“World class”

The Peninsula Hong Kong
Ranked #12 of 727 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Everything was perfect from the first to the last minute.

We where picked up at the gate in the airport with a club car, escorted through customs and immigration and a porter was waiting to help us with the luggage at the baggage belt (o.k., we booked the Rolls-Royce transfer service).
Check-in was done in the room and we even could do it at 8.30am in the morning (our flight arrived at 6.45).
Breakfast (1st floor buffet) is wonderful, the swimmingpool is phantastic, the "Felix" a must (not only the gent's toilets :-)
We also had dinner at the Chinese restaurant (excellent Peking duck) and we where the only Europeans there. All other guest where locals...
The room was stunning (Grand Harbour view). Not enormously large but full of gadgets. There are three tablets where you can control everything - from the lights and curtains, Radio & TV to the room service menu. They even stream radio stations from all over the world - we where able to listen all the time to our beloved "Classic radio" from Hamburg. The bathroom was wonderful - all white and green marble and large enough for two at the same time with seperate shower and tub and double vanity.

The Concierge service was very friendly and helpful - we had a lot of email exchanges before and they organised tickets, restaurants etc.etc.
All the staff is efficient, friendly and very well trained - as you would expect in such a hotel.

The entrance to the MTR (subway) is just opposite the back entrance and from there you get everywhere - very convenient!

Whenever we come back to Hong Kong we will stay at the Peninsula - it's on our favourite list now!

Room Tip: Book a Grand Harbour view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank andreas_zeidler
Write a ReviewReviews (1,694)

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We have stayed at this hotel once before - a number of years ago now - and were completely blown away by the quality of the hotel and the absolutely excellent customer service. I am very pleased to report that the same levels of excellence are still present today. We stayed in an entry level room in the main building and it was absolutely beautiful. These rooms have been renovated recently and are utterly tasteful in design while at the same time being completely practical (for instance, having substantial amounts of storage space). You can control pretty much everything in the room (curtains, lights, room service etc.) via a tablet in your room. They also have internet telephones so that you can make international phone calls at no cost, and wifi in included in your rate. We used the pool area which is a real treat (you can watch the light show each evening from that area) and visited a number of the bars. The downstairs bar, Salon de Ning, was a particular highlight - an intimate bar with live music and beautifully designed. The Peninsula is more expensive than places like the Mandarin Oriental (where we also stayed) but it is superior in every possible way and worth every penny.

Room Tip: Although the rooms in the tower with a harbour view are stunning, I personally like the entry level...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank akmonaghan
Reviewed 17 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here several years ago stopping over on a trip through Asia. We stayed on the 22nd floor penthouse with the finest view of the harbor. Our room view exceeded that of the Philippe Starck restaurant which was just below us! Couldn't figure out how to turn off the overhead music, "love is a many splendid thing..." but that was the ONLY qualm I had. Everything else was perfect and what every Peninsula guest deserves. Truly a respite for the weary discerning traveller. The spa was not spectacular but better than average. We had more relaxing reflexology treatments in a small alleyway establishment a few minutes away. There is no other place I would stay while visiting Hong Kong.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jedeye525
Reviewed 17 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Peninsula for 2 nights on our way to Australia. From the moment we arrived we were greeted by amazing service and a wonderful room. Although its not cheap it certainly offers value for money if you are looking for something special. The iPad control system in the room worked a treat and we really couldn't pick fault.

It sets the bar high in the luxury hotel market!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TucksBath
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We spent three nights here on our way back to Australia from Europe. Everything from the greeting at the entrance through to the room, the restaurants, bars, facilities and service were first class. It is expensive but it is somewhere everyone should stay at least once. all of the staff seemed to genuinely enjoy their work.

The tablets in the room which control everything you need were great.

We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erica B
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My apologies now if I sound a bit in love with this hotel!

The deluxe rooms are a very comfortable size and with the harbour view make a very nice setting for dinner. They are kept virtually sterile every day with the turn down service adapting to your patterns- I was falling asleep around 1900 due to time zone differences- in the end they came early to set the room up, the maid introducing herself and to call housekeeping to send her back if I needed anything else. The room is very well appointed and the bathroom was a joy to unwind in with the TV and radio available while you have a bath.

Reception was friendly, helpful and efficient. The concierge were also very good after they managed to track down a Brush Calligraphy Master to do a bespoke item for me. The pool was a lovely place to be however the poolside 'restaurant' ruined it a bit for me as it obstructed the view out over the city skyline. The location is good but do not be fooled by the harbour view rooms- if you want to see the symphony of lights you are best walking to the promenade as I think the experience is lost through the windows.

The Lobby gets quite busy in the afternoon as people queue up for afternoon high tea, luckily guests of the hotel can make a table reservation and be seated straight away. Room service offers a 'limited' menu but the prices are not so savage, although I must have been the only one using it after the lady on the other end of the phone began saying hello again and asking how I was!

So in short as the title says exquisite, if the staff made more small talk like I experience in the Melia Dubai I think I would see no reason to go home, I hope the Peninsula Bangkok lives up to the same sky high standard.

Room Tip: Book what you can afford, the harbour view rooms are a postcard picture in themselves
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Lightmeup
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I went because of James Bond and the green Rolls Royce and all I had heard.

I had lunch at 2pm in the foyer - and even then people were queuing for afternoon tea... don't know why because the tea was about as expensive as my very good, beautifully cooked and presented lunch. The service was fabulous, discreet, quick, unhurried, subtle.... lovely.

The best bits were - for me - the building itself 1920s colonial rococo, and the people watching. There is nothing more amusing than watching people staggering about laden with high-end shopping bags in weirdly "trendy" clothing.... ghastly brattish children indulged to the hilt; ancient wives clinging on to out-live their palsied husbands; trophy wives fearful of being out-trophied (and atrophied); happy rich young people on honeymoon..... the list goes one.

So, I would go for the experience. I suspect that the afternoon tea whilst popular is overpriced... my lunch seemed very good and well priced. Can't comment on the rooms as I haven't won the lottery.... I would gladly review the rooms, without bias, if the management were to offer me a freebie suite :)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo