Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Conrad Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
  • Pool
The Upper House(Hong Kong)
  • Fitness centre
Shama Midlevels(Hong Kong)
Cue Hotel(Hong Kong)
2,200 results
All reviewspacific placehorizon clublobster barsummer palacepeak view roomadmiralty mtr stationpeak tramguest relationsharbour viewhealth clublobby loungeshopping mallrooms are spaciousjw marriottoutdoor poolbusiness tripbreakfast buffet is
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Stayed here in August for a work meeting on a corporate rate room. My room offered a view of the city going up the hill to the peak, not the water, which was a pity. Lovely welcome basket with tea/fruit/breads on arrival. No breakfast included in room, and meals are quite expensive in restaurants or from room service. Basic laundry also very expensive for a shirt ($9 USD) or pants ($11 USD). Nice service and room amenities, but at about $300/night, that's expected---and service felt contrived and not genuine. Hotel is certainly onvenient for mall below pacific place, metro, and other sites. From my room during the day, there was a lot of construction noise from a site nearby. Reading other reviews, i realized there's a hotel shuttle, but no one at the hotel mentioned that to me, so i paid taxis both ways. Overall, i'd rather stay somewhere else next time in Hong Kong.

Room Tip: try to get a water view. my room with city/hill view included lots of construction noise during the day.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I stayed 12 nights at a stretch from the 29th of July on a business trip in room 4614. No offers on long stay to begin with. Breakfast is not included on corporate rates and is exhorbitant for an average breakfast.
They take your credit card details when you check-in and block the entire amount (even on a guaranteed corporate booking from a contracted leading financial institution), You can still get over that - but on check-out they swipe your card again and take the payment and do not release the earlier block unless it automatically drops off a month later (meaning your card is blocked for twice the amount)!!!
I wasn't aware of this and they didn't bother to inform me when I checked out. Now I was stranded at Bangkok airport for a connection without being able to make a payment since my card was maxed out. Spent 24 hours in the airport before I could get money transferred to the card until it reflected!
Room and dining is fine but you'd expect that for the money you pay here.
The misplaced my suits which I had given for laundry and returned after 3 days - ended up buying new suits to attend business meetings. Yes, they compensated with a box of chocolates!!!
I will be travelling to hong Kong on business for 2 weeks in every month until March next year and I'm not returning here.
Have blocked the Landmark Mandarin for my trip next week - pay a couple of hundred extra and stay there if you dont wanna end up like me.

Room Tip: Avoid using your credit card, do not give laundry and use it only a place to sleep and you'll be fine.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank Devsarkar
ISLHK, Manager at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear Devsarkar

I am writing to you on behalf of the management here at Island Shangri-La, Hong Kong following the comments you posted. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced.

At Island Shangri-La, Hong Kong, we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Upon thorough review of the situation, we have taken immediate steps to ensure this will never happen again.

I hope that I can be of assistance in resolving the matter, and I may be reached at ilona.yim@shangri-la.com.

Sincerely

Ilona Yim
Director of Communications

Reviewed 14 August 2012

Very beautiful and convenient hotel, with gorgeous amenities and rooms. Five minutes after I checked in I got a pot of tea as a Hong Kong welcome. Buffet breakfasts and lunches are very impressive, and proximity to Admiralty metro stop makes this hotel easy to reach. This was my first stay at Shangri-La. I was offered an upgrade to Horizon Lounge level, and declined. I wish I had accepted. At the next Shangri-La on my trip, I accepted. Worth it.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank tunkiemo
Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a quick business trip on Saturday night, Hong Kong always amazes me at how bustling yet efficient it is. From the moment we got through immigration and spoke to the young man at the Shangri-la desk, we were very well looked after. He directed us to the airport express, after where there are free shuttles to take you to your hotel. (there were too many of us for the hotel car).
On arrival at the Island Shangri-la, we were greeted by lovely doormen, helping us with our luggage and the other staff sitting us down for a cool drink and cold towel. We were the given our room keys and went off to our rooms.
The rooms were lovely and very well done. The bed was so comfy, I wish there had been longer to try it. We had a premium harbour view and it was a very good size for HK. The bathroom was also great with l'occataine products.
We tried the cafe too Buffett restaurant for both lunch and then breakfast and wow what a selection, if you stay here, you definitely need to indulge! I've stayed at Their Traders brand before but this buffet knocks the socks of it!
They also have a 2 Michelin starred French restaurant called Petrus which we didn't have time to try but I had looked at the menu and it seems very reasonable.
The outside pool area was also lovely, great after a mornings work or sightseeing with extremely comfy sun loungers.
It was the little things here that also made a difference, the attention to detail, the relaxed feeling, lovely staff, an impressive lobby and the 55 metre art work which is quite stunning, little chocolates in your room. I could go on.
Overall, I really enjoyed this hotel and would stay here again.
P.s for a lovely relaxed meal try the tapas restaurant at their Kowloon hotel, it was beautiful food and very relaxed with a buzzing atmosphere!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Well, what can I say... I stopped in August for four nights with my wife. The hotel is tremendous. We stayed on the 51st floor with a harbour view which is excellent, the harbour view was a free upgrade which obviously started things well.

Check in was prompt and courteous. Having had a 12 hour flight, we went for a drink in the bar while our luggage was taken to our room. Upon arriving to the spacious room (with an awesome bathroom and l'occitane products) as it was our honeymoon, they had left roses and chocolates. The chocolates were contained within a heart shape box which was also made of chocolate!!! Five minutes later, we were greeted with a welcome drink of green tea. Again a nice touch. It is the fine detail that makes the difference here e.g. In the lifts they change the carpets everyday so they say which day it is... Made us smile.

The hotel is well located above the pacific place shopping centre and direct access to admiralty station of the mtr (underground train) which makes getting around hong kong vey easy, although I should note that taxi's are also very cheap. Additionally, the hotel is near the Peak tram (HK$65 to go to the top and sky platform area), which I recommend getting to early as large queues can form later in the day.

The facilities are excellent including a state of the art gym, health club and a 20 metre outdoor pool. The pool is welcome relief from the humidity and was the reason why we chose the hotel over the Mandarin Oriental. The hotel has a range of bars and restaurants including Petrus which is a Michelin star French restaurant.

The final comment is for the staff. They are simply outstanding and extremely helpful.

Overall, the experience was excellent. Obviously a five star hotel is on the expensive side e.g drinks are generally HK$100 (£10) but this is to be expected. Well worth staying at the Shangri La hotel if you are ever in HK.

Room Tip: A harbour view is essential! Hong Kong at night is a special place!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple