“Nice, but not perfect”

Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #6 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I just finished a week long stay at the Mandarin Oriental, where I stayed with a friend to celebrate Chinese New Year. The location is fantastic and the service is mostly really really good to exceptional. The room layout is smart; it's not an overly large room, but everything was set up for you to actually use it. The fitness room and spa are also great and over the week we ate at 4 of the restaurants. So for service, when it was exceptional, it took your breath away how someone would member your name and what you liked, it made it all very personal. However, the concierge service was inconsistent, the staff in Cafe Causette tried to convince 'we' really didn't want to eat there, yet we watched them graciously admit others, and also the servicing of the room was quite inconsistent. Billing is a bit sad because when you pay over $700 a night, you just don't expect to have to pay $10 (especially when it is free throughout Hong Kong) for internet and get an additional $50 service charge when you eat at the included breakfast buffet. Just a bit strange - it's liked they haven't completely committed to being a 5 star establishment.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the harbor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,049)

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong at the start of a two-week trip through China. It could not have been a more perfect stay. The service was excellent and the amenities were very nice and pretty. The location of the hotel is exceptional because it was near everything we wanted to see, including walking to the tram and the star-ferry, both of which are very fun and exciting. The concierge was also very kind and helpful, and helped us find the best restaurants and attractions. Overall, the stay was very pleasant and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Emma S
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Was in Hong Kong on a business trip the 2nd week of January. Had always been recommended to try MO. Well, I finally decided to try it out. And I must say, I am definitely impressed with the service provided and how meticulous they are in ensuring that their guests feel as comfortable as possible. I will commend especially to their In Room Dining team. They not only provided expedited service but was extremely detailed as well.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Hadn't been back for a while, they surprised me with an upgrade to a corner suite and a complimentary spa massage to make up for an issue I had on my last visit 5 years ago. Nice touch and pleasant surprise - I'd forgotten about the free massage!

The corner suite was excellent. Service, room decor, ameneties, Nespresso machine, walk in wardrobes, stand alone baths, super duper standalone showers etc were all faultless which you'd expect at these prices. The standard rooms can feel like an outstanding business hotel but the corner suite felt quite special. On par with The Oriental in Bangkok.

Whilst they couldn't give me a super late checkout, I was offered use of a courtesy room for an hour to freshen up before my late night flight. This was effectively a standard room which was more than adequate and much appreciated. Thank you hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter. Do ask for non-smoking if you prefer this, sadly in Asia people still smo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Just a perfect, classic hotel. From check-in to check-out the service was impeccable. My room was lovely.. comfortable, modern, clean, and big. I enjoyed dinner one night and the dover sole was some of the best I have ever had. The cigar room, while small, is great with nice seating and a great selection. The M Bar at the top is beautiful and one of my favorite places in HK to get a drink. Recommend staying here, eating here, smoking here, drinking here, etc. Very helpful concierge as well.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2014

It's been quite awhile since I stayed at the MOHK, but that time has given me a opportunity to compare against other hotels including other MO properties. I felt that the service was top notch. I took advantage of a Meet and Greet service at the airport and from that point to the check-in done in the hotel room where hot tea was offered, all went very smoothly.

The room had a nice view of the Harbor and had very nice furnishings, as well as extensive in-room AV options. I had to do some work overnight from the room, and the staff helped me with multiple faxes which had to go during the course of the night, and that was done seamlessly and without a hitch. Finally I have to say the Spa facility was outstanding and easily cured my jet lag. Breakfast was great quality and the staff the most attentive I can recall anywhere.

I've visited other 5* properties including MO but haven't experienced the service level I felt here. I have recommended it and will continue to do so.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Harbor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My wife and I (both from Georgia, USA) met in the lobby of the Mandarin. We decided to return to Hong Kong for our 25th wedding anniversary. The Mandarin was the hotel we remembered: perfect. Aside from beautiful, comfortable, quiet rooms, the most outstanding aspect of the hotel is still service--no one ever says "no" or "that's someone else's job" to a request. Some of the staff had been there continuously since our original stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple