“Lovely stay”

Ranked #6 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

As an ex-resident of Hong Kong, it's always nice to go 'home', but also a little strange to have to stay in a hotel. However, if you have to stay in a hotel, you might as well choose the best. I was here on business, just for a couple of nights, but it was a very comfortable stay. Perfect, unobtrusive service, a lovely room and, in general, the high quality that you would expect. I was unfortunate enough to be away from family on my birthday, but at least the hotel made an effort to (partially) compensate, by delivering a birthday 'cake' to my room (in fact, a candle-shaped piece of chocolate, filled with chocolate mousse). May not seem a big deal, but a nice touch.

Rooms are not enormous, but in Central that's not surprising. Unless you turn all the lights on, rooms are also a little dark, but then this seems to be the case in most hotels nowadays. Other than that, a lovely stay and will return to the Mandarin Oriental next time I'm in HK.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 4 May 2012 via mobile

With 4 young kids, I have become accustomed to hotels never having the rooms ready.
BUT, the Mandarin Oriental HK has just lifted the bar!
On arrival at the airport (late at night) the hotel had a driver waiting with a van to fit our family of 6 and all the luggage. As we pull up to the hotel, there are 6 people waiting to help, with sleeping kids, luggage, removal of child restraints, everything. We were then escorted immediately to our room, for in room check-in.
In the room everything was done!! 4 single beds made up ready, each with a welcome letter addressed to each child personally. Child sized bath robes & slippers for each, and gifts!! The room was exactly as we had asked, seperate child & adult sleeping quarters, and living area, all interconnected and secure.
It was such a welcome surprise after a long flight to be able to put the kids straight to bed.
We have stayed in many 5 star hotels & resorts since we became a family 11 years ago, and this is the FIRST time everything has been ready on arrival!! Well done! We will definately be back.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank 4tessa
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I've stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong many times over the years and it is now my default hotel whenever I or our family visit Hong Kong. On one trip, my 14-hour flight arrived quite early in the morning and I got to the hotel around 8 or 9am. I was planning to ask for a shower in their gym (so I could head out to town while waiting for the room) but they had my room already prepared! On one occasion our family of four needed two connecting rooms which we couldn't get confirmation through our travel agent. I emailed the hotel directly, and the reservation manager sorted everything out in no time.

For the hotel itself, the room (usually I stay in their superior room) is beautifully furnished, and well equipped. I like the soundproofing here which keeps the room quiet in the morning (unless there's a big event around the street corners). The mattress and the pillows are exceptionally comfortable they seem to keep us in bed forever. The size of the room is good, not too small, but not so large. I'd say it is adequate for two adults and if necessary, even with one small child. I'd say that the rooms here are cozier than the ones in the Landmark whose emphasis is more on modernity.

I use the fitness here regularly during my stay, and it's well equipped with modern equipment and helpful staff. The spa is also very good if you can schedule it in during your stay. Breakfast buffet (which I had a long time ago) was definitely lacking in taste and freshness, but the a la carte breakfast dishes are quite good. So be sure to 'survey' the breakfast buffet before you sit down.

Around the hotel, there's plenty of shops and restaurants within short walking distances around Central. Even if it rains, it's also possible to walk within the connected buildings. The MRT station is just around the corner, so it doesn't get much better than this in terms of location.

My only gripe here is their wi-fi charge. With this level of hotel and prices, it should have been included.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We went to to Man Wah at the top of the Mandarin Oriental for a celebratory meal after a wonderful couple of days in Hong Kong. We decided to go for the tasting menu with wine paring.

Oh my, it is an experience. And most certainly not for the faint hearted. Some of the menu options although sounded simple/normal, were very much out of the ordinary - deep fried eel, abolone, battered sea cucumber, a chicken dish I can hardly describe that was so beautifully presented non of us actually wanted to crack into it.

The tastes were varied and some not to my palette, but with the views over Hong Kong, the beautiful surroundings of the restaurant itself this was all part of the experience - and what an experience.

Room Tip: Get a window seat, the views are great
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank NikkiGats
Reviewed 1 May 2012 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at the Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong this past April. I love everything about this hotel. Great location, Great Service, Great Dining choices. Had an exceptional dinner at The Grill. Best Dover Sole this side if Dover.

• Stayed April 2012
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights with my mother in a suite. It was fabulous. The service was amazing. We found the location excellent to access public transport, with central station metres away and a short walk to the Star ferry. Shopping is just outside your door.
We ate at the buffet breakfast and the a la carte. We found we preferred the menu of the a la carte and was slightly quieter. However the service was just amazing in both.
I can also recommend the oriental massage...the spa was brilliant.
The hotel does have quite a business clientele mid week and certainly a more casual feel at the weekend.
I would recommend the MO and would be really happy to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Familyof5sydneyZzzzz
Monte Carlo
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Truly a leading hotel of the world, the Mandarin is THE place to stay in Hong Kong.
Each and every one of the staff offer magnificent service day or night and no matter what you need they have it. All of the rooms are the last word in luxury.
I stayed in February with my wife, having used the Peninsula for years but the Mandarin was so good we went back in March and I am just packing for another visit there this week.
Should be on everyone's list of where to stay at least once in your life.
Trust me, you wont want to leave.
Enyoy!!

Room Tip: There isnt a bad room in the place but the harbour views are stunning.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business