“Expected Shangri La with Oriental twist”

Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
Ranked #13 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 13 May 2010

As expected for a shangri la hotel - clean,good service,comfortable. For HK, the room is spacious with excellent harbour view, and throughout the hotel there are oriental touches. The breakfast spread was good, but for vegetarians/muslims, the salad/fruit/juice bar and the bread station is the only suitable selection. Free wi-fi available in the room is a big plus.

We only had a few hiccups staying here : 1) Housekeeping turndowned for 1 pax instead of 2. They only got it right the final night 2) They bell boy was supposed to help carry up some items however it was only brought up to our room after 20 mins. 3)The bell boy went in straight to the room right after a few second he rang the bell. Thank heavens I was properly dressed.

As for location, it is situated at the very business-y part of HK island. So you'd need to take a cab/mtr/tram to go to other interesting part of the island. MTR is about 8mins walk through a shopping complex which is located underground. Tram stop is just a bit of walk outside the hotel.

Despite the few hiccups, I'd reccomend staying here if you dont mind spulrging a bit for a very good hotel and also dont mind being not so close with (tourist) place of interests.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank missyaliaa
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2010

Dear Missyaliaa

Greetings from Island Shangri-La Hotel, Hong Kong. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments with other Tripadvisor visitors about your recent stay at our hotel. I am very concerned to learn of our failure to properly arrange the turndown service for your room, our delay of delivery and the improper steps of our bellman took when entering your room; please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and disappointment you must have experienced. Kindly be assured that I have taken up the matters with our Director of Housekeeping and Chief Concierge to ensure that proper counselling to the team and measures are initiated to avoid similar recurrence. In regards to the food variety for vegetarians/Muslims, our Director of Food and Beverage and Executive Chef have taken your feedback seriously and are currently implementing that necessary changes and improvements. However, I am delighted that you enjoyed the rest of your stay, and thank you for your compliments about our services and free wi-fi. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it helps us learn where we still need to improve in order to make you, our guests, as happy as possible.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me via the Hotel should you need any assistance. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Island Shangri-La.

Reviewed 4 May 2010

We stayed at the Island Shangri-La for two nights on a recent trip to the far east. 10 days later we decided to return there, unexpectedly stranded in Hong Kong when our flight home was cancelled due to the volcanic ash. I loved this hotel after 2 nights but after an extra 8 nights absolutely adored it! We stay in many 5 star hotels around the world and the island shangri-la is certainly one of the best we have ever stayed in. I cannot praise the staff highly enough. Of particular note was the concierge who not only assisted me in getting to a hospital for attention to an infected finger but who also sorted out a car and an extremely helpful member of staff to escort me.
The rooms were spacious, spotlessly clean and the daily fresh fruit a life saver for our 7 year old daughter (thank you to Elaine Lau, our superbly efficient and charming chambermaid). The buffet breakfast was excellent, as was the evening buffet at Cafe Too. The spa and pool were absolutely delightful and once again the service there was faultless. The location was excellent, above the Pacific Place mall, right next to Hong Kong Park and a short walk from the Peak tram station. We also stayed at the Landmark Maderin Oriental during our stay (before the delay) and the Island Shangri La was a head and shoulders above that hotel in terms of service, room size, views, comfort, in fact everything. A wonderful hotel, in a great location with excellent service.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank minihally
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2010

Dear Minihally

Firstly, we hope that your infected finger is recovered and you are feeling better now. On behalf of Island Shangri-La Hotel, I would like to express our heartfelt appreciation for your stay with us on your recent visit to Hong Kong and for sharing your positive experiences with the other TripAdvisor visitors. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed our services and facilities, and we are delighted you consider us to probably be the best hotel in Hong Kong right now. We take great pride in treating our guests as though they are members of our family. Through your valuable comments, I will be pleased to commend our Concierge team and Elaine for their exemplary performance. We appreciate receiving your feedback as it is one of the best means we have to reward and motivate our staff to maintain and continually improve our standards. We thank you once again for your very kind words and are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to Island Shangri-La in the future.

Reviewed 2 May 2010

I stayed for 2 nights on business, 25-27 April, room 4523. Maybe I'm just a tired and jaded international business traveller, but I can't quite see why this hotel ranks 1 or 2 out of 250+ hotels in Hong Kong. Sure, without any doubt it is a very good quality hotel - broad views of the peak or harbour from the full-size windows; good quality fittings; plenty of staff on duty; branded toiletries; good location above Pacific Place shopping mall; and so on. It's hard to find anything to complain about (except perhaps the price, if you're not benefitting from a corporate rate). But Hong Kong has some of the finest hotels in the world, and I just don't see this place in the same class as the (refurbished) Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, and so on. Maybe it's just because it's starting to suffer the problem of (relative) old age. For example, everything in the room is basically clean and comfortable, but most things are starting to show their age - limescale or other gunge around the sink taps; ingrained and irremovable stains (from boiling water maybe?) on the marble / granite bedside table; and so on. As happened at the Mandarin a few years ago, eventually time catches up on these hotels, even if they are cleaned daily, and I expect that within 5 or 10 years the rooms here will need to be stripped out and completely modernised. I smiled when I saw a fax machine in the hotel room - so 1990s! I wonder how many guests send faxes from their rooms any more? The only tiny "complaint" (but it was not worth mentioning at the hotel) was that the welcome-drink pot of Chinese tea, which looked lovely, arrived about 30 minutes after I was in my room. By that time I had already finished a cup of coffee that I had made for myself! The small hair in the tea-cup was unwelcome, but I just blew it away. Oh yes, and the "excellent service" that so many other reviews comment on? Well, let me put it this way: yes, it's nice to see smiling faces, it's nice to be greeted ........ but ....... it's also nice to be left alone! For example, I just wanted to casually walk around the pool one evening to see what it was like - I was greeted by one waiter(?) as I approached the pool, then I needed to smile and reply to the pool attendant's "Good evening, sir", then I walked towards the outdoor restaurant - looking AWAY from it - but still a staff member approached me to say hello, then on the way back yet another staff member greeted me - by this stage I truly wanted to ignore him but just about managed to offer my 4th "Hello" in the space of maybe 2 minutes! I am sure many travellers will love this sort of attention (especially if they have no friends of their own) but I just found it oppressive. The same routine applies if you try to get from your taxi to the elevators - you'll be apprehended at least twice each time, I found. Anyway, as I said at the start, maybe I'm just a jaded traveller. Oh, I nearly forgot - the free WiFi for guests is much appreciated - it's a big turn-off when hotels charge for that. But overall, based on value-for-money, and compared with the local competition, I would only rank this hotel as Average. Sorry!

4  Thank Gemakan
Reviewed 18 April 2010

I've stayed at many hotels in HK, this time being my first at the Shangrila. Overall, I would always pick this hotel if it I could get a good rate. It is an expensive hotel.

Other than the price, rooms are big and comfortable (except for the bed in my case, which was too soft).
Staff are always helpful and with a big smile.
Pool, restaurants, exec. lounge, etc... top notch. Free wifi everywhere and quite fast actually.
Location is great; next to Pacific Mall, Hong Kong Park and to the MTR.

As I said, I will definitely go there if I can get a good corporate rate, if not, there are other hotels which are way cheaper, though doesn't reach the service quality of the Shangrila.

3  Thank CooperSJCW
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2010

Dear CooperSJCW

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with other Tripadvisor readers your recent experience during your stay at the Island Shangri-La in April. I am delighted to hear that you found the service of the hotel to be of a high quality, and that the staff are helpful and ready to serve you with a smile. We take great pride in treating our guests as though they are members of our family, and I hope that you felt that come through in the service you received. With regards to the bed being too soft, next time you stay with us please just let us know as changes can be made to the mattress so that you get a good nights sleep from now on.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and I hope to be able to welcome you back to the Island Shangri-La in the future.

Reviewed 12 April 2010

Overall excellent and everything you would expect from a traditional luxury 5 star hotel. Service and location brilliant. Traditional décor and very comfortable rooms. Expensive though and look elsewhere if you want a modern/hip hotel.

4  Thank GBVoyager
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2010

Dear GBVoyager

Thank you so much for staying with us at Island Shangri-La on your recent visit to Hong Kong and taking the time to share your comments and positive experiences with other Tripadvisor visitors about this stay. I am delighted you enjoyed our services and convenient location of our Hotel. We also greatly appreciate your feedback as it is one of the best means we have to reward and motivate our staff to achieve the highest possible standards.

Thank you once again. Please contact us whenever we can be of any assistance. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Island Shangri-La soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2010

We spent 5 days here and were grateful for every moment. Every person we came in contact with was extremely friendly and professional. The concierge was able to get us Visas for a last minute mainland trip and assist us with our arrangements. THe location is away from the hustle and bustle, but close enough to walk anywhere. We stopped by the Peninsula and were glad we didn't stay there, as there is heavy construction going on, and the general feel was not inviting. The views from the Shang rooms are breathtaking. We had a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank onthefly49

Dear onthefly49

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay at the Island Shangri-La in April. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your trip so much, and that our Concierge team was able to assist you so efficiently. Positive feedback such as this is a great motivating tool for all the colleagues in the Hotel, so thank you so much for sharing your positive comments with us and other Tripadvisor readers.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to the Island Shangri-la again soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2010

No doubt, this is a very good hotel. Although I would not go there when traveling individually, I liked the it when traveling on business. As all the other reviews say, the service is top notch, there is nothing to complain about. However, the rooms are slightly tiered and just nice, but nothing exceptional. The most disturbing two things are the elevators and the entrance. There are simply not enough elevators for the large number of rooms in this hotel and once has to wait up to a few minutes for an elevator to arrive. The same is true for the drop off zone at the entrance. As there are only two lanes and (at least) one of them is blocked with fancy private cars, taxis can not drive up to the hotel which means that (1) you are stuck in traffic again for a few minutes until you can drive up to the hotel and exit from a taxi and (2) you have to wait and queue up for 15mins or so in rush hour - not because of a lack of taxis, but simply because of the traffic jam in front of the hotel. A very positive note on this hotel is the free internet, which I really did enjoy and is not usual in upscale/ business hotels.
Again, all in all, I did like the hotel, but I would never consider this the number 1 option in Hong Kong.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business