“Setting a new standard for 5 star hotels...”

Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #6 of 727 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 16 April 2014

First visit after the renovations and over 10 years ago...and they still have my last visit details in the system! I'm very impressed. And they upgraded me instantly to a Harbour View room!!
I guess the lobby couldn't be changed at all, was basically almost the same layout. Unlike some of the other reviewers, no one explained to me the new room, and therefore i missed the morning papers which was in the butler compartment. The room and amenities made up for all that. Best hotel bed I've slept in for a long while.. Hermes toiletries, coolest looking hotel slippers (couldn't resist taking them home) Nespresso machine.
Breakfast was sufficient, not outstanding, but the seating could be improved, it looks cramped with lounge type seating even onto the walkway.
Will I stay there again? Definitely! But after I try out the Mandarin at the Landmark first..

1  Thank ray167
Write a ReviewReviews (3,006)

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Ideally located in Central, extremely close to Hong Kong station and piers and perfectly convenient when you arrive from the airport. Efficiency from reception staff, concierge and porters is flawless. Somebody from the reception showed us to our bedroom and explained the main features: light remote control, etc. Everything is designed to make your life easy and comfortable while staying in the hotel. The decoration is cosy and warm and makes you feel at home. I loved the bathroom, with its walk-in shower and bathtub. I had trousers and shirts dry-cleaned and washed and I was happy with the service. Breakfast buffet was sumptuous, so many good and tasty things to choose from to start a new day, definitely loved it. Staff was extremely efficient and welcoming and people smiling. We also had an afternoon tea during the weekend and it was worth it. The only thing I had to complain about (I wrote it in the satisfaction survey and got a prompt answer from hotel management, which is a good point and shows their customer-orientation) was that the air-conditioned was so powerful, even though outside temperature was barely above 15° beginning of March, in the breakfast room it was freezing cold, especially if you were sitting under the ventilation slit. It was pretty much uncomfortable and had to ask every morning to be seated away from ventilation slit. Nevertheless, I am very much looking forward to staying once again there and I hope I will be able to enjoy the spa and other facilities next time.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alessandro P
Reviewed 13 April 2014

From the moment you arrive you are treated like royalty. Check in takes place in your suite, while a colonial tea awaits you. Never before have we experienced such attention to the little things. Each night you return to your room to yet another small gift, be it mist spray for ambiance, or bath crystals. No request is too big for the Mandarin staff, and what we found exceptional is the turn down service and room management. Each time we left our suit we simply pushed a button to have our room serviced. Not once did we see cleaning staff or things such as vacuum cleaners. The place was immaculate at all times, with the grace of what can only be imagined as fairies, (never seen).

The location is superb, right near central ferry station and located within one of the major shopping malls. the restaurants on offer are amazing, dinning at Pierre is out of this world, but be warned as this is not to be done on a budget! (on booking at Pierre, a deposit is automatically reserved on your credit card). Then again, how often is one able to dine at a two-Michelin starred restaurant? If you are looking for something a little less extravagant, the choice of cuisine is broad, as the Mandarin boasts 10 in-house restaurants.

We were fortunate enough to be staying during their 50th anniversary celebrations. This was fantastic, as each night there would be an invite to an anniversary event! Upon departure the smallest detail was not ignored and an envelope was left in our room the night before; if we would like our boarding passes printed the Mandarin would be most obliging.

What an absolutely magical stay. The one minor, yet necessary event as we were checking out was the mandatory fire-drill which was rather loud and intimidating, but one can see the need for such housekeeping drills. Overall, one can see why this is the 3rd best hotel in Hong Kong (at the time of our stay).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Johberg_Diner
Reviewed 12 April 2014

What American hotels could learn from this hotel...This will be a very positive review, but I do want to balance it somewhat, so I'll start with what could be improved: The decor is a bit late 80s - lots of brass and black marble, the room was probably the smallest in the hotel (Room 1811) and the ceilings are quite low...but really, who cares?? The place is great. I had probably the smallest room in the hotel, but felt like a king. Shower was amazing. Hermes shampoo, wonderful robe and slippers.

And the dumb waiter/pantry thing is the best invention ever. Right by the front door is a 'closet' that can be opened from inside the room and also outside the room by the staff. You can put your laundry here or shoes to be polished, press a button and in minutes a little elf comes and takes it away without disturbing you. Your morning paper is delivered here as well. Brilliant. When I am King of The World, I will command all hotels to have this feature.

Splurge and arrange an airport pick up by the hotel. They practically come on the plane and get you and when they take you to the airport, they help you check in. Wow.

I hope when I come back I can score a bigger room to see what it looks like, but I'll take my wee home away from home as long as they let me stay there.

Thank you, Mandarin Oriental!

Room Tip: I was in Room 1811. Smallest on the floor I think. Bed may be a queen or merely a double. I'm su...
1  Thank DAVID C
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This is the Grand Dame of Hong Kong, although she is clearly showing signs of age despite multiple facelifts and the regular shot of botox…

I always stay at the Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong because it’s right next to our office – and I like it a lot, despite its resemblance to a post-war council block tower. Upon arrival it isn’t particularly impressive, unlike for example the London MO which is properly grand and stunning on entry. This place looks a bit tired, worn and old, but does have plenty of what we can refer to as ‘charm’ or ‘character’.

I’ve always liked the rooms, which are fully contemporary and impeccably presented, and on my last visit I was upgraded to a suite - replete with a pair of binoculars for harbour-gazing – which was expansive, luxuriously appointed and completely fantastic. The provision of Aqua di Parma toiletries only adds to the sense of lushness. Buffet breakfasts on the mezzanine level are sensational – focused on quality rather than quantity, yet with something for everyone. ‘Air yoghurt’ and bone ham with mustard are my 2 new favourite things…

And the gym is decent too, despite falling for the classic chain hotel predilection for rows of cardio machines with very little in the way of free-weights or contemporary workout gear like heavy kettle bells or functional training equipment. They do have a couple of quirky cable / stretch / pulley stations embedded into the walls that feature their own video-based tutorials but that is just distraction.

The minor gripes I have about this place centre on the other places where you spend your time and money…I tried a 60 minute classic oriental massage and was very disappointed. Too much fluff and not enough stuff – a convoluted process involves registering, handing over shoes, signing declarations, meeting the bathroom attendant, having a briefing, receiving robes, getting changed, being escorted by a minion to the massage rooms, introduced to therapist, then the usual dialogue of oil types and preferred pressure before it’s all over and you’re ushered into a relaxation / tea room, before being able to finally (after a long wait) reclaim your shoes. I reckon my 60 minute massage was 35 mins at best, and was pretty unremarkable for the hefty price tag.

The 2 main public drinking spaces are also poor. The top floor cocktail bar is a bog standard contemporary space with zero atmosphere, and a limited cocktail selection which is not well executed. I had 2 Manhattans, both of which tasted completed completely different, and one lost a third of its volume by being slopped on the way to the table. The famous Captain’s Bar is also massively overrated – it may well have been a regal sipping room in days of yore, but today it is simply a raucous trough full of loud bankers and ugly prostitutes. I tried to have a drink there at 7pm on my 2nd night but couldn’t hear myself think.

Luckily, the excellent SEVVA bar is close by so you can easily escape there.

In previous visits I’ve dined at most of the main restaurants – including the Mandarin Grill - and always found them to be of a similar style; genteel, sophisticated, complex, expensive, and ultimately not great value – that’s why I eat out every time I visit Hong Kong now. I recently had sensational evenings at the Blue Butcher (steaks), Fatty Crab (cocktails and rock n roll food), and of course there are dozens of other great restaurants that will deliver you twice the experience at half the price; unless you’re a sad lonely time-poor business traveller with nowhere else to go – in which case you can always bust the expense account on dinner, then get drunk in the Captains Bar with other people just like you, before retiring for the night in fine Mandarin style…

1  Thank Johnlisa27
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Just a fantastic experience, from beginning to end. They took great care of us right at check in, even though our room was not ready (we arrived quite a few hours before checkin). The concierge desk was amazing, recommending tours, as well as taking the time to find us a foodie tour (we had done one in Boston and one in Athena and loved both). When the leading company was unavailable, Indira never gave up and found us a private tour for the same price and we had a great time around Wan Chai ans Mong Kok, looking for unusual (at least for us) thing to try.

What can I say about the room, just fantastic, with tea service when we finally got the room after a visit to the Sitting Buddah. They still provide Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte products, love them!!!! Bed is super comfortable.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough. You won't regret it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I can not say enough nice things about our recent stay at the Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong. My wife and I stayed two days after completing a 2 week cruise on the Crystal Symphony in Southeast Asia.

Upon our arrival, We were warmly welcomed and escorted to our suite which was gorgeous. The staff member then assisted us in calling the spa and arranging a series of treatments. The room was spotless and very comfortable with a great view. There were refreshments waiting for us. Later that day a beautiful display of chocolates arranged on a chess board were delivered.

Over our two days the staff was the most friendly, professional and attentive of any we have experienced. The breakfast buffet was great and the location very convenient.

We have stayed at premier properties around the world and would highly recommend the Mandarin Oriental when in Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Try to get an upper floor for less street noise. We're were on 15 and it was fine.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple