I have just returned from staying at the Kowloon Shangri-La with my mother, sister and her three young children. We spent an exceptionally comfortable 8 nights in interconnecting 'Deluxe Harbour View' rooms on the 14th floor. The hotel caters extremely well for children, on arrival they were greeted with coloured pencils and pads, and in the room were freshly baked cookies and milk, as well as mini slippers and robes!
I was too early to check in and was given complimentary cocktail vouchers to enjoy in the lobby lounge. I also experienced the afternoon tea here which was generous and delicious.
The location is great, coming from the airport, you take the Airport Express train and get off at Kowloon, hop on the complimentary K3 bus which drops you off at the Shangri-La - the hotel is the last stop on the route, so if you're tired (or you arrive late at night - the bus stops running at 11pm) and want to get straight to the hotel, I'd advice a $50 taxi. The East Tsim Sha Tsui MTR is below the hotel, it is also a short walk to the main Tsim Sha Tsui line, Nathan Road etc. There is a small 7-eleven shop right next door to the hotel should you need drinks, milk etc.
The rooms we had were spacious and the beds exceptionally comfortable, it is well worth splurging and opting for a harbour view room if you can - from here (at a slight angle) you can see the 8pm light show in the evening. The bathroom was a good size with a large walk in shower and a medium size bath with lots of amenities.
Take the lift to level 'M' (by Kafe Kool) and this connects you to a walkway which takes you over the busy road and down onto the Avenue of the Stars, you can walk along the waterfront all the way to the Star Ferry. It takes about 10 minutes (depending on how many times you stop to take photos!) This is also a 1.2km jogging route from the hotel to the clock tower.
The 24hr gym is very well equipped but compact, the pool is also on the small side, but was fine for the children to splash around in. There was a jacuzzi to the side of the pool, and In the changing rooms are sauna and steam rooms and relaxation chairs which are all immaculately kept. The staff were very helpful and attentive.
We had all our breakfasts at Kafe Kool and I'd have to say this was definitely a highlight of our stay! It is more of a buffet brunch, a vast eclectic array of really delicious food. From the freshest fruit, juices, cereals, freshly made eggs any style, bacon, hash browns to noodles, rice, curries, dim sum, salmon, salads, cheese, danish pastries, freshly made pancakes and waffles... I've experienced a few hotel breakfasts and I'd say this topped the lot (with bells on!). The staff were initially not very attentive, but by the end of our stay it had improved a great deal, a particular mention and thank you to Jacky who was great!
Overall we had a great stay here, the service was very good and the sleep quality great - any small niggles (rudely awoken once at 3.30am by some loud music coming from the speakers in the bathroom, a technical fault) were dealt with immediately.
Hong Kong is a small place, and to be honest you could stay anywhere and be within easy reach of most places. It was the little touches combined with the views that made this stay highly memorable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located along the legendary Victoria Harbour, the award-winning Kowloon Shangri-La boasts 688 spacious and elegant guestrooms with modern conveniences and luxurious comfort. Five acclaimed food and beverage outlets, including a Michelin-starred Chinese restaurant, together with a sophisticated lounge and a chic bar, offer a range of exquisite cuisines. The Mass Transit Railway is just right next door, and the Airport Express stations and Star Ferry are only minutes away from the hotel, enhancing its already prime location as the hub of business, shopping and entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, Travelbag, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Agoda, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel Hong Kong
- Shangri La Hong Kong
- Shangri La Hotel Hong Kong
- Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong