying here again? Maybe. I would rather stay in a cheaper place (like the hostel I stayed in during my last visit) since I wouldn't be spending my entire HK vacation just in a expensive hotel room. I would just go there to sleep.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2013

What an amazing accommodating hotel chain.

After recently returning from Hong Kong on the 13th of August, i thought i should show my appreciation. I stayed at the Prince hotel as part of a Travel Agents trip to Hong Kong for 3 nights. The check in and check out process was flawless and the rooms were very clean and quiet. The breakfast is held on level 3 in the Add restaurant and there was lots to choose from. Including western and Chinese choices.

I would recommend this hotel to any one from business travelers to families. The location was excellent, very close to the star ferry terminal and the TST MTR line. The transport in Hong Hong is 5 Star, so why not stay somewhere which is up to the same standard.

Thank you again Prince Hotel, you will definitely be seeing me again

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business