“Robust 5 star”

Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #6 of 730 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 24 February 2008

The Mandarin Oriental is in the unfortunate position of sitting opposite what might be the best hotel in the world - The Peninsula, but let's not ignore the fact that this is still a first rate hotel well worth a visit.

Other reviewers have commented on the mismatch between pictures of the room views and reality and I would definitely concur with this - if you want a great view of Hong Kong stay on the other side of the water, but this is a great spot for getting around.

Service is excellent, ever so slightly over-fussy, but still very, very good. I stayed two nights in a Harbour room - the view wasn't as good as I would have expected, but the room was just so incredibly comfortable and very spacious - I think I'm happy to pay for the larger room, the view didn't really matter that much.

One gripe is that they charge for wi-fi access - it really should be complimentary these days. Otherwise, the prices for extras didn't feel disproportionate for this class of hotel - I didn't feel I was being fleeced once I came in the door which can be the case with top notch hotels.

Music on demand; lots of space; exceptionally soft duvets - I will source those sheets for my own home once I get back; a control for the lighting that I could actually work; lovely toiletries and a bath you could dive into.

Breakfast was excellent, good service again. Neat, comfortable. The Captain's Bar, tucked just to the right of the lobby is again the very last word in comfort - I just loved this bar and you'll never see it in the guides because there's nothing trendy about it and the designer isn't famous, but it's a great wee bar.

I didn't make it to the spa, but the fact that it is such a feature of the hotel comes back to it's overall theme: comfort - this is a seriously comfortable hotel, it's actually quite hard to leave it! Like sinking into a wonderfully comfortable old armchair.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank Alasdair M
Write a ReviewReviews (3,010)

Reviewed 24 February 2008

Fleeing smog in Thailand, we landed exhausted and disheveled in Hong Kong, only to be whisked to the single most beautiful hotel I have ever seen. When canvasing for hotel recommendations, many in my family went misty-eyed, and said that I would be stupid to stay anywhere else. And yet, even they could not prepare me for the Mandarin Oriental.

Recently the object of a multi-million dollar restoration, the hotel is proof of what can be done when money is no object, and true love is obviously expended in the work. Everything is perfect - from the beautiful and lustrous gold-and-black marble lobby and mezanine, to the small yet perfectly-designed rooms, and beautiful materials used in abundance. The final impression is one of decadent yet understated elegance, and simply could not be bettered.

By Hong Kong standards, the hotel is, and feels, truly tiny. It has a homely atmosphere, and all the amenities and staff are first-rate. When my girlfriend came down with severe Bronchitis, the hotel arranged for hospital visit, and whisked us there in a complimentary Mercedes S-Class.

The food and services, too, were wonderful - from the roof-top bar with the best Harbor views in Hong Kong, to Man Wah, probably the best Cantonese restaurant in the world, the hotel is simply impossible to fault.

We're heading back to Hong Kong next month. You can guess where we're staying...

1  Thank BochanTraveller
Reviewed 21 February 2008

I had previously stayed at the Ritz Carlton, but that was closed a couple weeks back. So I decided to try the Mandarin Oriental, it's about 2 blocks away from the Ritz.

The hotel is centrally located to the business district. I had many meetings over the course of two days and all were with 5 minutes of the hotel.

The hotel room was very high tech. Cisco IP Phones (for those that care), Wi-Fi access and even USB ports in the desk to charge things like iPhone's or iPod's.

The bathroom was done really well and felt cozy.

The view of the harbor is from the side of the building. Still a good view. The room had a view of a small park.

CAR FANS:
This room had an amazing view of 9 line of track that straddled the park. I enjoyed just drinking coffee and watch the amazing number of Roll's, Bentley's, Benz's, Beamer's, Porsche's, etc....that went by.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank mrjain
Reviewed 20 February 2008

I had pretty high expectations for this Hotel, given the name, reputation, and price; unfortunately, I can’t say that they were quite met. The Hotel is very clean and the staff is very accommodating, but the standard room is pretty small with only one sink in the bathroom. The closets are non functional for clothing, so the whole stay the clothes had to stay in the suitcase. There is a TV in the bathroom, but it is hung in such an inconvenient location that it’s absolutely useless. TV channels are limited although there are a lot of foreign channels, there are no movie channels besides HBO. Movies on demand are available, but of course for a fee and so is the internet connection (about $15 USD/day). There is a business center on the 2nd floor that has a few computers with internet, but that of course is also for a fee (around $15 USD/hour). The gym is small and has bikes and treadmills as well as some weighs. Everything in the Hotel felt kind of small with not enough air and light especially the hallways and room due to the low ceiling. The hallways for example are very narrow and dark. The food in the Hotel was pretty good, but again pretty expensive (e.g. basic breakfast for two was a little over $400 HKD). Overall, I feel that the Hotel is very nice, but not as nice as it can be for the price paid.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank alchik81
Reviewed 10 February 2008

A really special hotel that has been beautifully renovated with great style and taste. The breakfast is particularly fantastic and the staff are extremely attentive and very professional. The hotel has a great pool area including steam rooms and herbals baths. The Mandarin Barber is a destination in itself as is the day spa. The restaurants are excellent.

Our only caution is that the standard rooms (including harbour view) tend on the small size. Whilst beautifully decorated they are too small for something other than a couple of nights. We checked in and moved immediately to a suite which was twice the price of the room we had booked but it was 5 times the size. It was also VERY beautiful. Well worth the additional money if you can swing it.

The absence of an executive club is a great shame.

Will try the Four Seasons next time but no doubt will be back at the Mandarin after that. Its a really memorable hotel with that special inclusion called character.

Stayed: January 2008
3  Thank SydneyAlan
Reviewed 1 February 2008

We reserved a room at the Mandarin Oriental through American Express. We spent a lot of time planning this trip, and the Mandarin Oriental's website showed fabulous pictures of the amazing harbour views from the luxury room we reserved. My husband and I were greatly looking forward to our stay!

We had just spent 4 nights at the Mandarin Oriental in Tokyo and found it perfect bliss. We were hoping for more of the same in Hong Kong but, sadly we were very let down.

The hotel faces at least 6 lanes of traffic, and overlooks ugly buildings. It is not on the harbour, as we had anticipated from the hotel's photography.

We were disappointed when we entered the dated lobby which had a low ceiling. However, check in proceeded smoothly, and we were taken upstairs to our "harbour view" room. We noticed that the hallway leading to the room smelled like mildew, yuck! The room was modern, but looked directly into other buildings. If you walked to the study area and craned your neck you could see a sliver of the famous Hong Kong Harbour. This is not what we had paid for.

We asked to be shown to a room with a harbour view as we had reserved. The woman with us pretended that she was shocked that the room did not face the harbour, and then took us on a lift down to the 7th floor and led us along another musty smelling hall to a room that had obviously missed out on the hotel's updating, (including ugly tiles in the bathroom). While it faced the harbour, it mostly had a view of an old post office building and the buzzing traffic of the highway that runs past the front of the building. With pits in our stomach, and wanting only what we had reserved and no more, we pointed out that the room was clearly one or two levels below the one we had reserved. Having reserved through American Express, you are supposed to be upgraded if available, not downgraded. The woman rolled her eyes, called downstairs and we had many uncomfortable minutes waiting for approval to take us to a room on a yes, still lower floor. It had an even worse view, but was at least the layout we had reserved. It was still really disappointing, and much smaller than it had appeared in the Mandarin Oriental's pictures.

By this point my husband and I were uncomfortable. We do not enjoy complaining, and could not bear to stay in the hotel. My husband's office arranged for us to stay at the Four Seasons, which was gorgeous in every way, and a million times superior to the faded, ugly Mandarin Oriental.

The manager of the Mandarin Oriental apologized for the runaround we had received, and but just shrugged when we said the pictures are nothing like your website. He then proceeded to charge our credit card $550 for a late cancellation. Never mind that we never would have had to cancel if they had provided the room with the view that we had reserved!

Next time we'll spare ourselves the aggravation, and go directly to the Four Seasons.

Stayed: October 2007
29  Thank Londontimes
Reviewed 28 January 2008

Outstanding standards of service at this high-class hotel. Great location in Central - opposite the Star Ferry Terminal and within walking distance of shopping malls and the Peak Tram.
Staff trained to a very high standard - nothing was too much trouble. Concierge staff were exemplary. We were upgraded to a Harbour View Suite which was a delightful bonus. Whatever the type of room you stay in, it's the service that makes this such a great hotel.
Breakfast in Cafe Causette offered a huge range of delicious juices, pancakes , breads and cooked meals.
Make sure you have the afternoon tea in the Clipper Lounge though you'll need to make a reservation as it's extremely popular.

Stayed: December 2007