“Luxury Reloaded”

The Peninsula Hong Kong
Ranked #10 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have to say the Peninsula is an extremely unique hotel, steeped in history, but at the cutting edge of luxury and technology. When my wife and I decided to visit Hong Kong, The Peninsula was the only hotel I considered, despite being an avid Four Seasons patron.

Upon arrival the hotel is immediately impressive, with it's raft of Rolls Royce Phantoms for all to see, although at times the outside can get quite full of cars, which can detract a little from the pomp and circumstance that this hotel emanates.

The lobby is a sight to behold, with it's impressive décor, imposing staircase, galleried orchestra area and plethora of designer shops as far as the eye can see. After being checked in we were escorted to our room, where a huge expanse of floor to ceiling glass perfectly framed the spectacular Hong Kong harbour by night. I have to say at that point I kind of switched off and didn't hear a word the desk clerk had to say. This is where I begin to run out of superlatives, sufficed to say the view is out of this world, and over the five days it wasn't one we tired of.

Our Grand Deluxe Harbour View Room was nicely spacious, with every technological advancement you could possibly want, 3 tablet computers (1 on each nightstand and 1 on the writing desk) are your central hub for both room control and information. There is also 50” 3D LED TV with a hidden subwoofer, 3D BluRay player, a charging hub for almost every mobile phone or tablet you could possibly think of, and even a nail dryer, these are just some of the vast array of gadgets at hand. Every control and information point is an LCD touchscreen. I have to say as an IT consultant and all round gadget fiend, I was left gob smacked, from a technology standpoint it makes the Burj Al Arab look like it's something out of the dark ages! The hotel exudes quality and style, and an opulence which is quite unique.

Sadly the only restaurant we frequented was The Verandah for breakfast, the buffet was simply outstanding, with everything you could wish for, irrespective of which continent you decided to dine at. My one gripe was that on our first morning at breakfast we were greeted by some kind of waitress who was a) a little surly, and b) looked us up and down, not acceptable as far as I am concerned, you make everyone feel welcome, after all, it's the guests home whilst they're staying there. My wife and I decided to order room service rather than visit the hotel restaurants, after a hard days sightseeing there's nothing more relaxing than a long hot bath, and eating dinner in front of the TV, and it was very impressive to say the least, we eat a varied array of cuisines, and they were all of an exception standard.

The Spa is most impressive, capitalising on it's high vantage points, and great views, if I had to make one criticism I would say the changing rooms for the pool were down some very narrow stairs, which don't make it the most convenient to get to and from, but not a big deal.

So often reality is a pale comparison to your imagination, well, this is one of those rare cases where the reality is even better, this is a prestigious hotel, and rightly so, it is simply stunning, and will be our choice again the next time we visit Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Harbour View Room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jo D
There are newer reviews for The Peninsula Hong Kong

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is a luxurious historical masterpiece , peninsula never fails to deliver a great setting .
With few cons that I could state : over crowded to the extent it looses the personal service attention expectation , all seem in a rush .

In terms of design the corridors and business centre is off the mark when it comes to being symmetrical with the hotel design , the colours grey and black is Armani like bit not peninsula like , given there lovely dark wooden doors and cabinets .

An incident where the reception refused to hand me smaller change for 1k hkd for having a staple mark which was accepted else where , not that I even noticed it bit u never deny a guest his request ,

All in all I highly recommend it and would definitely come back again .

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The Peninsula has long been on our list of 'must dos' and I was a little concerned that it wouldn't live up to expectations. But our stay was fantastic.

We had booked a Delux harbour view room - which was bigger than I was expecting and very nicely decorated. The only downside was that it was a smoking room and when we called to ask to move to a non-smoking room we were incredibly surprised to be shown to a corner suite overlooking the harbour. This room was absolutely spectacular and consisted of dining room, living room, bedroom, dressing room and enormous bathroom overlooking Kowloon. For an old hotel, I was surprised to see how high-tech it was - you can control the curtains, lights, heating and and TVs from an ipad. The TVs had a very wide range of channels and free movies.

We also booked a couples spa package - which included a fantastic bath tub overlooking the harbour - -and the massage was one of the best I've ever had.

The staff were friendly, helpful and professional and overall our experience was second to none.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brit-abroad-in-Asia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The Peninsula is a historic building on the Kowloon side of HK. It stands for elegance and old money glamour. A seriously seductive place to stay, get married, or for an overpriced high tea. Beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The hotel is over 85 years old and does a very good job combining the modern with the traditional. Everything here was spotless, high tech, and luxurious; but, we found the service somewhat lacking when it came to face to face communication. All our email communications prior to arrival, including those requesting the Rolls Royce pick up service and short notice lunch reservation at a popular restaurant, were dealt with promptly and with a great attitude. However, when we arrived at the hotel after a long flight, we felt we could have been greeted in a warmer, friendlier manner. The check in process was a bit slow and the staff seemed less than eager to help us along. This was not true of the staff at check out though. On the plus side, the wifi in the Rolls Royce was a nice touch and much appreciated. We were having a nice time in the car until our driver burped and filled the car with a pungent garlicky smell. Although you can probably blame this one on cultural differences, it was still an unpleasant experience for us.

We had breakfast in the Verandah, which we preferred over the lobby restaurant. The breakfast spread was not as extensive as other luxury hotels we've been to, but it served the purpose just fine.

We did ask for the shopping arcade discount vouchers upon check in, and were presented with an expired voucher for the chocolate shop. We didn't bother to go back and ask for another one, even though we purchased some delicious (and expensive!) chocolates. The rest of the shopping arcade was also really nice, offering numerous clothing and jewelry luxury brands.

The pool area in the tower section of the hotel was gorgeous, offering a great view of the harbor. We were here 18 years ago and don't remember the street view of the harbor being obstructed by the building across the street back then. It is now! We could see the harbor clearly though from the pool on the 8th floor. The pool was really nice, the kind of pool you'd want to swim in even if you're not particularly into swimming in hotel pools.

If you'd like to experience the best the city has to offer, then the Peninsula is it. The locals are very proud of the hotel. And, the VIPs prefer to stay here, although they like to be picked up from the airport and transported to the hotel by helicopter. Come here if you can afford it. It's practically a tourist destination and must see when in Hong Kong.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank OzziesPiddles
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stay in a room in the front. We got a upgrade to a fanatic suite at 82 m2. Free IP telefon and a complementy dinner. The pick up service with one of the hotells fifteen Rolls-Royce Phantoms was like a royal welcome. The best hotel we evner have visit!,

Room Tip: Choose a room with Wien to Hong Kong Island
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have been to Hong Kong more than 50 times but mainly for business so never stayed at The Peninsula. I had been to Felix for dinner but staying there is a completely different experience.

From check in to check out, it was magnificent. I'm really sorry I never got the name of the lady who checked us in because she was like something from of a film set. Calm, friendly, informative and very professional. The sort of person that made you smile, feel valued and relaxed.

We had Harbour View Rooms and I think it is the best room I have ever had. The technology (for a change) worked flawlessly and I could sit all day and look at the boats in the harbour and the magnificent skyline of the island. The rooms themselves are bright but with deep dark wood and beautifully appointed.

The service throughout was probably the highest standard I have experienced in 30 years of travelling. Given its reputation I was slightly worried that it would not live up to my expectations. I shouldn't have worried. It was magnificent.

We ate at Felix on the Saturday night. Definitely worth doing and you must get a window seat. Great food and wine list.

I do have two small grips though! I know the afternoon tea is an institution in itself but this makes the entrance and the lobby very crowded and somehow disorganised. Once you get past that everything changes. The other is that in Felix, both the bar and restaurant, the windows have blinds. Why? One of the best views in the world don't need blinds! Management - please address this!

That being said I offer my congratulations to the management and team. Keep up the excellent work and I look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: You must go for a Harbour View Room. Magnificent. I promise it's worth it!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends