“Still the most classy and convenient hotel in Hong Kong.”

Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #6 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Minato-ku, Tokyo
“Still the most classy and convenient hotel in Hong Kong.”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Still a Great Hotel and a great flagship hotel for the firm. All the services were first class and the dining facilities meet most tastes. For business the location is almost perfect (you can do 1 hour business meetings on a budget of 1.5 hours and still be on time to the next meeting in Central. Also a great tourist hotel with easy access to the ferry terminal and harbor tours.

I was very fortunate on this stay (out of more than 20 prior stays) to be given a harbor view room. On my other stays (as a corporate "discount" client) I was give a non-view room and I must say that I missed out on a lot as a result. The harbor view is wonderful and gives you a sense for the "old Hong Kong" as the Mandarin is one of the few commercial buildings left from the 1960s in Central. If you have the chance, try to get a harbor view room on an upper floor. Soon the view will be blocked by high rise buildings to be constructed on reclaimed land between the hotel and the Star Ferry terminal. So, enjoy it while you can.

I also agree with the "classy" comment. Expect to feel underdressed as many of the elite clients are in the .001%.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view room. You will not regret it, especially if you stay a few days. The harbor...
1 Thank Abacae

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 August 2014

From the moment I stepped into the hotel, I was made to feel welcome - from the doorman to the reception staff - there was immediate friendliness and desire to ensure that my stay would be faultless - and it was. I was upgraded to a harbour view room (the binoculars in the room were a nice touch) which was very spacious, beautifully appointed and had an excellent work area. Breakfast in the Clipper Lounge had a fantastic array of choices - both European / American and Chinese. Even after check-out, when I came back from a meeting to collect my luggage before going to the airport, I was given a room to change and freshen up in. This is a hotel to better any I have stayed in due in large part to the great staff.

Room Tip: A harbour view room (giving a view of Kowloon) adds to the wow factor.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Can not fault this hotel. Everything was of a very high standard as you expect of this brand. Received upgrade to Oriental Suite, great views, ice ready in room on arrival, good food, and lovely bar at top of hotel with great views. We stayed for 3 days, and wish it was longer.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed 27 August 2014

They don't miss much at this hotel. The redone rooms are very nice and there are many restaurants to choose from. The only negative is the food at breakfast. It is good but mostly cold and not as good as it should be. Also, it is subtle but the Mandarin gets a classy clientele...mind you, if you use the word classy...you have no class and don't know what it is!

Room Tip: Figure a way to get Barbour view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
JSHongKong, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Jim B,

Thank you very much for sharing your comment. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay in Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong and regret to hear that you are disappointed by our breakfast.

Please accept our sincere apologies and may we invite you to email us at mohkg-guestcomments@mohg.com that we may contact you directly. May we ask if you had breakfast in Clipper Lounge or Cafe Causette?

We assure you that your constructive feedback will be taken seriously and corrective action taken as appropriate. We also hope to provide you with a satisfactory response upon full investigation.

Thank you once again for taking the time to give us your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Yours sincerely,
Aqua Chiu
Social Media & E-Commerce Manager
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We just finished a four night stay here and it was perfect. From the airport meet & greet, check in at the room,service in the restaurants and concierge, it is just flawless. We travel extensively around the world and this is one of the best hotels anywhere. Do not hesitate to book the Mandarin, it is fantastic !!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I have been staying at the Mandarin-Oriental off and on for nearly a decade, and never get tired of it. There are many superb hotels in Hong Kong, but non of them compare to the understated extraordinary service a guest receives at the Mandarin-Oriental. I note understated because I have had the sense at other top hotels in Hong Kong that the staff are trying too hard to please. At the Mandarin-Oriental, superb service appears to come naturally. An example of this service was a member of staff seeing me clean my glasses with a tissue. When I returned to my room later in the day, I found a microfiber cloth awaiting me. Add to this level of service, the best location in Hong Kong, iconic restaurants and bars, exquisite fitness facilities and spa, and rooms and common areas that define comfort. I look forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: There is no need for all the rooms are delightful.
1 Thank Craig K
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We just adore it here - between us this was our 30th stay! Incomparable service and attention to detail, down to baby proofing our room with corner protectors and electrical plug covers. We will continue to come back over and over again to our home away from home.

Stayed August 2014