“Outstanding”

Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #6 of 730 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed there for 2 nights, for the first time. I chose it because I have stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore several times, which I think is great. The Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong lived up to its reputation. A wonderful hotel. Outstanding staff. The only minor issue concerns the restaurants. Their reputation is so high, that many non-hotel guests seem to eat there. My restaurant of choice was booked out, but the concierge went to great lengths to find me a spot (successfully). You should try to make a restaurant booking before you arrive in Hong Kong. Overall, a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,010)

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Our dinner in December 2012 prior to our midnight departure from Hong Kong was the best way to end our visit. We had originally planned to come for tea but arrived much later and ended up with the dinner buffet. It was outstanding and the best buffets I have ever had. The sushi was so fresh and they had some items that I had never seen before. The hot items were delicious and they had a huge assortment. The desserts were delectable and beautiful to look at. I am looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Selling a package and not living up to it saying said package is subject to availability only, when you check in is really below a fine hotel Like this. After even emailing them to confirm the package, without reply from the hotel, they still did not honor it but admitting both receiving the email and the package they offered, strangely it was not available but if we would have paid another 2700 HK dollar said package would have been available. STRANGE. Front desk even arguing instead of apologising, never again. This package is no longer on the web page of MOHK so I guess us criticising them selling something they had no plans to honor is no more which is good for future travellers, I guess in Europe it would be called a scam selling something you do not intent to honor. Fantastic room and nice hotel but the whole stay was ruined by the fromt office and the offer they did not honor which sad to say was prepaid else we would have walked out.

Room Tip: DO NOT PREPAY, make sure you get what you reserved.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2013

In my humble opinion this is finest hotel in the world. I’ve stayed at the Mandarin at least a dozen times over last ten years and have never ever been disappointed. The consistency in service and quality is astounding in today’s environment. The room lay out and amenities are phenomenal. From the double head shower, super comfortable bed and pillows, massive wall mounted TV to the master lighting bedside control panel. There is a valet closet accessible from the hallway to pick up dry cleaning or deliver packages/paper. They thought of everything, even the art in the hallways. They refurbished all the rooms a few years ago, but keep the essence and ambience of the hotel in tact.

After a long flight, I know regardless of the time of day or night, my check in will start with a big “welcome back”. A two-minute check-in and then I’m walked up to my room with my bags no more than 2 minutes behind. I’m offered some complimentary tea to relax and also opt for room service. I ordered the Mandarin club that arrived in 30 minutes and was terrific as usual. In the corner, my iron and starch that they always place in the room to freshen up my shirts.

What ever you feel like for breakfast. A spectacular buffet or the Mandarin Café that services the most amazing breakfast I’ve ever had. The Mandarin cake shop has pastries and fresh coffee if you want something light to go. The other food options – Man Wah and the Grill – excellent. There is nothing better than happy hour at the Captains Bar off the lobby. The hotel location is walking distance to everything you need in central.

I’ve stayed at many 5 star hotels and from top to bottom this the finest. Service, location, amenities, and people – you feel like part of the family. The Mandarin staff do all the small things that make the stay here so enjoyable and a special experience. I can go on all day with story after story about how the MO raises the bar. Bottom line, this is the benchmark that no other hotel has ever been able to equal during all my travels.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 November 2013

There is always a worry when you spend a lot of money on a hotel (in this case around £500 a night), that you will be let down. Not with the Mandarin Oriental! Every part of my stay there was wonderful: from the airport pickup (highly recommended after a long flight), to my room on the 20th floor overlooking the harbour, the in-room check in, champagne on ice waiting, fantastic housekeeping and the general friendliness of the staff. If you are looking for luxury in Hong Kong this hotel is just perfect. I guess if I had to come up with one criticism it would be the fact that they charge for wifi - a bit cheeky given their charges. But otherwise, one of the most fabulous places I have stayed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 November 2013

One of the Best hotel with amazing service and great care. They are really exceptional in every sense.

A hotel with great reputation and reknowned for luxury hotel ticking all the boxes.

It is an old buidling but they have done the great job with room refurbishment and well maintained. Really happy with the decor, layout, amenities, designs and everything is consistent across all the MO hotels. Simple but more than good enough!

Welcome tea and welcome gift as usual. Nice amenities with different items such as mini perfume, mist and eye pack on each day during my 4 day stay. Comfortable beds helping us to get a perfect night sleep. Nice sofa by the window. Good art collections. Spacious bathroom with separate walk in shower and bathtub with white and black color match.

Pool is a bit small but we enjoyed the spa and massage. The spa facility at Four Seasons or Peninsula is much better than MO but good therapists with great skills.

Traditional hotel with great service and care for their guests. Simply amazing in every sense.

A must stay hotel!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NamidA88
Reviewed 26 November 2013

All the superlatives that have been mentioned in past reviews are accurate. I highly recommend the "meet and greet" limo service from the airport. Having never been to Hong Kong before, we were guided seamlessly from the arrival gate through customs and immigration out to a waiting Mercedes limousine, never having to touch our bags until we arrived at our room where a representative from the hotel checked us in from inside our room. No waiting in line at the reception desk. We celebrated my wife's birthday at the Mandarin Grill & Bar and it lived up to it's Michelin rating. We also dined at their Man Wah restaurant and found it to be very good as well. The breakfast buffet was excellent. Try to get breakfast included in your room rate. Otherwise it's a bit expensive at $HK 677 for two. The hotel is located within easy walking distance to high end shopping, the subway and the ferries. Most of it can be accessed by covered or enclosed walkways. We look forward to coming back to the Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong again someday.

Room Tip: Book a room with a harbour view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple