“Lovely British style afternoon tea”

Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #6 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Berkshire, United Kingdom
“Lovely British style afternoon tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

We had spent three weeks touring China where the idea of service to tourists is still a bit hit and miss, so it was lovely to come to civilised Hong Kong and experience afternoon tea at the Mandarin Oriental hotel. We were shown quickly to our table and offered a menu. As there were three of us we opted for the afternoon tea for 3 people but there was so much food we could have ordered it for 2 people. The coffee and tea came quickly,- it would have been good to have been offered a fresh coffee and tea later, but we could have asked. The tiered cake stand with all the delicious treats looked gorgeous. The small quiche and savoury items were tasty and the sandwiches were delicious, especially the rye bread sandwich, but I felt there could have been more variety of sandwiches. The scones were delicious and there was a lovely selection of cakes. We then had a drink in the Captain's bar where the service was efficient and the wine delicious. Our visit to the Mandarin Oriental was a lovely way to finish our holiday.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sheilambutcher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Zurich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

The Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Hong Kong has always been my one of the best hotels in the world and definitely a favourite of mine. This starts with the airport meet-and-greet directly at the airbridge continues with the warm welcome (it really feels like coming home) once the hotel is reached and with a myriad of other service options and excellent restaurants. The level of excellence in all its services is stunning. Besides the wonderful gym and spa a very nice introduction to "Taipan (Tycoon)" Hong Kong day is the Mandarin Barber shop.with a wet shave in the morning.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

- perfect service right from the beginning: extremly attentive and friendly staff,
- well equipped rooms, a bit the style of the seventies but not at all oldfashioned (not the same as all the others ... :-) )
- the food is of a perfect quality, western and eastern cuisine and some nice wines (not very cheap but excellent choice)
- centrally located

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BURGWIN
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

My daughter and I stopped over in Hong Kong on our way to Taipei and after looking at several wonderful choices available in Hong Kong, I decided on the Mandarin Oriental because of its location and history. If you are on a budget, don't bother. As we stepped off the plane at 18:30 Hong Kong time, after a 13 hour flight plus 90 minutes on the tarmac, we were greeted at the gate and walked through immigrations and customs. The limo was waiting curbside and off to the hotel. Upon arrival we were once again met curbside and walked past registration directly to the lift and our connected Harbor View Rooms. My daughter crashed on the couch as I completed five minutes of paperwork overlooking one of the most beautiful harbors in the world. The service continued from there all the way to our 05:30 checkout this morning where the bellboy was at our door and the limo was curbside and once again, we were walked to our airline checkin and off to security. While we were there I had some shirts laundered (it was actually less expensive than at home) and upon arriving back in my room that evening, they were neatly folded in a whicker basket ready to be packed. The restaurants were excellent. We had lunch one day at the Man Wah and it was simply outstanding. The food excellent as we just allowed the head waiter, Mr. Leung, order for us. If lunch was not enough, Mr. Leung gave my daughter a quick Mandarin lesson as my daughter was headed to study in Taipei for the balance of the year.

I could go on and on but you have to experience it to understand it. I travel a lot for work and have stayed at many fine hotels and there is a difference between flash and class and the Mandarin Oriental is all class. It is right there with the Empress Hotel in Victory, BC, The Lodge in Lake Louise, Hotel Lancaster in Paris and so forth. If you don't understand the difference between The W and this hotel, stay at the W, however, if you want to experience something special, stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Spend the extra amount if you can and get the Harbor View room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Charles S
Minato-ku, Tokyo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

Still a Great Hotel and a great flagship hotel for the firm. All the services were first class and the dining facilities meet most tastes. For business the location is almost perfect (you can do 1 hour business meetings on a budget of 1.5 hours and still be on time to the next meeting in Central. Also a great tourist hotel with easy access to the ferry terminal and harbor tours.

I was very fortunate on this stay (out of more than 20 prior stays) to be given a harbor view room. On my other stays (as a corporate "discount" client) I was give a non-view room and I must say that I missed out on a lot as a result. The harbor view is wonderful and gives you a sense for the "old Hong Kong" as the Mandarin is one of the few commercial buildings left from the 1960s in Central. If you have the chance, try to get a harbor view room on an upper floor. Soon the view will be blocked by high rise buildings to be constructed on reclaimed land between the hotel and the Star Ferry terminal. So, enjoy it while you can.

I also agree with the "classy" comment. Expect to feel underdressed as many of the elite clients are in the .001%.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view room. You will not regret it, especially if you stay a few days. The harbor...
1 Thank Abacae
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

From the moment I stepped into the hotel, I was made to feel welcome - from the doorman to the reception staff - there was immediate friendliness and desire to ensure that my stay would be faultless - and it was. I was upgraded to a harbour view room (the binoculars in the room were a nice touch) which was very spacious, beautifully appointed and had an excellent work area. Breakfast in the Clipper Lounge had a fantastic array of choices - both European / American and Chinese. Even after check-out, when I came back from a meeting to collect my luggage before going to the airport, I was given a room to change and freshen up in. This is a hotel to better any I have stayed in due in large part to the great staff.

Room Tip: A harbour view room (giving a view of Kowloon) adds to the wow factor.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

Can not fault this hotel. Everything was of a very high standard as you expect of this brand. Received upgrade to Oriental Suite, great views, ice ready in room on arrival, good food, and lovely bar at top of hotel with great views. We stayed for 3 days, and wish it was longer.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple