“My Favourite City Hotel”

Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #6 of 725 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 10 August 2009

This was my fourth stay at the Mandarin Oriental in five years and the fourth since it was reopened following refurbishment. It remains one of my favourite hotels to stay anywhere in the world and I find any excuse I can to go to Hong Kong so that I can stay there. There is great continuity of staff so that one recognises faces as old friends when one returns.The staff go out of their way to be helpful.

The rooms are very well appointed and comnfortable. I always find I have the best nights sleeps I have anywhere. There is total quiet notwithstanding there is a busy area all around.

For the first time I used the Mandarin Barber and had a top quality haircut and pedicure. The spa is also excellent. The only slight disappointment is the swimming pool which is small and can really only accommodate three people at a time. This is normally not a problem but on one occasion on this visit I did have to wait about 10 minuted before I could use the pool.

The restaurants and bars are excellent and the location in the middle of Central is excellent.

I cannot wait for my next trip!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank PKFlanders

Reviewed 8 August 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights at the start of our honeymoon as a stop over on the way to Bali. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite, which was amazing. The hotel never failed to surprise us from the start to finish and was easily the best hotel i've ever stayed in.

From the momnet we checked in the staff were brilliant, attentive but not overwhelmingly so. The lady who checked us in showed us to our 'room' and then told us we had been upgraded as we were on our honeymoon. The suite was amazing, with lounge area, walk in wardrobe, bedroom and the bathroom which was the best part of the room. It has a free standing shower in the middle of the room and the biggest bath tub which easily fit two over looking hong kong harbour. Im told by my wife that the toiletries are extremley good too.

On arriving back to our room on the first night the hotel had left a bottle of verve clique champagne in our room on ice, which was a very nice and unexpected touch.

Breaksfast was really good, choice of pretty much any type of breakfast you could want. Again the service was brillaint. We didnt sample any of the restaurants but did have a few cocktails in the bar which was nice.

Hotel is very well located, short walk the subway and star ferry. Near LKF and shopping malls.

Reading some other reveiews, people have complained about the building work going on opposite, but this isnt really the fault of the hotel and could have happened anywhere in the world, there was no noise from it though and it didnt spoil the view, depening on what they are building on the relcaimed land this may affect the room in future which would be a shame.

Only possible negative was that we were only staying 3 nights and the hotel internet service was a little pricey.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank mattbutt
Reviewed 4 July 2009

Very nice and large rooms, top of the class service, one of the very best hotels I have stayed at.

Strongly recommended. If you can afford the high ticket, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Lucky-Smith
Reviewed 18 June 2009

On this trip I stayed for one night at the end of a swing through Asia. Its a great place to end a week on the road.

I booked the studio room, it was a good size, at the back of the hotel, gym was good with very helpful staff.

Car service from the Airport is always great.

When traveling alone people watching becomes an essential pass time, and the Captains bar is a great place to do it!

Post facelift its still great, but I do miss the balcony!

Still have to pay for Internet access though!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank WorJacky
Reviewed 11 June 2009

From the moment I checked in until the moment I checked out, I have never experienced anything quite like it.

I was here for one week and had booked the cheapest room available a Study Room. On arrival I was met at the door and swept through reception to check-in in my room. Already a nice touch, to be informed that I had been upgraded to an Oriental Suite!!

The room was magnificent with every mod-con you could think of and a bathroom with a huge bath directly overlooking the harbour, quite simply stunning.

The bars and restaurants are great but with so many great places to eat in Hong Kong I really only used the Captain's Bar for a nightcap or two. Ice cold beer served in pewter tankards what could be finer and also very friendly bar staff.

One must do whilst staying at the hotel is to go for a Shanghai Pedicure courtesy of Samuel So in the Mandarin Spa, the man is a genius and your feet will look and feel twenty years younger after he has worked his magic.

One day i went out and left my jacket hanging on a hanger on the back of the door, it had a tiny rip on the seam. I came back to find it had been repaired with the compliments of the hotel, unbelievable.

The hotel is really conveniently located and attached by a walkway to the Princes Mall where you will also find the rather excellent Italian Tailor for those essential purchases.

I also needed to buy a cheap extra suitcase to take back Christmas or people that lived in the UK, I asked the concierge and he immediately sent out someone to buy me one.

To top it all off, the day I left I got a call from the concierge to ask how I was getting to the airport, I was intending using the reliable MTR service. Please he said use the hotel limousine with our compliments.

The Mandarin Oriental is the hotel that every other should try to emulate and I'm afraid to say has made me even more of a hotel snob than I used to be!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
5  Thank gazborangers
Reviewed 11 June 2009

This is the first time I stayed in Mandarin Oriental after its renovation and I was pleasantly surprised with the extensive luxury of the room, decor, amenities and most importantly the 'little' personal touches. For example, I was travelling with a fiction novel, and when I got back to the room, I found that the turn-down service has inserted a bookmark in my book, Wow !!!!.,

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank ajinsg
Reviewed 5 June 2009

Someone said this about the USP for a hotel - there are 3 most important criteria for a hotel and they are 1) Location, 2) Location and 3) Location!! Thats true about Mandarun Oriental Hotel in Hong Kong. Its right in the middle of the CBD - with access to the Central MTR station or the Hong Kong MTR station (where one can check in for the airport) in walking distance along with the Central Pier for the ferry being a stone's throw away. Not to mention the walking distance access to the famous Lan Kwa Fong (the most happening evening night spot).
To top it all - the rooms are very spacious and well appointed. But the icing on the cake is the Salvatore Ferragamo complimentary toiletries!! The bar is fabulous - with (surprise! surprise!) - a live band from west indies. The bar serves some great "Gunner" (ginger beer with ale and bitters).
Its one of the best business stays I have had in any city.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank arnabsengupta100