“Absolutely the Best.”

Ranked #6 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Spain
“Absolutely the Best.”
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I was 15 years old and living in Hong Kong when this hotel was built, it was the first Mandarin Oriental and I had my 21st birthday at the Mandarin Grill. I went back for my 65th and we spent 6 nights. Although renovated since I first saw it being built it is still the best hotel ever and they lost none of the charm when they updated. The location is convenient for the business center of Hong Kong and for the Star Ferry or subway, although taxis are so cheap there is no need to take public transport if you do not wish to.

The Clipper lounge is, as always, a great place to meet, have breakfast, or lunch. The Mandarin Grill is no longer dark and stuffy and the food excellent. The staff there made my birthday special and the second night we went we still felt special. The Man Wah is good Chinese food and the M Bar has an excellent view where the staff attend to you with charm. The cafe Causette is constantly busy and the coffee shop or cake shop adjacent to it offers amazing cakes and chocolates.

Every single staff person we dealt with contributed to what was a memorable experience for me and I would want to thank them for that. The concierge even found a 2013 Chinese Calendar we wanted to bring home for a 90 year old Chinese man who likes to see what the day ahead holds in the way of health, happiness, wealth etc.

Our harbour view room was spacious, a fascinating place to look out of with the binoculars provided. The bed and bedding luxurious, the bathroom and amenities top class. Plenty of cupboard space and even a steamer for your clothing.

Since my youth I have stayed in many hotels all over the world but the Mandarin Oriental remains so very special. The service, from the moment you arrive until you are waived off in their limousine to the airport, is exemplary. One of their staff met us at the airport and helped us with our luggage and all the check-in procedures at the airline desk and escorted us to the Immigration.

What more do you want than that?

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 30 October 2012

This is not a first time for us at a Mandarin Oriental Hotel but it is our first time at the Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong and yet again the standard of service of the Mandarin Oriental never fails. Conveniently located with direct access to the major shopping malls and transportation links, the hotel is very accessible. The hotel boasts a number of excellent Michellin Star restaurants and bars and should not be missed.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ravi K
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Can't fault this hotel. Just staying in the Mandarin Oriental for five nights, was a holiday on its own. Standard room is large with everything most travellers would require. Large bathroom with Hermes toiletries. Beds and bedding, which I am very particular about, are devine. All bars and restaurants are of a very high standard with extensive wine lists. There is absolutely nothing that is too much trouble for these people. We asked if it were possible for someone to write the name of the wine we were drinking, on a slip of paper, when dining in the grill restaurant. It arrived in no time at all, a copy of the label in a beautiful envelope. The buffet breakfast is an excellent start to the day. Choice is huge. Fantastic position re shopping etc. Even medical assistance very close if it were needed. We were told on day of check out that there would be somewhere we could freshen up if needed. We were leaving Hong Kong on a midnight flight. We were absolutely amazed when we were shown to a room the same as the one we had booked out of earlier in the day.the little accessories around the room are all very useful and the little messages left each day are a joy. To me , the Mandarin is somewhere you can go just to lay back and enjoy, it won't let you down. I stayed there with an older female member of my family, but anyone is going to love Mandarin. Didn't get to the spa, but have heard only amazing reports. Will definitely be booking in next time.

Room Tip: Room was quiet, nice view of city, but of course in Hong Kong, the more money you pay, the better th...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Nyree04
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I live in Aus and visit HK for work once or twice a year and prefer to stay at MO owing to its location in the CBD. Usually it's perfect or near enough.

However, there were 3 or 4 quibbles this time. First is I requested a non smoking room but they put me in a smoking room. So I requested a change which came after an hour, so no major damage. Then when the bellboy moved my luggage he didn't set it up on the stand. Again not a big issue. Then the Chinese vegetable was overcooked In the hainan chicken. Then a technician had to reboot my tv which was playing up. All in the first few hours of arrival. None of these in isolation a problem, but the cumulative effect was just annoying.

Also, if you pay the entry level rate as I did this time, you risk getting a room with no view but for the offices in the St George's building next door, so it's worth paying up for the next room rate.

• Stayed October 2012
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Ok, I may be biased, i've practically lived at this hotel for the past 3 years with very regular 3 nights stays on each occassion. However you just can't fault it. From the bell boys, to the concierge, to the check in desk staff, to the rooms, to the Captain's bar for a wind down or Man Wah for some great grub. It ticks all the boxes. I haven't mentioned the gym which is well equipped. The pool is small but adequate and the sauna/steam room are excellent as well as spotlessly clean.

As for the rooms, it depends which type. Personally I think the studio suites are too small. The deluxe rooms are great, as Hong Kong is like a second home the views to me aren't important but if you can get a harbour view room - do so, although I quite like the Square view which has views towards Wanchai. The suites are sumptuous, very large, great wardrobe, and a bathroom to die for - huge roll top bath, separate walk in shower. the sitting area is great with a 2 seater sofa, large LCD tv and a desk.

If I have to have a criticism then it would be that the lifts don't have a close door button - that's it, talk about a petty gripe huh?
It has to be my favourite hotel in the World.

Room Tip: Avoid a room on the opposite side to Connaught Road if staying a Saturday night - you'll likely...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Las Pinas, Philippines
Reviewed 29 October 2012

The Mandarin is constantly good! There is no need for us try another hotel in Hong Kong. The rooms are beautiful, comfortable and the view... breathtaking! Best thing about the hotel is the wonderful service they provide. Another plus is the location, just steps to the finest shops as well as the MTR. What else.... excellent breakfast! Great bar downstairs, Captains's bar. Spa and salon, a must try!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
Reviewed 27 October 2012

This was our first stay at The Mandarin Oriental and it did not disappoint. Prmarily a business hotel it is a short walk to the train station and major shopping malls. The service was amazing, they could not do enough for us. Our arrival was streamline as was our departure. The rooms were lovely and spacious. Truly a 6 star hotel.
We normally stay in Kowloon and the only thing we missed about Kowloon was the views of the city at night.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business