Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
Cordis, Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
US$277
Shangri-La.com
US$195
US$183
  • Restaurant
The Royal Garden(Hong Kong)
US$158
US$182
US$128
Agoda.com
  • Pool
The Langham, Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
US$268
US$225
  • Pool
Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong(Hong Kong)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$108
Hotel Direct
  • Restaurant
Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong(Hong Kong)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$78
Hotel Direct
2,212 results
All reviewspacific placehorizon clublobster barsummer palacepeak view roomadmiralty mtr stationpeak tramguest relationsharbour viewhealth clublobby loungeshopping mallrooms are spaciousjw marriottoutdoor poolbusiness tripbreakfast buffet is
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed here on business but my family joined me for part of the week. So the hotel had to perform on two levels - being a good base from which to conduct business but also family-friendly enough to enjoy after hours and on the weekend. The hotel passed with flying colours on both counts.

A. The small things that most hotels do well, the Shangri-la is great at:
- Fast, efficient and friendly check-in and check-out
- I was offered an upgrade and then "upsold" a Horizon Club room, the entire experience of which was actually very pleasant (very matter of fact, unpushy and yet gently persuasive)
- You don't feel gouged because most extras are included (at least for Horizon Club rooms), and this includes a very sumptuous breakfast and super fast, user friendly wi-fi. It was a pleasure not to have to feel like the meter was always running in the background when you used a tablet, laptop or smartphone, and not to have constantly check the in-room menus to see if that bottle of water was complimentary or the equivalent of a small meal in cost.
- Room amenities were fabulous, but more importantly: everything worked and worked well. Strong, powerful showers and hot water that seemed endless. No unpleasant room smells and no signs of leaks, stains or wear and tear. Minibar, safe, coffee machine, iron etc all in great condition so you felt confident using them, and the room did not feel tired.
- Hotel billing was accurate, and any quibble was instantly resolved in my favour without even a moment of hesitation - it leaves you feeling that your business is important, and the hotel really wants you to be happy: this attitude is priceless and goes a long way to reducing the inevitable sticker shock when the bill does indeed come...
- Housekeeping is 1st class - they visit 3 times a day, do an amazingly detailed job and leave a plethora of treats at each service - I left a wealth of devices out on the desk, and they neatly organised everything for my return (and nothing went missing!)
- Concierge, bellhops + room service all true professionals (bellhop recognised my routine after day 2 and had taxi waiting for me on day 3 as I emerged from lift lobby, with destination already instructed to the cabby)
- I needed a local SIM for an iPhone, and the business centre not only purchased one for me (at cost mind you, no mark-up) but also installed it and made sure if was fully working before giving the phone back. My existing SIM was carefully packaged when returned so I would not lose it. And all this at almost 2130 on a weekend night.
- The rooms and common areas are not brand new but have a timeless style and you can see that grounds, furniture and fittings are fastidiously maintained
- The rooms on the higher floors have amazing views (but this is true of many HK luxury hotels)
- Location is impeccable for HK Island, but then I had colleagues staying at the Marriott (which is basically next door) and they had nowhere near the same kind of experience, so location is not a differentiator

B. The above is what you expect from a major, professional luxury chain, and the Shangri-la delivers to a high standard. However, above and beyond that, the key difference is that the staff who have the key points of contact with you (e.g. reception, maitre'd at breakfast & food outlets) are all well trained, and have a great attitude - it is hard to fault a place where almost every time you meet hotel personnel, you are greeted by name, a warm smile and genuine attention to your needs (e.g. 1. your favourite table is already taken sir, but I have an even better one right this way; 2. Back early sir? Don't forget we are serving cocktails in the Club; 3. Your wife and son were just here, but have gone to the pool, shall I call down to let them know you are back?). It's not just the warm hospitality, but the combination of that and the professionalism of knowing how to use their knowledge of your stay to improve it that makes such a difference. I will miss never having to ask to for a take-away box because my son likes to have a second helping of cereal while watching tv back in the room. I will miss having my favourite table waiting for me at breakfast (and another, different but equally appropriate when I arrive with my family). These small things all smooth the way to a better, more enjoyable stay.

C. The transition from being helpful towards me as a business guest and a guest with family was seamless and staff seemed to know how best to present the services of the hotel as I needed them.
I enjoyed the pool as much as I found the business centre to be practical and useful and it never felt as I was trapped in a holiday resort while trying to work or vice versa - which is truly difficult to achieve and to be applauded.

Overall, a very good stay and one of the best we have enjoyed all year both from a business as well as family perspective. Will be very hard to stay anywhere else in HK when we return.

Room Tip: The Horizon Club is worth the cost, especially if you intend on spending any time at all in the hotel. It provides access to better rooms in general (larger, better views) and access to the Horizon Club lounge, which offers privacy, discreet service and an excellent selection of food and beverage throughout the day. What this means is that you have a quiet place where you have a butler like service throughout the day (great between meetings) where you can catch up on emails, read or conduct meetings. The tea/coffee service is outstanding, as are the views and the constant and varied samplings from the kitchens were an unexpected surprise. This is not your standard filler buffet with leftovers and mass-cooked meals constantly being reheated. Think freshly made canapés, deluxe finger foods all the way to exquisite pastries, macarons and petit fours. The cocktail hour is an outstanding way to end the working day (free-flow wine and champagne as well any cocktail you are able to convince the bartender to make....) and provides a nice bridge to the evening's entertainment.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Strae
Reviewed 30 November 2013

True 5 star experience. Very attentive staff. If possible select an upper floor with a harbour view. Truly stunning. Free wireless nice touch.
Bernadette Guevarra, from guest relations, was exceptionally gracious and treated me like family. What else can one ask for?

Room Tip: Upper harbour view if possible
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We've stayed in many Shangri-la properties and were particularly looking forward to our stay at the Island Shang, it did not disappoint.

We stayed in a harbour view room on the top floors. The view is spectacular and the large windows allow you to soak it all in. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, we had a few things left to do for work and particularly enjoyed the large and spacious desk and comfortable chair.

We had horizon club access and it is well worth paying for if you don't have golden circle access. Each evening we had canapés and champagne (Taittinger) in the club before dinner, all while enjoyed amazing views. We also had breakfast in Petrus next door, which must be the most spectacular venue for breakfast in all of Hong Kong. We enjoyed both the western and asian options. The staff in the club were only too happy to help us, even changing a phone we had purchased from chinese to english (many thanks to Peggy for saving us on that occasion).

While in the hotel we dined twice at the Summer Palace, we enjoyed it so much. Special mention to Kit our waiter. We also dined at Zuma in Central which is a quick cab ride away and has fantastic Japanese food.

Our room was always in meticulous order, thanks to our lovely housemaid Wendy. She was only ever a quick call away and took care of anything and everything we needed.

The only downside is the pool is not overly relaxing at the moment due to the building site across the road. We still sat out there quite happily for a few hours, but it is noisy.

Room Tip: Choose a horizon club room, if you enjoy evening drinks and hotel breakfasts it is worth the investment
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Katherine A
Reviewed 24 November 2013

For years we have been Marriotts' properties extensively, BUT off late I must admit that the service of Shangri-La has surpassed our expectations again and again. Even though the Shangri-La properties in some cities are claimed to be for business purposes... I am amazed at their services for families too!!!
The pick up from airport was smooth and good.. and there after when we reached hotel at 2 AM I was very happy to see that they took us to room straight away so we could settle down quickly with our 5 yr old as they checked us in at the room... how very thoughtful and considerate!!! These little things make so much of a difference in service and you know that you made the right choice by picking up this property!
The rooms were very comfortable, clean and the skyline view was fabulous! Room service, staff restaurants everything was good... especially the breakfast spread was really good... though quite small?? (could get a little crowded).
We were a bit disappointed at the pool side restaurant though during dinner... We ordered thai food, but for coconut water, there was just one coconut available... and then in the end it was very casually told that they were out of Mango Sticky Rice as dessert... no alternative was offered... that was quite disappointing considering it is Shangri-La...
Besides that... we loved our stay there... My son after checking in at Disneyland hotel actually begged us to return to Shangri La...!!! he he... that speaks for itself!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Vaishali B
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The Shangri la Island hotel location is, in my estimation, the best in Hong Kong. Again the hotel is a first class experience. Service is excellent, attentive personal and fast. Food excellent with five first class restaurants. Rooms very comfortable with everything you could possibly need. Good pool. Would not dream of staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Always try to stay in the Horizon Club. Best value for money and the opportunity of using the Club with its cocktail hour and inclusive breakfasts. Try to get a harbour view. Club rooms are at the top of the building.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple