“Outstanding service, wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong

Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong
Ranked #14 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Sydney, Australia
“Outstanding service, wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

For our honeymoon we spent just under a week in Hong Kong and after looking at and almost booking more expensive hotels we decided on booking the Kowloon Shangri-La, and it was a very wise choice.

From the moment we arrived at the hotel one of the lovely staff of the guest relations team came out and met us as our Airport Express minibus pulled up. One of the porters promptly helped me with our luggage and the guest relations team member, welcomed us warmly and showed us inside.

The building itself is beginning to show its age however the driveway, entrance and foyer do not show their age at all. The foyer of the hotel is very tastefully furnished with marble floors, chandeliers and a fountain also a very large and comfortable lounge area. The check-in process was quick and easy and we were then personally shown to our room.

As per the website, the hotel is being refurbished with one wing of the hotel closed. There was some work being carried out whilst we there, however the noise was minimal and was only heard during the middle of the day and never early in the morning or in the evenings. Also any evidence of any work being carried out was discretely covered up so it was hardly noticable.

We had booked a deluxe harbour view room. Our room was very large and comfortable with all the mod-cons, including large flat screen tv and some nice touches such as electric blinds which would open automatically when we entered the room. The bathroom was quite large with marbled floors and walls and a large shower area and bathtub.

We had the pleasure of eating at the buffet in the Cafe Kool and a dinner at Shang Palace, both highly recommended and the service at both was of a high standard. Shang Palace however, even though the food was great you can find pretty much the same at a much lower price outside. We also spent some in the hotels' lounge area, great range of drinks and snacks with very friendly service.

I would have to say that the service at this hotel was absolutely fantastic. We have stayed at other Shangri-La's and also in Horizon Club rooms in the past and I would have to say the level of service that we recieved at the Kowloon Shangri-La was by far the best we have ever experienced. From the front desk to the doormen, the waitresses in the lounge, to everyone in the guest relations team everyone that we had interacted with were very professional, friendly and in some cases went beyond what we expected. In once instance, as I was not feeling well when we arrived in Hong Kong our guest relations officer upon hearing this sent up a jug of hot water, a selection of teas, honey and sliced lemons and a get well soon card. Something that I did not expect at all...

On a side note I would also like to thank our guest relations officer Gladys, who was very hospitable, very warm and went beyond what we expected. She was aware that we were on our honeymoon and made our stay extra special. She made our stay our Hong Kong and our honeymoon even more memorable; I look forward to staying at the Kowloon Shangri-La again in the very near future.

I highly recommend this hotel and would not hesitate in staying there next time I visit Hong Kong.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

I stayed here only for one night on our way back from Cebu to Mumbai. The hotel is very nice and big and well maintained. However, the staff is not as courteous as expected in a 5 star property. The 24 hr room service has hardly anything to offer after 11pm. I checked in after 11 pm and was very hungry. The only thing I could get was a chicken club sandwich which was as hard as a rock to bite.
The room was lavish and the bathroom was simply superb. All expected amenities were avialble in the room.
However, I'm sure there would be better hotels in hongkong at the same price.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights last week at the end of an extended trip in Asia and Australia. I had picked it mainly to have a view of Hong Kong harbour which was stunning from our 19th floor room but the hotel would have been a great choice even without the view. Service was friendly and efficient from everyone we met - the front door man who ran out after me to offer me an umbrella, the concierge, the front desk staff, the restaurant staff who always stopped to chat over breakfast and the young woman from technical assistance who arrived within minutes of my checking in to sort out a problem with (free) wifi access from my laptop. We had been upgraded to a Horizon Clubroom without seeking it and in future I would be willing to pay that bit extra for the privileges it brings - excellent buffet and a la carte breakfast, snacks throughout the day and a cocktail session from 6 to 8 where free drinks are served (with the price of wine and spirits in Hong Kong this is a real bonus!) with canapes and dim sum. The room itself seemed to have been refurbished recently and was large and beautifully furnished - they think of everything including a printer in the room - handy for online check in - stapler, paper clips, all you could possibly need for a home office set up, oh and an iPod dock. The spacious bathroom had a huge walk in shower and again every little detail was taken care of. I had a massage in the spa to help cope with jet lag and the standard was excellent and good value. Hong Kong is a wonderful destination. It was lovely to be able to escape the frenetic activity and humidity from time to time and tow watch the neon light show from our room and the junks, ferries and cargo ships plying the waters of the harbour. We only got time to sample the tapas bar in the hotel but I got the impression that the restaurantsoffer a wide range of options from cheap and cheerful to ultra-sophisticated. This hotel is right up there with the best that the Shangri La and Hong Kong have to offer. By the way I stumbled on Pacific Custom Tailors in One Pacific Place on the island and would strongly recommend them for turning out excellent men's and women's suits in less than 48 hours.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2010

I have this love-hate relationship with Hong Kong. Love that vibrancy of this city yet the pace makes me dizzy. I'd met the Kwok family on my visit to Sydney in April'09 and promised to come and stay at their favorite Kowloon Shangri-la on my next visit to Hong Kong. Was attending the investor summit which usually ended with late night parties or a session at Macau.

Just as one would expect, Shangri-La is a delight to senses. The lobby is grande and gave me a sense of serenity in all the hustle bustle of the city. Rooms are spacious over looking the HK Harbour. Bathrooms are neat and spacious too. I got to spend time in the evenings and spent them well at the health club (aka fitness center). They have a well equipped gymnasium. I spent some time at the Sauna and a session of hot oil massage which end in the swimming pool.

Had dinner on the first night at the Cafe Kool. It's an open kitchen resturant serving a range of meals. I settled for some continential salad with a glass of banana smootie. This resturant is not to be missed at any cost. A tad steep in prices, but worth every cent spent here.

Did get to the lounge but could not spend much time there, but promise to be back soon!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank anandberia
Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, Bahamas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2010

Most hotels advise you about renovations taking place...Stayed here and had to stay out of our room for almost all day due to toxic smells such as carpet clues or similar. It was HORRIBLE. Drilling started at 6am in the morning, then the air con had the same sound as in the plane all night long, constant whining. They gave us two small milk sachets each day, so we had to buy our own milk. No tea bags, but they had tea leaves and pot. Who feels like doing all that every time you want a cuppa. As someone else in reviews mentioned the staff stood around with hands out for tips..$$$$..so we just ignored them and gave it to staff who we thought were not greedy. Breakfast on the 21st floor was awful with no service, better on the lower floor where the staff were not up themselves. Horrible staff in the Horizon Club. The only thing going for this hotel was the harbour view......For $1000 dollars a day I could get better elsewhere in HK.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

I have been staying at the Kowloon Shangri-la for more than 10 years. Simply put there is no hotel I have stayed at that has better service. From the front desk staff to the concierges to the management everyone is always great and at the top of their game. The bellmen are fabulous as well. I am always greeted by name which is nice when you are so far away from home and want to feel like you are not alone. The management is great as well with many of the managers usually coming to greet me and ask me how things are.
The hotel has been around for quite some time but it is kept in tip top shape, they are constantly renovating and making sure that the hotel does not show it's age.
The rooms are amongst the largest in Hong Kong. I always stay in a deluxe garden view room. The rooms were renovated about 5 years ago and are still very nice. In fact they are in the process of being renovated again. I was shown a superior room that was renovated just last month and they are great with 40" flat screen televisions and spacious rain forrest showers. I would suggest that you ask for a renovated room as the non renovated ones do show there age. I am quite certain that they will have all the rooms renovated within a month or two. The beds are great and the bathrooms are large and spacious. The hotel and rooms are always spotless and the butlers on each floor do a great job anticipating your needs.
The coffee shop known as Cafe Cool is newly renovated and has a great breakfast buffet and is good for other meals as well.
The location is great and centrally located in Kowloon right next to the MTR station which will take you anywhere you need to go in Hong Kong. It is a 5 minute walk to the busy shopping district of Nathan road.
The pool is very small and the fitness room is passable but is fine for what is needed.
Although there may be other hotels in Hong Kong that are cooler and newer there are none that are more comfortable and offer better service. Simply put if you are coming to Hong Kong this is the place to stay. I have tried many hotels in Hong Kong but nothing matches up.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank RichieCMontreal
Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2010

Check-in was friendly but slow. Harborview room, older but well maintained and very good size but spoiled by musty damp smell. Said this was unacceptable and very quickly moved to higher floor where smell was less, but still very noticeable. Great view, though aircon did cause moisture on window which restricted the view. Service in and to room very good. Checkout very slow. Found baggage people just a little too familiar. Would not use again simply because I expect a sweet-smelling roon for $400 US per night. Had same door-opening experience an other reviewer mentioned - lobby full of employees at all times, but nearly always had to open the door myself - noticed that locals with fancy cars , presumably not staying there, always had veveryone rushing to open the door for them. There are better hotels for this kind of money.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business