The Mandarin Oriental is in the unfortunate position of sitting opposite what might be the best hotel in the world - The Peninsula, but let's not ignore the fact that this is still a first rate hotel well worth a visit.
Other reviewers have commented on the mismatch between pictures of the room views and reality and I would definitely concur with this - if you want a great view of Hong Kong stay on the other side of the water, but this is a great spot for getting around.
Service is excellent, ever so slightly over-fussy, but still very, very good. I stayed two nights in a Harbour room - the view wasn't as good as I would have expected, but the room was just so incredibly comfortable and very spacious - I think I'm happy to pay for the larger room, the view didn't really matter that much.
One gripe is that they charge for wi-fi access - it really should be complimentary these days. Otherwise, the prices for extras didn't feel disproportionate for this class of hotel - I didn't feel I was being fleeced once I came in the door which can be the case with top notch hotels.
Music on demand; lots of space; exceptionally soft duvets - I will source those sheets for my own home once I get back; a control for the lighting that I could actually work; lovely toiletries and a bath you could dive into.
Breakfast was excellent, good service again. Neat, comfortable. The Captain's Bar, tucked just to the right of the lobby is again the very last word in comfort - I just loved this bar and you'll never see it in the guides because there's nothing trendy about it and the designer isn't famous, but it's a great wee bar.
I didn't make it to the spa, but the fact that it is such a feature of the hotel comes back to it's overall theme: comfort - this is a seriously comfortable hotel, it's actually quite hard to leave it! Like sinking into a wonderfully comfortable old armchair.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The iconic Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong is the epitome of contemporary luxury combined with Oriental heritage. Having delighted guests with award-winning service and impressive facilities for over 50 years, it is the much-loved address for those seeking an exclusive sanctuary in the heart of this exciting city. The spacious rooms and suites offer magnificent views of the famous Victoria Harbour and the city skyline. A collection of ten outstanding restaurants and bars, including three with Michelin stars, and a Shanghainese-inspired holistic spa, indoor pool and 24-hour fitness centre, make Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong the recognised home away from home for discerning leisure and business travellers alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong Hotel Hong Kong
- Mandarin Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Mandarin Oriental