The Grand Old Lady has been renovated to the highest level but she has lost her charm as a great place to stay. She is more Disneyland than Luxury Hotel now.
Our delivery by Rolls Royce from the airport should have felt special. On arrival we were let out of the car and pointed to the entrance. From that moment on it went all wrong. Standing in the middle of a huge lobby/lounge area we had no idea where to go. We found check in, after passing a desk that turned out to be the Concierge but had no notice to that effect.
Our room was superb in every way. Beautifully renovated and state-of-the-art controls via electronic tablets. The bathroom was equally excellent. However we were woken up two nights in a row with lights coming on and strange things happening. Eventually they determined it was a problem with the tablet so high tech can cause problems as well as bring joy!
The hotel is famous for its afternoon tea, which is held in the beautiful and grand lobby. People start lining up at just after 1 p.m. - tea starts at 2 p.m. In order to get to the elevator to our room we had to file past lines of people, the line went towards the outside door on a Saturday. This gives the hotel a "theme" atmosphere and many people now come in as tourists to gawk at the decor.
On arrival we tried to get a massage in the Spa for the next few days. Nothing was available at a decent hour. Needless to say, we checked out on the Sunday and moved to the wonderful Mandarin Oriental Hotel on Hong Kong island. We managed to get a massage at the Spa in no time. A much better experience and a true five star. The Peninsula is a four star in a five star's clothing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On 11th December 1928, a legend of Asian hospitality was born – The Peninsula Hong Kong opened its doors for the first time. Classic, contemporary chic arrives at The Peninsula Hong Kong, as this legend of the East redefines luxury once more. Heralding the latest guest-focused technology and a new era of personalisation, the launch of the newly renovated guestrooms in The Peninsula Tower have paved the way for the transformation of guestrooms in the Original Building, which will be unveiled in April 2013 to usher in the hotel’s 85th anniversary celebrations. Accenting simplicity and elegance, the new rooms aesthetic melds the distinctive design touches and high-tech extras present in today’s luxury yachts, motorcars, and private jets, taking The Peninsula guest experience to a new level of comfort. Extensive facilities include a Roman-style swimming pool, a 12,000-square-foot Peninsula Spa, nine award-winning restaurants and bars, superb banqueting and meeting areas, plus a Shopping Arcade.A fleet of fourteen Rolls-Royce limousines is available for luxurious airport transfers, and two MINI Cooper S Clubmen reflect the legendary Grande Dame’s youthful spirit, while the hotel's own helicopter service provides the ultimate in speed and style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Southall Travel, Travelbag, Agoda, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The Peninsula Hong Kong reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Peninsula Hong Kong Hotel Hong Kong
- Peninsula Hong Kong
- Peninsula Hotel Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Peninsula