“Excellant”

Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
Ranked #14 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Had a wonderful stay here, rooms wonderful views of the harbour, food, facilities all great, otherwise if you have the cash a must in Hong Kong, centrally located with shopping center under the hotel, all high end brands

Room Tip: F & B exceptionally good, especially the breakfast
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Dominique S
There are newer reviews for Island Shangri-La Hong Kong

Reviewed 5 January 2013

I stayed here with my mother for 4 nights. It was just lovely, very elegant and fantastically located just above Pacific Place mall, and also close to the underground MTR. room service wasn't great and the spa is overpriced, but a beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2013

hotel is very good, but if u ask the staff to make u a reservation it will be a desapointment. thay booked us a new years eve in a very bad and empty chenese restaurant, and we paid 750 euros for dinner for 4. terible!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ministar
ISLHK, General Manager at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Dear Ministar

Thank you very much for your kind comment and overall rating of Island Shangri-La, Hong Kong, though I am disappointed to read of your dissatisfaction with the recommendations made by our concierge department. If you would like to elaborate on the experience, you may write to me directly at wolfgang.krueger@shangri-la.com.

I look forward to hearing from you

With kind regards and a Happy New Year

Wolfgang Krueger
Area General Manager

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Even the most discerning traveler will have difficulty finding fault with this hotel. Everything from airport transfer to check out just works flawlessly here.

Property: It is a luxurious property with classic Asian-style decor. The mural in the hotel atrium is beautiful. Also I think they must pump something in the common areas because the hotel smells fantastic!

Rooms: Fantastic rooms…great layouts…great views in every direction. The standard room is not particularly large but it has more than everything you might need and every detail with the guest in mind has been considered. Extremely comfortable bed with all the pillow options (firm, soft, down, foam etc.) Every time I thought about something I needed that I forgot to bring with me, I found it in the room! My biggest pet peeve with hotel rooms is lack of sockets. I usually find myself crawling under a desk, unplugging lamps to plug in my own extension cord. No such problem in this room… plenty of US and UK sockets and adapters were provided on the desk, next to the bed etc. Amenities include everything you might need (robes, kimonos, slippers, toothbrushes, razors, shaving cream, hair band). Complimentary fruit baskets, bottles of evian, boxes of chocolates, tea service are provided daily. These days when most hotels are cutting back on the small details, it is nice to see Shangri-La coming through. I should also mention that we are not frequent guests of Shangri-la nor did we stay on a Horizon floor. This service is received by all guests.

Internet: complimentary wired and wireless internet for unlimited devices is included in the room rate. Great speed and connections.

Check-in: the check-in experience you get depends somewhat on your mode of arrival at the hotel. Twice we booked the hotel car and once we came in taxi. When we booked the Rolls Royce, we were greeted at the door by check-in staff and escorted immediately to our room where our bags were already waiting for us (very impressive since we were in our room within minutes of arrival). When we booked the Mercedes or came in a taxi, we had to go to the front desk to check-in first and were then escorted to the room.

Service – OUTSTANDING!!! We had multiple stays at this hotel during a very busy period holiday period and these guys did not miss a beat. Everywhere you go, you receive genuine interest from the staff, whether it is he doorman, the concierge, housekeeping, or room service staff. A few examples that stood out: when we took a taxi to the airport the doorman wrote the phone and taxi number on a card and gave it to us in case we had an issue or forgot something in the taxi. This is a very small detail but shows how much they have thought about the guest experience. My husband was looking for some specialty camera equipment and asked for assistance from the concierge. The concierge made several phone calls and found us a store open on a Sunday that had the equipment. When we were leaving no taxis were available and one of the door staff drove us to the airport express station for no charge.

Location: Great location next to Pacific Place Mall and major MTR station.

Value: It is very expensive but completely worth it. Island Shangri-la delivers!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Runningshoes
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I enjoyed a five-night stay at the Island Shangri-La over the New Year's period (late December 2012-early January 2013). The property is as beautiful as one would expect of the Shangri-La, but what really set the Island Shangri-La apart was its outstanding service - by far the best and most personalised I've experienced in a large hotel. I felt welcomed and looked after from the moment I was greeted at the airport, to the moment I was chauffeured back to the airport and escorted to the airline check-in desk at the conclusion of my stay.

Two stand outs for me were the Horizon Club (after just my first visit the staff remembered my name and preferred tea) and the housekeeping team (returning to my room in the evenings was a pleasure - the attention to detail of the room attendants was superb). Despite the hotel being fully booked for the New Year's festivities, nothing was too much trouble.

For me, the hotel is a central part of my destination, and I like spending time experiencing all that it has to offer. The Island Shangri-La was the perfect choice for this, my first trip to Hong Kong. My experience has inspired me to return, and to discover more Shangri-La properties in my future travels.

Room Tip: The Horizon Club is highly worthwhile.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 December 2012

I stayed here on business for two nights in a harbour view room. The room itself was beautiful and the service impeccable. A lovely fruit bowl, welcome tea and pineapple cake on the first night made me feel very welcomed. The bath and shower were both large and luxurious, and the bed was firm and very comfortable. Ate once at the Chinese restaurant Summer Palace - excellent, and a few drinks at the Lobster Bar outside - great cocktails and service. The only thing I didn't like was that the door was a bit chaotic in the evenings, and the concierges were not very helpful when my airport limo was late coming to pick me up. According to my limo driver, the doormen did not let him park in the front of the hotel to pick me up so he went round the building several times.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Excellent service and convenient location - linked to Pacific Place mall with good restaurants and designers stores. Well equipped gym and Housekeeping do an immaculate job at keeping the rooms in good order. Fifteen to twenty minute walk to IFC and it's easy to catch a taxi to Kowloon etc.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business