“Impeccable”

Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
Ranked #13 of 725 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I enjoyed a five-night stay at the Island Shangri-La over the New Year's period (late December 2012-early January 2013). The property is as beautiful as one would expect of the Shangri-La, but what really set the Island Shangri-La apart was its outstanding service - by far the best and most personalised I've experienced in a large hotel. I felt welcomed and looked after from the moment I was greeted at the airport, to the moment I was chauffeured back to the airport and escorted to the airline check-in desk at the conclusion of my stay.

Two stand outs for me were the Horizon Club (after just my first visit the staff remembered my name and preferred tea) and the housekeeping team (returning to my room in the evenings was a pleasure - the attention to detail of the room attendants was superb). Despite the hotel being fully booked for the New Year's festivities, nothing was too much trouble.

For me, the hotel is a central part of my destination, and I like spending time experiencing all that it has to offer. The Island Shangri-La was the perfect choice for this, my first trip to Hong Kong. My experience has inspired me to return, and to discover more Shangri-La properties in my future travels.

Room Tip: The Horizon Club is highly worthwhile.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 December 2012

I stayed here on business for two nights in a harbour view room. The room itself was beautiful and the service impeccable. A lovely fruit bowl, welcome tea and pineapple cake on the first night made me feel very welcomed. The bath and shower were both large and luxurious, and the bed was firm and very comfortable. Ate once at the Chinese restaurant Summer Palace - excellent, and a few drinks at the Lobster Bar outside - great cocktails and service. The only thing I didn't like was that the door was a bit chaotic in the evenings, and the concierges were not very helpful when my airport limo was late coming to pick me up. According to my limo driver, the doormen did not let him park in the front of the hotel to pick me up so he went round the building several times.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Excellent service and convenient location - linked to Pacific Place mall with good restaurants and designers stores. Well equipped gym and Housekeeping do an immaculate job at keeping the rooms in good order. Fifteen to twenty minute walk to IFC and it's easy to catch a taxi to Kowloon etc.

1  Thank Su-Ann K
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I used this hotel for a recent business trip to Hong Kong. The office is in Pacific Place and this is very convenient. I have previously stayed in the Conrad when in Hong Kong, but, this was far better.

Club rooms are fantastic, the views from the 52nd floor upward are superb (if you get the weather) and the club lounge is more than adequate.

I arrived having lost my baggage at the airport, in only my suit rom the day at work, the reception managed to find me a pair of shorts and a t-shirt for me to wear in the room. Excellent service from the off!

When I arrived in the room, I was greated with a pot of tea in a hamper, a box of choclates and a pineapple biscuit in a small "dim-sum steamer" style box, the room was spacious and well maintained.

When my bags arrived, the bell hops brought them to my room (firstly sending a note to say they arrived), excellent service.

Only one complaint, due to the amount of floors, there is a fairly long wait for the lifts, at one point I waited for over 5 minutes, which seemed crazy.

Room Tip: Set off early if you are needing to take a lift from a high floor!
Reviewed 11 December 2012

At least, certainly the best I've stayed in. Someone with a great eye for detail has thought through the experience of a guest. Accommodation is excellent, breakfast has amazing variety, the views (in any direction)are fantastic, but what makes it really outstanding is the service — there's always someone ready to help, without it being in any way oppressive. A great place to be!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2012 via mobile

I stay here at every opportunity when visiting HK. The hotel is ideally located an supremely well maintained. Neighbouring Conrad and JW Marriott hotels are both good second options but do not stack up to the Shang. Stunning pool with IM Pei's Bank of China masterpiece in the distance. The restaurants are all top class. Stunning harbour views from the lounge at the top of the hotel. Hot tea is waiting in your room when you first check in. Very good gym facility. In short, the ideal place for business travel and for visiting tourists.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Stayed in a high floor room with a sweeping view of Hong Kong harbor. Excellent amenties and technology. Service was awesome, the bell hop zipped me over to my destination in a hotel car when I was running late and the taxi line was a mile long. Good buffet breakfast. The bar kept me hydrated!