We had a 2 night stay in this hotel on our Honeymoon in room 1619 , a beautiful room with beautiful views of the harbor although the weather in march tried to spoil this for us .
After an effortless check in , we literally had to warn off the amount of staff wanting to help us to our room with our luggage , but with new family members in tow we were used to opening our own doors to the wonderful experience of opening the door to our room .
Within a few moments we had complimentary jasmine tea delivered to our room , beautifully presented and enjoyed and wonderful dragon fruit was also in room enhancing the welcome.
We then planned our evening in the dimly lit Lobby lounge which had Tapas food on offer , the service was warm and friendly , the drinks list was exciting and the live singing group added the romantic flavor that we had so hoped to end our 10 day stay in Hong Kong . Alas after ordering a Tapas dish consisting of chorizo sausage and cherry tomato , things were to take a turn for the worst .
After only two drinks each and eating our fill we made our way back to our room , by 7am the next morning my wife was vomiting non stop , I had mild stomach pain not to that extent but my wife had eaten most of the chorizo as it is a favorite . By 10 am my wife's mother sister and brother in law had arrived as per a family yum cha we had planned , to find my wife spontaneously vomiting and diarrhea , they are all Cantonese speaking and wanted to take my wife to private hospital . By this time it was time for new husband to act as i really felt the hotel had a part to play in this . I rang reception twice as they could not locate the duty manager , within a few minutes however he called the room , i advised him the situation and offered him feedback that they may have some risky chorizo in the house , and was a doctor present in the hotel . There was not , but apparently next door there was a clinic , we went to the downstairs foyer where we asked a bellboy who was prompted to take us to the clinic . He came all the way with us to the clinic before returning which impressed , my wife was given gastrostop and buscopan and anti nausea tablets .Once back to our room , some complimentary chamomile tea arrived shortly followed by a call from the food and beverage manager Freddie Chung , he offered his concerns for my wife and would conduct an investigation into our food order .He was to call 2 other times later in the evening to offer a gentle congee for my wife , but she was asleep by then . He again called the following morning and advised he would see us on check out , indeed he did while i fixed the bill , my wife was still dry reaching in the toilet . so he did not get to see her firsthand until we came back to get our luggage . Freddie presented us with a box of high end chocolates as an offering and saw my wife for the first time , he also offered further contact once the results from the kitchen were in . At every point that there was an opportunity for the Hotel to offer help without presenting as liable they did so , Freddie was most impressive and deserves praise . However it has to be said that mild food poisoning was not what we had in mind for our stay at the Kowloon Shangri La , perhaps this is subjective as i ate in there cafe the following night and the food was fine . So my wife is better now and eating properly after 4 days back here in Australia , as for Shangri La we almost found it !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located along the legendary Victoria Harbour, the award-winning Kowloon Shangri-La boasts 688 spacious and elegant guestrooms with modern conveniences and luxurious comfort. Five acclaimed food and beverage outlets, including a Michelin-starred Chinese restaurant, together with a sophisticated lounge and a chic bar, offer a range of exquisite cuisines. The Mass Transit Railway is just right next door, and the Airport Express stations and Star Ferry are only minutes away from the hotel, enhancing its already prime location as the hub of business, shopping and entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travelbag, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel Hong Kong
- Shangri La Hong Kong
- Shangri La Hotel Hong Kong
- Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong