“Always great”

Ranked #10 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Uk
“Always great”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The Shangri la Island hotel location is, in my estimation, the best in Hong Kong. Again the hotel is a first class experience. Service is excellent, attentive personal and fast. Food excellent with five first class restaurants. Rooms very comfortable with everything you could possibly need. Good pool. Would not dream of staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Always try to stay in the Horizon Club. Best value for money and the opportunity of using the Club...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pringle1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Pumper service and start treatment. Hotel has an olympic size pool surrounded by highrise buildings. Located on Hong Kong Island close to new convention center any shopping center and ferry. Hotel has 5 world cuisine restaurants with 5 start food and service. Best hospitality you could only immegine. Must have breakfast at Petrus french or Caffe Two for any country taste.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

2 Thank SlavaSlavina
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I usually stay at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, but due to renovations at that property and limited availability, I chose Island Shangr-La this time. I was pleasantly surprised at the impeccable personal attention and general quality of my stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

BELGIQUE
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Excellent service.Magnificent room with superb view.Cafe too was particularly appreciated.All persons of the staff were very kind and always available for helping us (addresses,flight confirmation ,...)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Family vacation to Hong Kong for a long weekend and staying at the Island Shangri-La. Perfect experience from start to finish. Service levels really excellent with all staff so attentive and professional. All this and a location connected to the upmarket Pacific Plaza mall and adjacent to Hong Kong park. This is our second leisure visit to Hong Kong after a 10 year break. Can't understand why we have left it so long. Very sad to leave when you have been looked after so well. Would have stayed longer, but with 2 harbour view rooms, my bank manager would have had a heart attack.

Room Tip: If you can do so, get a harbour view room. Breath taking views day and (especially) night.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AlunP99
Hong Kong
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I took my Canadian friends to the Cafe 2 for lunch buffet last Tuesday. I have tried it before but at least couple years ago, didn't think the quality and service was that terrible or else I wouldn't bring my friends to there. The service wasn't professional enough if the hotel is rated as 5 stars. I asked for tea with lemons, came with a pot of tea with tea bag already in (without asking my choice of favor) and no lemons. I asked the waitress to switch and her attitude was: SO WHAT KIND OF TEA??? I got my choice with a new cup, fresh pot, lemons but no tea spoon. Could she not check everything was there before she serviced? I don't think I can ask much (again 5 stars hotel).
For the food, I arrived at 12:15 pm, the lunch was just opened for 15 minutes, some of their food was not hot enough, could be sitting there for a few hours. Tempura vegetables were the worst, cold, not crispy and chewy. BBQ suckling pig skins weren't not crispy and crunchy as I expected. Not much choices of sushi, and the desserts were terrible sweet (Sugar on sale)!!!!
I don't think I will go back to the restaurant since there are so many other choices in that area. If I'm willing to pay for this price, I'm pretty sure there must be some other restaurants that will provide better service with quality food.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank brandygirl838
ISLHK, Director of Communications at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear brandygirl838,

Thank you for your review of our restaurant. I am disappointed to hear that you had a less than perfect dining experience with us. Would you please provide us with more details via email at bonnie.kwok@shangri-la.com so we may investigate internally and take necessary actions to improve. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Bonnie Kwok
Director of Communications
Maidenhead, UK
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My family and I went to Hong Kong for 4 days and 3 nights and stayed at this wonderful hotel. The Shangri-La has never disappointed me. Our room was spacious, clean and had a great view. Food and dining in this hotel is always excellent. I loved the food. The staff was very helpful and was always there to help me and my kids. Will be surely staying here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family