“Glad to be back”

Ranked #14 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Melbourne, Australia
“Glad to be back”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I first stayed at this hotel not long after it opened. Much has changed in Homg Kong and this area in particular has become very built up.
We often stay in Shangri la hotels and they never disappoint.
I am delighted to say that the Kowloon hotel is still wonderful.
Service is amazingly pre-emptive and the systems are fail safe.
Paying more for a harbour De Luxe room was well worth the extra.Why come to Hong Kong to look at buildings.
The Kool cafe was so good that we mostly ate there rather than face the HK crowds in the street.
This hotel is hard to beat.

Room Tip: Treat yourself and pay more for a harbour view room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
KowloonShangrilaMGMT, General Manager at Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Roger M, thank you for your stupendous support. We are thrilled to read all your compliments and they are certainly a great motivation to us while we continually strive for service excellence. We look forward to welcoming you back to our world of hospitality next time you are in town. Regards, Ulf Bremer, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (909)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Taipei
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed this hotel almost 7 days this trip, I was attending a workshop in hotel and the function rooms were nice with the great Hong Kong Island view. The meeting room set up and meal arrangement I have to say that the hotel must paid a lot of attention. My rooms was on 14 floor, the size of room was pretty big comparing with other hotel in Hong Kong. Good accommodation for family travel together as well. The hotel is close to the MRT station, even in the raining day we can walk to the MRT by the underground. The BAR on G floor almost every day very busy.... Next time my personal trip I should have some drinks there..

Room Tip: pick the room is close the elevator , no need to walk to far to the elevators.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank pano2006
chicago
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Good news...upgraded to Horizon Club room but next to an elevator shaft...or other device of some sort...so that sleep is not likely. Went to the Shang Palace Restaurant (**) and ordered duck...waiter came back and I was told that they were sold out of that dish. She suggested pork belly as an alternative...I said fine. Another waiter then returned to say that her suggestion was sold out, as well. I gave up and settled for the soup I had ordered as a starter. I had also ordered a bottle of water and glass of wine. Received the bill with an apology but no credit considered, apparently (even for the small water...which at Shang is extreamely expensive). I stay at Shangra La frequently and have a reservation at this address on my return through Hong Kong next week...we'll see...

Room Tip: Do not choose 2026...excellent harbor view but noise from the utilities
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank businesstrav056
Dear businesstrav056, I am most concerned to hear your disappointment in the room assignment, and share your feeling. Please kindly write to my Executive Assistant Manager, Terence Tan, at Terence.tan@shangri-la.com, with your name so we can make record of your preference for your future stays. Thank you for your support of Shang Palace and regretted that the dishes you wanted to order were all sold out. Please let us know in advance so we can reserve your desired orders. We look forward to welcoming you back this week. Regards, Ulf Bremer, General Manager
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I cannot comprehend how bad my experience was. I thought that, for sure, after some good reviews the hotel would be pretty satisfying - especially carrying the name Shangri-La. I could not be more wrong. From the beginning, the service they gave me was very bad. The concierge featured this young man who was already busy (that's ok), and this old man who could not care less how long I was waiting as he was supposedly helping my but on the phone with someone else. As if he could not care less about my time. Then, the room was decent at best. The beds were not so comfortable as advertised and it was just much too price for so little. I highly recommend anyone book another hotel as this one was severely disappointing.

Room Tip: I simply recommend you to not even book this hotel. Other Shangri-La's were ok, but this one was...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Justin H
Dear Justin H, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We regret to hear that the Concierge failed to meet your expectation. We appreciate your feedback and have shared it with our Chief Concierge. Please accept our sincere apologies for the lapse in service as we take it seriously. We hope to have another opportunity to deliver our usual high standard of service next time. Regards, Ulf Bremer, General Manager
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 10 July 2014

From the moment we arrived in the lobby we were made completely welcome we were taken up to the club lounge to check in and as it was our honeymoon we had a bottle of wine, flowers, fresh fruit and green tea waiting in our room. The view of Hong Kong Island from our room was exceptional. The rooms are spacious for a city hotel and it is very central. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to HK for business or pleasure and I would also recommend a harbour view room. Thanks to all the staff for making our trip so memorable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
KowloonShangrilaMGMT, General Manager at Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear PheebEd, we are happy to be part of your memorable honeymoon trip. Thank you for your recommendation and compliments on our Horizon Club lounge. We hope to welcome you back very soon. Regards, Ulf Bremer, General Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Started a 17 day Far East honeymoon at the Shangri La and leaving for Bali in the morning. I just wanted to say a huge thank you to the hotel and staff who have been wonderful. A cracking corner harbour side room with unbelievable views was afforded to us and even though we've tried not to get in the way we have been made so welcome - a real thank you to Elaine and Jan who have been fantastic to the new wife and I. We have friends who live on the island so whenever we're back there's no place like home !!!!!

Room Tip: Get room 1229 for a fantastic view like we did !
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Emma C, congratulations again and it’s been a great pleasure taking care of you. Thank you for your motivating words for Elaine and Jan, which we have gladly shared with them. We all look forward to welcoming you home. Regards, Ulf Bremer, General Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We booked two rooms for 4 nights. Check in was a little slow even though they did not appear to be busy. We upgraded to the horizon club which we are tossing around on whether it was good value for money. They charge by the room and one of our roomss had our daughter and granddaughter - so that was full price even though our 4yo grand daughter could not benefit from the package. Most nights we could not even go to the 21st floor because she was under age. We would have to get our drinks and go down to the 20th floor.
We had dinner in the main restaurant on the first night and were very underwhelmed. We got in late and I think they were in teh proces of closing the kitchen.
Well that's the negatives out of the way. Breakfast in the main dining room was excellent, lots of variety. Breakfast in the horizon club was also very good. Not as much variety of course but a better overall experience. Their service was exemplary.
The hotel is metres away from the East TST metro and our room had lovely views of the harbour - it's hard to imagine a better location.The rooms were large and comfortable, spotlessly clean and very well appointed. Wifi was quite fast with trouble free connections.
Overall, this was a very pleasant experience and I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel or stay there again.

Room Tip: If you aren't travelling with children, upgrade to the Horizon Club.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank OzBrian
Dear OzBrian, we are all glad to receive your nice compliments and thank you for your recommendations. On another note, I am most concerned to hear about your less than satisfactory experience in our restaurant. Could you please email Antoine Babin, our Director of Food and Beverage, at antoine.babin@shangri-la.com with more details so that we can get back to you with our investigations? Thank you also for your feedback on our Horizon Club’s children policy. Children under the age of 12 with supervision of parents or guardians are very welcome to use the 21st floor club lounge before 6pm, after that, they may use the 20th floor lounge with the same range of food and beverage. Thanks again for your kind support and we all look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon. Regards, Ulf Bremer, General Manager