“Simply amazing for a business stay”

Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
Ranked #14 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed at the Island Shangri-la for 2 months and could not recommend a better hotel in Hong Kong. I also stayed at the Grand Hyatt for a month separately.

Pros
- Amazing staff - they remember your special preferences and really go out of their way to make your stay convenient e.g. they prepared cut mangoes and blueberries every morning for me for breakfast and had it ready by the time I arrived. Even the general manager, Mr. Donhauser is very approachable and goes out of his way to personally make your stay comfortable
- Large rooms with amazing views of either the Harbour or the Peak. Harbour View rooms are larger
- Great room amenities - they have a valet stand and proper shoe rack in the closet that allows your leather soles to air
- Top notch sport facilities - pool has a lane for swimming laps and also closes late. I'm a swimmer and this was important. Grand Hyatt pool was much longer but wasn't straight and it closed at sunset. The gym facilities are equivalent to an outside gym. They even had a spinner bike
- Convenient location next to Admiralty with access to the MTR, tram, buses etc.
- Luxurious lounge at the top with amazing views. Breakfast in the lounge is really good and you get to order hot dishes. There's also a good selection of snacks and alcohol for evening drinks
- High quality food and beverage options with the abundance of restaurants in the hotel

Cons
- There were often long lines or waiting times for taxis, which were quite frustrating when you wanted to get somewhere quickly
- Room is getting a little dated - so the position of sockets is often inconvenient i.e. not next to the bed. I understand some renovations are in the plans though

Room Tip: Get the Harbour View and Horizon Club rooms if you can as it makes a huge difference with lounge acc...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Island Shangri-La Hong Kong

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Overall excellent experience at ISL Hotel. I have stayed here several times before and continue to be amazed. Only downside is the wait time for elevators. Rooms are comfortable and clean. Gym is better than most. Horizon Club is a great escape every morning and evening for breakfast and then cocktails with friends. Restaurants are top notch, every meal is excellent. Finally, the staff was there for me whenever I needed something.

Room Tip: Overlooking Victoria Harbor. It's amazing.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was my first stay at the Island Shangri-La as I normally stay at the Conrad just opposite, which is my benchmark hotel for Hong Kong. Overall the Shangri-La is a lovely hotel with a nice ambience and good amenities. Service was particularly good - prompt, efficient and friendly. It is directly above the upmarket Pacific Place shopping mall, although it may take a little while to discover the slightly circuitous route down to the mall.
My only reason for not giving the Shangri-La five blobs is the bathroom. The building is curved so each room is narrower at the corridor end than the window end. This means that the bathroom has been somewhat squeezed. It was small and had a shower in the tub (reminiscent of hotels in New York) rather than the separate walk-in shower you might expect in an Asian 5 star hotel.
Overall though a very pleasant and comfortable stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SixNineOne
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel was outstanding. The service was amazing. The rooms were luxurious and had everything needed for a comfortable stay. On the night I arrived a pot of tea was waiting in a tea cozy as a sign of hospitality. Fresh fruit was provided in the room each day which was a great treat. Bottles of water were also abundant - and were free of charge. This was a big plus considering the heat and humidity in Hong Kong. The hotel breakfast was amazing. Be sure to check it out. I can't say enough about how fabulous this hotel is. It's one of the best hotels I've been in in quite some time - and I travel a lot for work. Highly recommended!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CostaRicaMaryland
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Finally.... stayed in Island Shangri-la Hotel Hong Kong for 2 nites.
As I have heard so much good things about this hotel, I of course have such a high expectation.
But I am delighted to confirm that my family and I have enjoyed our short stay in this hotel.
We had two rooms at the same floor even though the hotel was running full on that day.
One room has magnificent view of the sea, while the other one is just oke. But that is not a big deal as the room cleanliness and amenities have cheered us up.
We had breakfast at Cafe Too and it was just sufficient.
Swimming pool is not as big as I expected but the Health Club facilities are sufficient and well maintained.
The stars are Front Office Team.
Allow me to express my and my family appreciation to the following team members for their warm and consistent great services from their heart :Christy (Concierge), Izzac and Ida (Front Desk), Edmond (Bell), Kent (Cafe Too) and Heidy & Anna (Airport Rep).
Congratulations to all of you who have convinced me that I have made the right decision to stay in your hotel. I will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Any room face the sea are grand
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
ISLHK, General Manager at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Cacay1973,

Thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel. I trust that Christy, Izzac, Ida, Edmond, Kent, Heidy and Anna will be glad to see your compliments. It is indeed our pleasure to take care of you and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Franz Donhauser

Reviewed 4 June 2014

If it were only for the hospitality and friendliness of the staff, it would be more than enough to rate this hotel the highest there is. Brilliant service from the doormen, through the concierge, taxi stand, on-call reservations all the way up to the check in/out staff. They made lots of reservations for us, perfect recommendations, and made the trip much easier.

Add to that, decent location - short ride to lots of attractions, good views and brilliant facilities and food. This hotel was the prime of our vacation to Hong Kong.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Have stayed at a few Shangri-las before, although first time here and the flawless service I'd come to expect was equally evident here. Some hotels have trouble ensuring consistency across the brand but I have never found this to be a problem with this chain.

We stayed in a twin peak view room (the cheapest category) on the 48th floor. While the harbour view would have been stunning, I actually found the peak view fascinating. The room was a good size and the only negative was the lack of a shower still separate from the bath. As negatives go, that is not a big one. The beds were comfortable.

We had breakfast included in the rate. The buffet in Cafe a Too on the 7th floor was enormous and some elements changed on a daily basis. Eggs could be ordered. The service was first rate although dome elements of the buffet could be a little bold if you were unlucky.

We are on the first night in the Thai place by the pool and food the food mediocre, over-priced and the service (in starting contrast to the rest of the hotel) to be slow and unenthusiastic.

The hotel location us great.....handy for the Peak and a morning walk through Hong Kong Park while beside a shopping mall and a MTR station.

Would I recommend this hotel - definetly!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sjh2311
ISLHK, General Manager at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear sjh2311,

Thank you for your review of our property. I apologise for the disappointing experience you had at Waterside Terrace. I have shared your feedback with the team and will ensure that necessary improvements are made. We look forward to welcoming you back for an opportunity to make up for this disappointment.

Best regards,