“Outstanding hotel to say in HK”

Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
Ranked #13 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 18 April 2010

I've stayed at many hotels in HK, this time being my first at the Shangrila. Overall, I would always pick this hotel if it I could get a good rate. It is an expensive hotel.

Other than the price, rooms are big and comfortable (except for the bed in my case, which was too soft).
Staff are always helpful and with a big smile.
Pool, restaurants, exec. lounge, etc... top notch. Free wifi everywhere and quite fast actually.
Location is great; next to Pacific Mall, Hong Kong Park and to the MTR.

As I said, I will definitely go there if I can get a good corporate rate, if not, there are other hotels which are way cheaper, though doesn't reach the service quality of the Shangrila.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank CooperSJCW
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2010

Dear CooperSJCW

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with other Tripadvisor readers your recent experience during your stay at the Island Shangri-La in April. I am delighted to hear that you found the service of the hotel to be of a high quality, and that the staff are helpful and ready to serve you with a smile. We take great pride in treating our guests as though they are members of our family, and I hope that you felt that come through in the service you received. With regards to the bed being too soft, next time you stay with us please just let us know as changes can be made to the mattress so that you get a good nights sleep from now on.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and I hope to be able to welcome you back to the Island Shangri-La in the future.

Reviewed 12 April 2010

Overall excellent and everything you would expect from a traditional luxury 5 star hotel. Service and location brilliant. Traditional décor and very comfortable rooms. Expensive though and look elsewhere if you want a modern/hip hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank GBVoyager
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2010

Dear GBVoyager

Thank you so much for staying with us at Island Shangri-La on your recent visit to Hong Kong and taking the time to share your comments and positive experiences with other Tripadvisor visitors about this stay. I am delighted you enjoyed our services and convenient location of our Hotel. We also greatly appreciate your feedback as it is one of the best means we have to reward and motivate our staff to achieve the highest possible standards.

Thank you once again. Please contact us whenever we can be of any assistance. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Island Shangri-La soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2010

We spent 5 days here and were grateful for every moment. Every person we came in contact with was extremely friendly and professional. The concierge was able to get us Visas for a last minute mainland trip and assist us with our arrangements. THe location is away from the hustle and bustle, but close enough to walk anywhere. We stopped by the Peninsula and were glad we didn't stay there, as there is heavy construction going on, and the general feel was not inviting. The views from the Shang rooms are breathtaking. We had a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank onthefly49

Dear onthefly49

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay at the Island Shangri-La in April. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your trip so much, and that our Concierge team was able to assist you so efficiently. Positive feedback such as this is a great motivating tool for all the colleagues in the Hotel, so thank you so much for sharing your positive comments with us and other Tripadvisor readers.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to the Island Shangri-la again soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2010

No doubt, this is a very good hotel. Although I would not go there when traveling individually, I liked the it when traveling on business. As all the other reviews say, the service is top notch, there is nothing to complain about. However, the rooms are slightly tiered and just nice, but nothing exceptional. The most disturbing two things are the elevators and the entrance. There are simply not enough elevators for the large number of rooms in this hotel and once has to wait up to a few minutes for an elevator to arrive. The same is true for the drop off zone at the entrance. As there are only two lanes and (at least) one of them is blocked with fancy private cars, taxis can not drive up to the hotel which means that (1) you are stuck in traffic again for a few minutes until you can drive up to the hotel and exit from a taxi and (2) you have to wait and queue up for 15mins or so in rush hour - not because of a lack of taxis, but simply because of the traffic jam in front of the hotel. A very positive note on this hotel is the free internet, which I really did enjoy and is not usual in upscale/ business hotels.
Again, all in all, I did like the hotel, but I would never consider this the number 1 option in Hong Kong.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank maddog2000
Reviewed 17 March 2010

I had the great pleaseure to stay at The Island Shangri La hotel for just over a week on a business trip. I have travelled for many years on business and have stayed at all types of hotel in many parts of the world, this was truly wonderful and probably the best city centre hotel I have ever stayed at.

As we arrived early our room was ready and we were asked if we would like to upgrade to a Club Horizin room, this offered us free mini breakfast, unlimited tea, coffee and a great champagne happy hour with excellent canapes. We looked at the cost and signed up to pay the extra, it was really worth it.
The room we were given was very plush and a great size, we had the space to spread out. The cleaning service was exceptional, the maid was thorough everyday and always checked to see if we needed any thing else, this really was the tone of the hotel throught our stay.
On the first morning I attended the gym, what a clean and bright space, nothing like other hotel gyms. On arrival they gave you fresh fruit and unlimited cold bottled water also they had personal trainers on hand as well as individual antiseptic wipes to clean the equipment.. Again the staff here were very helpful. After my workout I used the pool to cool down, again very clean and a lovely space, it was a bright sunny day so I got to enjoy the seating area. The pool is set in a very sunny part of the hotel.

The best service I received was at the businerss centre, the most helpful staff ever. As we would be in Hong Kong for two weeks we wanted to get a local Sim card for our phone. Adonis the young attendant helped us chosse a suitable card and even asked if she could set it up for us, this was wonderful as the writing was so small and hard to read. Thank you Adonis, you also remembered me on my return to the business centre and checked if my phone was working well.

I could go on for many hours about this hotel but finally will mention Cafe Too where we had a most wonderful brunch, Hong Kong is full of great brunch places. Cafe too offered great service and a wonderful choice from sushi, seafood, indian, healthy options and fantastic desserts, also great for children.

If you are coming to Hong Kong I truly reccomend this hotel, great location, clean, friendly/ helpful staff and excellent food.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank MATDEN40
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2010

Dear MATDEN40

Thank you so much for staying with us at Island Shangri-La on your recent visit to Hong Kong and taking the time to share your comments with other Tripadvisor visitors about this stay at our hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the services and facilities of our new Horizon Club was worth the extra bit of money. The Horizon Club is a new addition to the Island Shangri-La and has only been open since December 2009, so we will be very happy to share such positive feedback with the team. Through your valuable comments, I will be pleased to commend Adonis for their exemplary performance. We appreciate receiving your feedback as it is one of the best means we have to reward and motivate our staff to maintain and continually improve our standards.

We thank you once again for your very kind words and appreciate your recommendation of our Hotel to other Tripadvisor visitors. We are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Island Shangri-La in the future. In the meantime, please contact us whenever we can be of any assistance.

Reviewed 17 March 2010

This hotel is amazing. Although the lobby is not breathtaking, the other parts of the hotel are beautiful. There is a gorgeous garden on the 41st floor that is in front of a huge mural that goes all the way up to the 56th floor. That portion of the hotel is a feast for the eyes. You can ride a bubble lift and admire the mural and the garden below. That was one of our son's favorite things about this hotel.
The hotel is connected to a mall which also has a grocery. It is also very near the subway station so going around and shopping are quite easy.
We stayed in a deluxe room. It was quite spacious and offered a good view of what was outside the hotel. Unfortunately, our room did not give us a very good view of the harbour but the views were nice nonetheless. The room was very clean and the beds and pillows were most comfortable. The amenities were complete. One of my favorite parts was the bathroom. It had a separate shower and bath, and the tub even had a TV in front of it. The bathroom was also immaculately clean. Their toiletries were of a good brand, too.
The hotel was luxurious, the facilities top-notch and the food was fantastic, but one thing that really made our stay at this hotel one of the best hotel experiences was the service. We received complimentary tea on our first day and got a fruit basket daily. The room was serviced twice a day which kept it extremely comfortable and clean. The members of the staff at the cafe were very helpful and efficient. Each member of the hotel staff we would encounter had a ready and pleasant smile. The requests we made were all attended to respectfully, promptly and accurately, too.
Being a guest at this hotel makes one feel like he/she is very much pampered and living a life of luxury, but somehow, it still makes one feel at home. We have stayed at a lot of hotels in different countries but I have to say that our visit to Island Shangri-La was the best! The rates are a bit higher compared to those of other hotels but what you spend at this hotel is definitely worth it.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank megurogirl

Dear Megurogirl

Greetings from Island Shangri-La Hotel. Thank you very much for providing your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel with other Tripadvisor visitors.

I am very delighted to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities during your stay, as well as you and your son like the mural - “The Great Motherland of China”. You might also be interested to know that the mural depicts a landscape of China and measures 16 storeys high. It also carries the award for being the largest Chinese landscape painting in the Guinness Book of World Records. Your feedback really is one of the best ways we have to reward and motivate our staff to achieve the highest possible standards. We take great pride in trying to welcome and take care of our guests and genuinely make them feel at home during their stay, and I am thrilled that we succeeded in helping you have a comfortable and relaxing stay.

Thank you once again. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to Island Shangri-La in the near future, and do please contact us if we can be of any further assistance whatsoever.

Reviewed 24 February 2010

Decorated for the new year celebrations this hotel was beautiful. From the moment we arrived at the airport counter to the moment we left we were exceptionally well looked after. I have stayed in some lovely large hotels over the years but the service here outshone all of them. Staff were smiley, polite and couldn't have been more helpful. The room was beautiful, view amazing and attention to detail outstanding. We ate in the summer palace restaurant and enjoyed delicious food & great service.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BristolPixie
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2010

Dear Bristol

On behalf of the Island Shangri-La, I would like to express our heartfelt appreciation for your kind words in regards to your recent stay experience at our hotel. We are most delighted to know that you enjoyed our services throughout your stay with us. Through your valuable comments, we will be pleased to commend the team for their exemplary performance. We appreciate receiving your feedback as it is one of the best means we have to reward and motivate our staff to maintain and continually improve our standards.

Thank you so much once again. We are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Island Shangri-La in the near future, and do please contact us if we can be of any further assistance whatsoever.