“Joining the 'excellent' queue”

Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #6 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Preston, United Kingdom
“Joining the 'excellent' queue”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Belated review of one of the best hotel experiences in Asia - just wanted to join the 'excellent' queue on TA; memorable moments were the fact that we left our luggage in reception, were escorted to our room by lift, and the luggage was there before we were.
Also, within hours, random members of staff would politely greet us BY NAME when entering lift, bar, restaurant etc. with no recollection of previous meeting - bizarre !!
Also, the Australian Wagyu beef with black pepper sauce in the Man Wah lives on in the memory banks.
Finally, thanks to Mr Carluccio for being so gracious in our chat at the M Bar - hope the book sales went to plan !!
Paul & Judy

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

In a city with many fantastic hotels the original Mandarin always exceeds expectations. Service is flawless and unobtrusive from checkin to checkout. Your needs are well anticipated and special requests are fulfilled efficiently and cheerfully. As a regular visitor I always feel a special welcome and preferences are remembered from one visit to the next. Rooms are comfortable and warm with a balanced blend of contemporary and traditional Asian touches. Those with a view of the harbor are especially nice. The Captains bar is an iconic meeting place and Man Wah restaurant is one if the finest in the city. The location in Central is ideal for business and pleasure, close to the offices in IFC, the Star Ferry pier and the restaurants and clubs of Lan Kwai Fang. For those who enjoy cigars the Cohiba Cigar Divan is one of the best cigar lounges I the city. I have stayed at almost every other luxury hotel in the city but the Mandarin remains my favorite edging out all the rest

Stayed July 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Mandarin Oriental on a business trip. The welcome at reception was excellent and booking in was very quick and efficient. I got a free upgrade to a suite which was a real bonus. The suite was superb. Spotlessly clean, spacious, bedroom and separate lounge area, two TV,s and great views. Beautiful bathroom with a deep bath and a separate shower cubicle. Internet access was extra at about £11 a day, but I wouldn't complain as I was getting a suite for a hugely discounted corporate standard room rate. I had both breakfast and dinner in the hotel on two occasions and these were also excellent. Throughout the stay the hotel staff were all extremely polite, courteous and helpful. I will definitely be returning the next time I'm in Hong Kong.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is an amazing hotel. Lovely rooms, beautifully appointed bathrooms and the staff are genuine in their service. 5 star service really is 5 star service at the Mandarin Oriental. Definitely a cut above our stays at other Hong Kong hotels. Lots of attention to detail in the room, good supply of toiletries / amenities, lots of cupboard space for luggage, lovely turn down service, lots of water provided for free in the room (really lovely in Hong Kong summer), free WIFI in the room, and we had our kids stay with us and they received cute little backpacks and a teddy bear that were on the bed when we checked in - so lovely to welcome the younger guests :-) Staff are friendly, polished and very genuine in their service. We didn't use the pool, but had a look - it's indoors and quite small, not recommended for families, but great for swimming laps. Close to Central and IFC (walking distance). Loved our stay at the Mandarin Oriental.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank buzziebee
Paris, France
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Each time I travel in Honk Kong, I stay in the Mandarin Oriental. Travelling for business quite often, I had the oppotunity to try a few hotels. In the Mandarin, every thing is perfect as soon as you push the door (of course you do not push the door, some one will open the door for you!) until you check out. The service is perfect. The rooms are spacious, very clean, with classical decoration, beds are very comfortable, bathroom are perfectly clean with various welcome toiletries (Hermes for bath gel and shampoo). Large wardrobe. Keetle, cooffee, tea as complementary. The hotel is very quiet, means you do not hear other people in the corridor or in the other rooms. Try the Spa at the 24th floor: the Oriental essence massage (signature one of the hotel) is exquisite: a must! Have a breakfast at the clipper lounge: it's delicious. And if you fly late in the evening, you can have a shower at the spa even if you checked out in the morning. Luxury is in service in small details. The Mandarin Oriental is one of the greats. Of course I will come back next time.

Room Tip: Try to have a room at the top floor, with a view on the bay. Suites are definitly more comfortable i...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Isa M
New York
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here with my wife and kids, on a short layover. Everything was perfect but we encountered a small hiccup on the way out. The bellman I called arrived at our room unprepared for six pieces of luggage. He was completely flustered and tried to drag six pieces to the elevator without a cart or calling for help. I finally helped him with two pieces but he still couldn't handle the other four. It was like a scene from Fawlty Towers! Anyway, I was a bit aggregated but thanked him as I could tell he was flustered, tipped him Hk100 because I felt bad for him. We arrived at the airport, and the mandarin team there had been alerted to the hiccup and smoothed our way through the checkin. It was impressive. They apologized for the experience. I had never been greeted by them at the airport. My wife was impressed. Sweating the details makes all the difference. Still the best. In the world, IMHO.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank UWSFoodFan
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My second stay of the year at the Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong. On this occasion I had the smallest room available - but everything was just as it should be: comfortable, luxurious and excellent. The service in this hotel is outstanding - old fashioned in a good way. It's the small details that stand out - all my cables tidied with neat Mandarin Oriental cable ties; a small microfiber cloth left next to my laptop (still proving useful back at the office); twice daily room cleaning when needed.

The rooms are immaculate with all the facilities you'd expect from the world's finest hotels. The restaurants (I ate in three of them) were all fantastic also - but expensive (although that is not a surprise). Overall, I think this hotel is one of my favourites in the world - and I am looking forward to returning later this year.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business