“As always!”

Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #6 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Husband and I stayed at the Mandarin for the fifth time in December 2013 (whilst visiting our son) on route to Bali. We were warmly welcomed at check in and after a couple of minutes one of the receptionists handed my husband our company business card and asked if the address was still current. They had kept this for 8 years! As other reviewers say, a timeless classic hotel, excellent housekeeping, excellent accommodation and excellent staff. We didn't eat at any of the restaurants in the evening this time but did enjoy huge, wonderful breakfasts! We would not stay anywhere else when visiting Hong Kong.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This hotel delivers the trademark style and grace of the MO group, but in rather an uninspiring building. If the building had been more interesting , I would have given them 5 out of 5, rather than the 4 I am giving them now.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I have stayed here and other hotels in Hong Kong. This is the very best, the service is immaculate and the rooms, while quite small are perfect in every way. I return and return to this hotel now. All the restaurants are superb and the spa is great with a really nice swimming pool.
Not often said, but I think it is faultless

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms are nicest
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank vivthetraveller
Reviewed 25 February 2014

First stayed here thirty years ago and while the hotel has been renovated to provide modern rooms and amenities , it retains all of its original charm. Check out the lobby wall with antique Chinese carvings. Location in Central is close to everything.
Roof top restaurant Man Wa and the bar are terrific, but reserve for dinner as it is very popular.
Breakfast/ brunch is wonderful and has huge selection of Asian and Western food.
What makes it really special though is the staff and service. For example, on a recent stay the Concierge staff even assisted some colleagues of ours who were staying at another hotel ! ( and they had to call an airline to get the answer for them. )
First Class.
A special treat in every way.

Room Tip: Harbour or park views are good, but the city side is just as interesting.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed just for one night following our cruise from Singapore. We arrived early and were met with " welcome to the Mandarin Oriental Mr & Mrs Woolf. We were shown to our room which is superbly furnished and our luggage followed within minutes. The quality of the beds, towels and fittings is first class. We had a late check out and the room had been cleaned with fresh towels so we could shower before our long flights back to the uk. Unfortunately our pre arranged transport arrived but was insufficient to take four of us together with our luggage . No problem for the concierge who contacted Emirates and with a great deal of persistence arranged for another car. Not only that there was a Mandarin member of staff at the airport to take us through to check in at the airport. Fantastic service with a smile at all times and a great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a sea view .
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This is a very short review- as all I can say is that this hotel delivers everything 5* totally seamless - good location - the staff -the rooms- the food. If I return to Hong Kong this in where I will stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Summary: The Mandarin Oriental just celebrated its 50th anniversary. It is and remains a Hong Kong icon and even if you don't stay here, you should at least visit for a meal or a drink. Its at the heart of, and represents the best of, Hong Kong in every sense.

Pros: Service, ambience, style, location

Cons: Hmmmm… struggling to think of anything…

Its nearly exactly two years since I last wrote a review for tripadvisor. I just got married (thank you) and we had an intimate reception with our close friends at the Mandarin Oriental and stayed that night. It seemed an appropriate time to write a few reviews for the MO and the honeymoon that followed (see separate reviews for Oberoi Hotels, India, to follow).

I have lived in Hong Kong for around 8 years and therefore don't often need to stay at the MO - and that is my loss. I regularly eat or have a drink at the MO and it is one of my favorite locations in Central.

The MO exudes a sense of confidence, style and grace and it is always an oasis from the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong. The hotel is situated right in the centre of Hong Kong (Central) on Hong Kong Island. It is a perfect location to stay for either business or as a tourist, right in the middle of the Central.

I now travel every two to three weeks within in Asia and stay in various hotels in the region. The Mandarin brand is one of the strongest (Bangkok being another favourite) and Hong Kong is where it all started. It is always a pleasure to walk into the Mandarin in Hong Kong: it has a unique ambience and elegance. (And in case you are unaware, there are two Mandarins in Hong Kong - there is also the Landmark Mandarin which was originally opened when the Oriental was being refurbished several years ago - there are also two Shangri-Las (and indeed two Lan Kwai Fong hotels, and only one is remotely good!).)

Back to our stay, I realised that there is something you get at a hotel like the MO - and that is complete peace of mind. You know that anything you could need is only a phone call away, that you will be incredibly well looked after, that your possessions will be completely safe and the staff will have an abundance of common sense and thoughtfulness. Of course you pay a premium for this but it is something that, in some ways, you can't put a price on. And on a big day (like your wedding day), it will reduce stress factors significantly (it certainly did for me).

Two examples shone out. Firstly there was Joanne Cheng, the director of catering - she was simply outstanding in the support she provided up to the big day; her flexibility, sensible suggestions, attention to detail and polite follow-ups regarding things I had inevitably forgotten!

And speaking of forgotten, there was a last minute snafu that required me to dash back to the hotel from the registry in a cab to collect something forgotten (not the ring mind you). I jumped out of the cab, barked something (probably rudely) at the valet/doorman about not letting the cab go and rushed up to my room. There is no way the cab could stay where it was (its a single lane drop-off off a busy road), but he sensibly asked the driver to circle the block - when I came down again, he calmly told me what the situation was and she pulled up 20 seconds later. (I am pleased to say I did at least get the chance to thank him and apologise for any brusqueness on our return - safely married.)

There were lovely touches in the room, a lovely welcome, a room upgrade and generally an unobtrusive professionalism to the whole experience. The room was lovely, very comfortable, beautiful bedding, muted tones, all the extras one could need - the fabric steamer I was about to call down for was already there in my room.

I should finish-up by saying that there is an enormous sense of pride in Hong Kong attached to the Mandarin Oriental (for others in this city, its the Peninsula - the other iconic Hong Kong hotel, situated Kowloon side). Hong Kong has an huge number of fantastic hotels (the wonderful Upper House being named the second best in the world by this very forum), but for old world Hong Kong elegance, charm and understated sophistication, it will always be the MO for me.

If you can't stay, at least pay a visit to this wonderful institution. The restaurants and bars are all outstanding.

As you can tell, I am yet another fan.

My thanks to the MO for making our special day so memorable.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple