“Superb location, world class hotel, good value for money”

Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
Ranked #11 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Toronto, Canada
“Superb location, world class hotel, good value for money”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Competes well against every other 5 star HK hotel. Others may have perfect locations, but this one is pretty good (and is actually perfect if you are using the MTR, as both main lines intersect at Admiralty, which is just acrodss the street and downhill (but get directions, it's not totally straightforward to find it).

Rooms and public spaces are beautiful. Our HK$2500 room rate included breakfast at the Cafe Too, which was excellent.

Tip: make sure you check out nearby Star Street, an interesting cluster of bars/restaurants, tucked in Wanchai near the hotel. It's about a 10-12 minute walk, or a 3 minute cab ride.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York, Usa
Reviewed 2 December 2013

As a frequent guest of the Island Shangri-La for over 12 years I still find every visit still a great pleasure to look forward to. The warm feeling and excellent service + facilities are in my opinion the best available in Hong Kong for business as well as pleasure.

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms have the best harbour view in Hong Kong ! Service is the best any hotel in hong K...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Okinawa
Reviewed 1 December 2013

what an excellent stay in hong kong! the shangri-la is pure luxury. from our arrival to our room being decorated for our 4 year old's birthday to service throughout our stay, everything was perfect. central location and beautiful views.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I always have a good feeling about Shangri-La, this hotel in particular - my wedding banquet was held in this property. I got the biggest surprise ever this time: when I checked in, I was told that I was upgraded to a harbour-facing suite. I have stayed in a number of occasions in a suite, so I thought "great, thanks". That was it. But when I got to my room, wow, it was not just a suite, it was the Presidential Suite. The rest was left to anyone's imagination. I enjoyed the stay and the pleasant surprise tremendously. Thanks, Shangri-La (Rachel in particular), you truly know how to treat your customer in the most extraordinary way. You bet there will be many happy returns from me.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

London
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed here on business but my family joined me for part of the week. So the hotel had to perform on two levels - being a good base from which to conduct business but also family-friendly enough to enjoy after hours and on the weekend. The hotel passed with flying colours on both counts.

A. The small things that most hotels do well, the Shangri-la is great at:
- Fast, efficient and friendly check-in and check-out
- I was offered an upgrade and then "upsold" a Horizon Club room, the entire experience of which was actually very pleasant (very matter of fact, unpushy and yet gently persuasive)
- You don't feel gouged because most extras are included (at least for Horizon Club rooms), and this includes a very sumptuous breakfast and super fast, user friendly wi-fi. It was a pleasure not to have to feel like the meter was always running in the background when you used a tablet, laptop or smartphone, and not to have constantly check the in-room menus to see if that bottle of water was complimentary or the equivalent of a small meal in cost.
- Room amenities were fabulous, but more importantly: everything worked and worked well. Strong, powerful showers and hot water that seemed endless. No unpleasant room smells and no signs of leaks, stains or wear and tear. Minibar, safe, coffee machine, iron etc all in great condition so you felt confident using them, and the room did not feel tired.
- Hotel billing was accurate, and any quibble was instantly resolved in my favour without even a moment of hesitation - it leaves you feeling that your business is important, and the hotel really wants you to be happy: this attitude is priceless and goes a long way to reducing the inevitable sticker shock when the bill does indeed come...
- Housekeeping is 1st class - they visit 3 times a day, do an amazingly detailed job and leave a plethora of treats at each service - I left a wealth of devices out on the desk, and they neatly organised everything for my return (and nothing went missing!)
- Concierge, bellhops + room service all true professionals (bellhop recognised my routine after day 2 and had taxi waiting for me on day 3 as I emerged from lift lobby, with destination already instructed to the cabby)
- I needed a local SIM for an iPhone, and the business centre not only purchased one for me (at cost mind you, no mark-up) but also installed it and made sure if was fully working before giving the phone back. My existing SIM was carefully packaged when returned so I would not lose it. And all this at almost 2130 on a weekend night.
- The rooms and common areas are not brand new but have a timeless style and you can see that grounds, furniture and fittings are fastidiously maintained
- The rooms on the higher floors have amazing views (but this is true of many HK luxury hotels)
- Location is impeccable for HK Island, but then I had colleagues staying at the Marriott (which is basically next door) and they had nowhere near the same kind of experience, so location is not a differentiator

B. The above is what you expect from a major, professional luxury chain, and the Shangri-la delivers to a high standard. However, above and beyond that, the key difference is that the staff who have the key points of contact with you (e.g. reception, maitre'd at breakfast & food outlets) are all well trained, and have a great attitude - it is hard to fault a place where almost every time you meet hotel personnel, you are greeted by name, a warm smile and genuine attention to your needs (e.g. 1. your favourite table is already taken sir, but I have an even better one right this way; 2. Back early sir? Don't forget we are serving cocktails in the Club; 3. Your wife and son were just here, but have gone to the pool, shall I call down to let them know you are back?). It's not just the warm hospitality, but the combination of that and the professionalism of knowing how to use their knowledge of your stay to improve it that makes such a difference. I will miss never having to ask to for a take-away box because my son likes to have a second helping of cereal while watching tv back in the room. I will miss having my favourite table waiting for me at breakfast (and another, different but equally appropriate when I arrive with my family). These small things all smooth the way to a better, more enjoyable stay.

C. The transition from being helpful towards me as a business guest and a guest with family was seamless and staff seemed to know how best to present the services of the hotel as I needed them.
I enjoyed the pool as much as I found the business centre to be practical and useful and it never felt as I was trapped in a holiday resort while trying to work or vice versa - which is truly difficult to achieve and to be applauded.

Overall, a very good stay and one of the best we have enjoyed all year both from a business as well as family perspective. Will be very hard to stay anywhere else in HK when we return.

Room Tip: The Horizon Club is worth the cost, especially if you intend on spending any time at all in the hote...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Strae
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 30 November 2013

True 5 star experience. Very attentive staff. If possible select an upper floor with a harbour view. Truly stunning. Free wireless nice touch.
Bernadette Guevarra, from guest relations, was exceptionally gracious and treated me like family. What else can one ask for?

Room Tip: Upper harbour view if possible
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We've stayed in many Shangri-la properties and were particularly looking forward to our stay at the Island Shang, it did not disappoint.

We stayed in a harbour view room on the top floors. The view is spectacular and the large windows allow you to soak it all in. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, we had a few things left to do for work and particularly enjoyed the large and spacious desk and comfortable chair.

We had horizon club access and it is well worth paying for if you don't have golden circle access. Each evening we had canapés and champagne (Taittinger) in the club before dinner, all while enjoyed amazing views. We also had breakfast in Petrus next door, which must be the most spectacular venue for breakfast in all of Hong Kong. We enjoyed both the western and asian options. The staff in the club were only too happy to help us, even changing a phone we had purchased from chinese to english (many thanks to Peggy for saving us on that occasion).

While in the hotel we dined twice at the Summer Palace, we enjoyed it so much. Special mention to Kit our waiter. We also dined at Zuma in Central which is a quick cab ride away and has fantastic Japanese food.

Our room was always in meticulous order, thanks to our lovely housemaid Wendy. She was only ever a quick call away and took care of anything and everything we needed.

The only downside is the pool is not overly relaxing at the moment due to the building site across the road. We still sat out there quite happily for a few hours, but it is noisy.

Room Tip: Choose a horizon club room, if you enjoy evening drinks and hotel breakfasts it is worth the investm...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple