“The way a hotel should be”

The Peninsula Hong Kong
Ranked #8 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Las Vegas, Nevada
“The way a hotel should be”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Peninsula Hotel Hong Kong. Arriving at the airport I had pre-arranged to be picked up by one of the hotels 14 Peninsula green stretch Rolls Royces.. We were met at the Rolls upon arrival and were wisked to our suites. The rooms recently were renovated and are a techno marvel. The staff went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. The pool was amazing with great views of Victoria Harbor. I had a problem with one of the stores in the lobby and hotel management came to my rescue. Afternoon tea was great and a must do, staff will make a reservation for you, and the breakfast buffett was not only a great deal but had a huge assortment of foods both western and asian. Will be back for sure.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We were in a king suite with vue on the baie and it was wonderfull!!!
Service excellent, Nice old colonial hôtel, tea time delicious, best swimming pool (romanian style ).
Marvelous bed and all services in the room, yummi room service and all staff ready for any request.
Just love it
I strongly recommend this hôtel with best location in HK, much better than being on the Island!!! Ferry very close wich is very charming way to cross to HK! Haven't been to restaurant there wich is a shame.
Spa also at the top of service with very Nice philosophie ( arrivent one hour before to start relaxing etc...)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I can't review staying at the Hotel as we were staying at the Mandarin.The Hotel is very impressive, I have visited it before christmas and had the pleasure of seeing their amazing decorations. This time we went for their traditional afternoon tea - Hotel guests can book but not non residents - fair enough! we arrived at 2.45pm and it was packed, 5 groups in front of us but we were seated by 3.15pm. by 4.15pm the lines had stopped - so, go later if you don't want to wait to be seated. The 4 piece band playing on the mezzaine was delightful. Check out the wonderful shops on the lower level. The afternoon tea consisted of 2 scones, 3 finger sandwiches, 2 savoury pastries, 1 fruit bread slice, 4 delicate petite cakes plus jam and cream. We decided to add a few extra sandwiches but left some cakes untouched. You can order much less for a reasonable amount. My jasmine tea was really weak and almost cold - that's the only negative I can say about the experience - a must do in Hong Kong.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
peninsula_phk, Assistant Food and Beverage Manager at The Peninsula Hong Kong, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Madam,

Greetings from Hong Kong to Australia! It is with great pleasure to read your complimentary comments about our hotel’s festive decoration. Your positive notes with regards to our Lobby’s live music entertainment have likewise been well received and are much appreciated. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the disappointing flavor and serving temperature of your jasmine tea and please rest reassured that the issue has been addressed with the team in order to avoid similar happenings in the future.

Again I would like to thank you for your valuable time taken to share your recent experience with us and we hope to have the honor of welcoming you back, hopefully in the not too distant future.

With best regards,
Marco Schuchter
Assistant Food and Beverage Manager
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 22 July 2014

While I did expect a good product from The Peninsula, this grand dame and her beautiful staff simply blew me away, climbing straight to the top of my rankings.
You see, it is very rare for a landmark property the size of The Peninsula to be able to to provide the levels of service usually associated with the finest boutique hotels. In this age of massive corporate hotels, true luxury is seldom seen from the service staff, for while a hotel may be grand, I have found that it is only in intimate properties where one gets to know the staff on a warmer level. This is simply not the case at The Peninsula, where by the second night many of the staff knew me by name, my preferences, and the concierge staff were absolute diamonds. They helped in many a situation, sending their men out to get things done for me at no charge at all, and arranging Rolls-Royce transfers to and from the airport at our request.
Overall, there are few hotels in the world able to deliver the product that The Peninsula does, and in light of that, even at the relatively high rates, this property is a compelling value. If you can afford it, stay nowhere else in Hong Kong.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed on their anniversary package which apart from being amazing value was a really special experience.
We were in a harbour view suite in the old hotel wing. It has been expertly renovated and is everything a luxury hotel should be. Small touches make the difference and the peninsula delivers.

One gripe...you can't wear flip flops to breakfast (if you are MALE). Not a major problem I guess but it would be good to be told in advance rather than be turned away at the restaurant!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This was my second stay at The Peninsula. From the airport pickup to the welcome tea, to high tea in the lobby, it was absolutely spot-on. The room updates are wonderful - super high tech. No adapters needed, just plug in.

Pastries at breakfast were amazing! I had an early flight to another China city. Restaurant wasn't open yet, but I went by and asked for a box to take. No problem - they were loaded up for me.

Only slight quibble - my wife felt like the bathroom could have been cleaner.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
peninsula_phk, Director of Rooms at The Peninsula Hong Kong, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback about your most recent stay. We are very pleased to read that you have enjoyed you stay with us again.

However I would like to sincerely apologize that you have found the bathroom not to be cleaned up to the standard you would have expected. We take great pride in all the things we do every day and therefore, the comment you raised have been of great concern to us and please rest assured that corrective actions will be made and personally handled by our Executive Housekeeper.

Thanking you once again for sharing your experience with us and for your regular patronage of The Peninsula, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours sincerely,
Raoul Hoelzle
Director of Rooms
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The Pen is the only hotel at which I have ever stayed in Hong Kong, so when we returned last month I insisted that we be booked into this hotel (our travel agent recommended against it, and suggested one or two other properties - we should have taken her suggestion).
While the Rolls Royce transportation to and from the airport was very nice, they have remodeled the rooms and while expensively done, do not fit the ambiance of the original hotel building, which is where I always liked to stay. Rather than being old world and elegant, the rooms are now sleek and modern and furnished in a manner of any upscale chain hotel. In addition, we were given, probably the worst room in the hotel, toward the back and overlooking the concrete wall of the hotel across the street. When I asked about an upgrade (our travel agent is a Virtuoso agent, which when booked through that group includes various amenities including room upgrades) we were told that nothing else was available. For almost $700 per night it was a total rip off. The attitude was snooty and somewhat condescending, and quite a departure from the way we had been treated during our past stays at this property.
The buffet breakfast was mediocre (although the room is quite lovely), the orange juice tasted like tang, when I asked for soy sauce for the dim sum that I had taken, the staff person pointed to something,saying "it's over there" and in fact there was no soy sauce or anything else "over there" and most of the wait staff was surly. I say most, because one or two of the waiters/waitresses were very accommodating, bringing us several cappuccino's and toasted bagels (something that they didn't have on the buffet tables, although they had the smoked salmon).
Unfortunately, I think the hotel, in it's 85th year, is living off it's reputation and not providing the service and amenities which it once did. On my next visit to Hong Kong, I will heed the advice of my travel agent and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: try to get a harbor facing view and probably in the tower as the redone rooms in the original part o...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the lapse of service and the poor experience at our Verandah restaurant for breakfast during your recent stay with us. We take great pride in the service provided in our hotel and restaurants. Therefore, the incidents you raised to our attention have been of great concern to us and please rest assured that corrective actions will be made and personally handled by myself.

We were also saddened to learn of the unsatisfactory experience you encountered when you had to deal with our front desk team during your most recent stay with us. I would like to sincerely apologise for the shortcomings about the way our staff handled your room upgrade inquiry.

Your comment about the design of our new rooms in the original building have been duly noted.

To allow me to follow up on the issues, I would like to send you a private e-mail and would be grateful if you could please provide me with further contact details.

Thanking you once again for sharing your experience with us.

Yours sincerely,