“Fantastic”

Ranked #6 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I have stayed at this property a few times and the attention to detail is flawless! I love the more modern rooms with the window seat and lighter colors. The concierge staff is amazing and extremely helpful. The mandarin Grill is truly one of the best restaurant in Hong Kong. Innovative food and great service. The location is wonderful as a few minute walk to the star ferry and the MTR is right outside the back door of the hotel. If you don't have lots of luggage like I did you can take the airport express direct to the airport. The location in central is so much more relaxing than the congestion of Kowloon. The pa could be freshened up a bit but the treatments are on point.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view even partial is amazing.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I have been staying at this hotel for 10 years, it's old school and I keep going back for the superb service. The service remains excellent, the night time additions like eye masks, foot spray a welcome change from the chocolate on the pillows! What bothered me this time was my check in. I always have the same type room, more modern with nice window seat, I prefer this as the other types are stuffy and so obviously designed with business men and not women in mind. This time big issue, more money required and it was just dealt with in a very unsavoury way (even though I did pay more!). I felt very disappointed. That said all other aspects including cleanliness, amenities, mandarin cafe and room service all faultless.

Room Tip: Ask at check in for a more modern room especially if a woman,
2 Thank DeboraTravels
London
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I just loved staying in the Mandarin. It's quite a large hotel but the service was so individual and the staff always addressed us by our names. I would never stay anywhere else - we were totally pampered. I miss it already!
The rooms were immaculate and spacious, the laundry was done swiftly and efficiently, the wifi always seemed to work. It made a week's work for my husband in this city totally stress-free ensuring that he got to where he needed to go. They even designed and printed off a custom-made route for us to take by tram and foot to Western Market and to Mid-Levels on his day off!
The breakfast was so ample and delicious that we really did not need any lunch and we the really intimate M Bar at the top with fabulous views over the harbour. (And super delicious cocktails).
One of the salient features, is its location, as it seems that buses, ferries, trams, trains all stop within seconds of the Mandarin. In fact, when we arrived, we took the Airport Express train from the airport which left us a couple of minutes from the station via the footbridge. We did not seem to need to take any taxis here at all - it was all so close.
I cannot wait to go back in the autumn!

Room Tip: I loved our room. It was a deluxe room with super kingsize bed on a high floor (19th) and our rate w...
1 Thank Claudia H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I was given a spacious room - no fault there. I had to pay for WifI - not good when you are paying a few hundred pounds a night.

I just think they try to0 hard to be the hotel they were 50 years ago - everything glistens, a dozen staff everywhere opening doors and saying good morning. Couldn't get a table for breakfast one morning. One coffee cup served at a time, mounds of bread but no rolls, fruit under plastic containers with lids so low it was nearly impossible to get the fruit on my plate. It looked lovely and pristine as does everything there. The lights are so complicated you need a manual. For the people that come back year after year, I am sure they will continue to do so. I'll opt for the Landmark next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Will103
Amelia Island, FL
Reviewed 29 April 2014

When ending a Far East trip, we wanted to revisit the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Hong Kong. Our first stay there was in 1986 and we remembered that it was an exceptional hotel. It still is! From the service, management, concierge and accommodations were impeccable. Even the driver who brought us to the airport and the check-in service at the airport were way above average. Our suite was so spectacular, I could stayed for months. Don't miss the tasting menu at the Man Wah restaurant!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Sant Cugat del Valles, Spain
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Excellent location and excellent service. Our memeory of Hong Kong will alwqays be associated to our experiunece at The Mandarin Hotel. It was perfect sionce we were collected at the airport by the hotel limousine until we arrived back at the airport three days later.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Mandarin Oriental from the moment of arrival to the point of departure.

Staff at the hotel are true ambassadors for the hotel who at all times professionally and flawlessly dealt with any request during my stay.

The rooms are sumptuously decorated. Hats off to the interior design team who redesigned the hotel in 2005. Unlike some redesigns where everything looks nice but is impractable, this redesign is well thought out. A desk/seating area by the window allowed me to work and enjoy the view over the harbour during the day before my meetings. The bedroom area included a lovely king size bed where the mattress was the perfect stregth to allow a good night's sleep - why is it that so many other hotels have hard and uncomfortable mattresses!! The bathroom was also very well equipped with one of the best hotel showers I have ever encountered in many years of travelling. The addition of a bathroom TV which could be viewed from both the shower and the bath thanks to a revolving mirror (you have to see it to know what I mean!) was ingenious!

Only two quibbles on the room (both VERY minor):

(1) the shower kit (Hermès Orange verte) is a very strong fragrance which may not for some (myself included).
(2) dividing curtains between the bathroom/bedroom and bedroom/study, whilst tastefully designed, seemed slightly tacky and not in keeping with the rest of the room.

The "big" fault of the hotel is I am afraid room service. As a business traveller who sometimes needs to use room service to save time between meetings, the room service could have been so much better. Breakfast was perfectly fine - a nice dim sum tray and a salmon bagel were very tasty. Dinner was a mixture of good and very disappointing. A starter of onion soup was lovely but the rest of the meal was stone cold upon removal from the heated compartment of the room service trolley. The hotel's handling of the feedback about this on check-out was professional and appreciated.