“#1 For Many Good Reasons”

The Peninsula Hong Kong
Ranked #10 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I am a repeat guest of the Peninsula Hong Kong. A classic, luxurious hotel which frequently sits atop world-wide hotel rankings. Across two decades of visits to the Pen, I can say that it continues to delight in every category. Rooms, location, service, food, and overall scene are consistently world-class across every category, across time.

Yes, it is expensive, but for the excellence received, I consider it very good value. It is also a wonderful experience to just soak in such outstanding service, and to challenge oneself in whether you too are capable of delivering such service to one's own clients or customers.

A life well-lived includes a visit to the Peninsula Hong Kong.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for The Peninsula Hong Kong

Reviewed 12 May 2014

This is the perfect Hong Kong hotel though it's on the Kowloon side. I've stayed here for thirty years. I've also stay at the mandarin and the four seasons. But I keep coming back to the Peninsula. In my opinion, it's still the best. The service is professional and outstanding. The rooms are lovely and very peaceful ( once you learn how to use the new hi tech pad where you can open the drapes, call room service (and order dinner or a snack) and housekeeping, order a movie to be shown on your flat screen tv, turn the lights on and off and lock the doors. Once this is simple, everything comes together. The rooms have everything one needs, comfortable couches, chairs and a good mattress. Lovely green marble bathroom with double vanities, a separate shower and tub, a small (extra) tv and soft, very large bath towels. The view of the harbor could be lovely if it were not for the smog and fog. Our room had a large picture window with a nu obstructive view. It was a shame that the smog was so think. Breakfast in the veranda is a treat. You can have the typical dim sum or just about any and everything that can be ordered at breakfast time. The Spring Moon a Restaurant is excellent for Cantonese cuisine as is their fine Gaddis for a continental menu. Tea in the lobby is perfect with violins playing in the background buy a reservation is necessary. And the location is perfect. Have them pick you up in a vintage rolls or a bently to begin your stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The Peninsula lived up to its billing as a firm family favourite.

This hotel has over the past 25 years been the destination of choice in the Far East for us, in fact, a destination in itself. The whole experience fits together perfectly.

Our check in was effortless, and being at 8.30am we were offered a temporary room across the corridor from the room that had been allocated to us.

As a group of 9, we had requested, and were allocated with 3 adjacent rooms, which was perfect. Our room was equipped, as requested, with a child's bed, and the other children in our family group were also suitably accommodated.

Service was attentive and friendly at all times, including several uses of the hotel's extensive room service menu. We only needed to request ice to keep bottles chilled once, and thereafter ice was provided to us on a daily basis.

Catering was excellent at all times. Largely we ordered room service, to suit our young families. The room service menu is suitably extensive and the quality is excellent.

We also dined at the Verandah (brunch), Chesa, Spring Moon and at the poolside. All were faultless in my view.

We did visit Felix one evening. It was certainly impressive for a drink, but we might have appreciated the view to have not been obscured by blinds.

The pool facilities were a true highlight for us. The pool is warm enough to enjoy without being too warm, and the view over the harbour is spectacular. We used these facilties at least once per day.

I also was able to have a massage, which again was excellent. The spa level has a separate steam room and sauna to the facilities available to all guests, the sauna with a view over the harbour, which is simply incredible and worthy of comment.

Concierge services were well informed for all of our needs.

The only negative points I would note would be:
(1) that the bedside tablets are quite unnecessary and can inadvertently be activated during the night. We took to taking the tablets off their cradles overnight and leaving them with the desk tablet.
(2) the media / bar cabinet closing in the rooms could be 'softer'
(3) the marble floors around the pool are incredibly slippery and are simply dangerous. It is all well and good for attendants to assist with the provision of marble safe slippers, but it would be better for the surfaces themselves not to be so treacherous

That said, overall we had the most amazing visit to Hong Kong, enhanced most certainly by the Peninsula experience, thanks to the wonderful facilities and staff.

In my view, if I'm fortunate enough to be able to stay at the Peninsula, I would choose to do so every time.

Thank you Peninsula Team for another wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Although expensive, it's hard to beat a high up harbour view. We had rooms on 24th floor, which...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TigerFilbert
Reviewed 7 May 2014

As a regular visitor to Hong Kong, until recently I’d always opted for the InterContinental Hong Kong. With the Peninsula’s refurbishment complete, I stayed last year and was very impressed. So looked forward to my return visit.

In all a pleasant stay, however lacking the same level of attentive and personal service as last time. Based on this stay it won’t be my default hotel of choice next time I’m in Hong Kong. More details should you wish….

The Arrival:-
Having booked the hotel Rolls Royce Phantom ($1,600 HKD as of May-14) a hotel representative meets you at the air bridge, and you are escorted through immigration and customs to the vehicle. The journey to the hotel took ~30 minutes. Disappointingly, unlike last time, there was no meet-and-greet at the hotel with in-room check-in. Poor for a premium hotel when booking their transportation. Luggage took over half an hour to be delivered to the room - also poor.

The Guest Room:-
The Grand Deluxe Harbour View room was well appointed. Decor is contemporary, and the integrated tablet control system allows you to control most electronic devices in the room from one device. Unfortunately as the window doesn’t extend the full height and width of the room, the view from most of the room is directly across from the hotel (the convention centre) with the more impressive taller buildings of the Hong Kong island skyline being off to the far right.

The Bars:-
'Salon Ning' bar & club has a 1930's Shanghai theme; service was average. 'The Bar' offers a selection of main stream whisk(e)y, and other drinks, with classic décor – service was fine. Neither are open until late afternoon.

Breakfast:-
You can choose between a la carte (in the lobby) or buffet (in the Veranda). The buffet provided a broad selection to choose from. Service on the first day was attentive, however on the second not.

The Spa:-
Recommended - a good selection of treatments, very relaxing and well appointed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank nick164
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have to say the Peninsula is an extremely unique hotel, steeped in history, but at the cutting edge of luxury and technology. When my wife and I decided to visit Hong Kong, The Peninsula was the only hotel I considered, despite being an avid Four Seasons patron.

Upon arrival the hotel is immediately impressive, with it's raft of Rolls Royce Phantoms for all to see, although at times the outside can get quite full of cars, which can detract a little from the pomp and circumstance that this hotel emanates.

The lobby is a sight to behold, with it's impressive décor, imposing staircase, galleried orchestra area and plethora of designer shops as far as the eye can see. After being checked in we were escorted to our room, where a huge expanse of floor to ceiling glass perfectly framed the spectacular Hong Kong harbour by night. I have to say at that point I kind of switched off and didn't hear a word the desk clerk had to say. This is where I begin to run out of superlatives, sufficed to say the view is out of this world, and over the five days it wasn't one we tired of.

Our Grand Deluxe Harbour View Room was nicely spacious, with every technological advancement you could possibly want, 3 tablet computers (1 on each nightstand and 1 on the writing desk) are your central hub for both room control and information. There is also 50” 3D LED TV with a hidden subwoofer, 3D BluRay player, a charging hub for almost every mobile phone or tablet you could possibly think of, and even a nail dryer, these are just some of the vast array of gadgets at hand. Every control and information point is an LCD touchscreen. I have to say as an IT consultant and all round gadget fiend, I was left gob smacked, from a technology standpoint it makes the Burj Al Arab look like it's something out of the dark ages! The hotel exudes quality and style, and an opulence which is quite unique.

Sadly the only restaurant we frequented was The Verandah for breakfast, the buffet was simply outstanding, with everything you could wish for, irrespective of which continent you decided to dine at. My one gripe was that on our first morning at breakfast we were greeted by some kind of waitress who was a) a little surly, and b) looked us up and down, not acceptable as far as I am concerned, you make everyone feel welcome, after all, it's the guests home whilst they're staying there. My wife and I decided to order room service rather than visit the hotel restaurants, after a hard days sightseeing there's nothing more relaxing than a long hot bath, and eating dinner in front of the TV, and it was very impressive to say the least, we eat a varied array of cuisines, and they were all of an exception standard.

The Spa is most impressive, capitalising on it's high vantage points, and great views, if I had to make one criticism I would say the changing rooms for the pool were down some very narrow stairs, which don't make it the most convenient to get to and from, but not a big deal.

So often reality is a pale comparison to your imagination, well, this is one of those rare cases where the reality is even better, this is a prestigious hotel, and rightly so, it is simply stunning, and will be our choice again the next time we visit Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Harbour View Room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jo D
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is a luxurious historical masterpiece , peninsula never fails to deliver a great setting .
With few cons that I could state : over crowded to the extent it looses the personal service attention expectation , all seem in a rush .

In terms of design the corridors and business centre is off the mark when it comes to being symmetrical with the hotel design , the colours grey and black is Armani like bit not peninsula like , given there lovely dark wooden doors and cabinets .

An incident where the reception refused to hand me smaller change for 1k hkd for having a staple mark which was accepted else where , not that I even noticed it bit u never deny a guest his request ,

All in all I highly recommend it and would definitely come back again .

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The Peninsula has long been on our list of 'must dos' and I was a little concerned that it wouldn't live up to expectations. But our stay was fantastic.

We had booked a Delux harbour view room - which was bigger than I was expecting and very nicely decorated. The only downside was that it was a smoking room and when we called to ask to move to a non-smoking room we were incredibly surprised to be shown to a corner suite overlooking the harbour. This room was absolutely spectacular and consisted of dining room, living room, bedroom, dressing room and enormous bathroom overlooking Kowloon. For an old hotel, I was surprised to see how high-tech it was - you can control the curtains, lights, heating and and TVs from an ipad. The TVs had a very wide range of channels and free movies.

We also booked a couples spa package - which included a fantastic bath tub overlooking the harbour - -and the massage was one of the best I've ever had.

The staff were friendly, helpful and professional and overall our experience was second to none.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple