“There is a difference between a 5 star and a 4 star” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Regal Airport Hotel

Regal Airport Hotel
Ranked #101 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Hong Kong, China
“There is a difference between a 5 star and a 4 star”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

Yes this is located within 5 minutes walk from the arrival hall, and you'd probably won't expect much from an airport hotel as all you need would probably a shower, a bed and that's all, but calling this the World's best airport hotel got into my nerve.

First off I work at a 5 star hotel in Hong Kong myself so i was hoping for a special accommodation deal after landing hong kong in late afternoon. Called up the reservation department and told them I would have my brother checking in first as he will arrive at 11AM and I'll be arriving later at around 6PM, they refused as under hotelier rate the hotelier person needs to check in first. Now I've stayed in many different hotels around the world and I always got special deals without me checking in first, this is the first time ever i got rejected. I've offered them my business card via e-mail, even allow them to offer me BAR rate then later on honouring the industrial rate in case i failed to show up, all got rejected by their reservation manager. I was furious and just hang up the phone. Then turned out Ctrip offered the exact same deal but even better - room with breakfast and complimentary late check out until 1500hrs with 1 free welcome drink, boom!

My brother changed his flight so we both arrive late in the afternoon. Read the other review on having massive Chinese group checking in was not the case for me, the counter was emptied. So this lady 'J' at the reception greeted us with no smile and I gave her the ID and the luggage tag for check in, I've actually punched in a non smoking room twin beds but yet she have to ask again (note here not reconfirming), that got me into thinking whether the request was in placed at all. She returned me the ID and the credit cards by placing on the counter without even tried to say here you go thank you, i was amazed. And when i asked to have the late check out confirmed at 1500 she said no latest is 1400hrs, I then showed her the confirmation on my cell which stated LCO until 1500 free of charge and 1 welcome drink, she looked confused and started asking her colleagues and supervisors around, and of course she did issue out the coupon. We were then assigned to room 7066. Room key given, no smile still, no thank you whatsoever, didn't even bother pointing where the elevator was until we asked. fantastic service this.

Went up to the room, perhaps this was the best part of our stay - the view, I overlooked the arrival runway with the sunset, very good sound proof as well with the double layered glass windows.

The room looked dated, curtains seemed dirty (there were dusts falling off we we tried to close the curtains!), kinda disguisting.

Waited for 15 minutes the luggage won't come, so I called reception and the lady "R" transferred me to the bell desk, and they actually asked where my luggage tag was and what's the number! so I told him i gave it to the lady at check in, he then advised the bags would be up in 10 minutes, pfff...

We then headed out straightaway as we had dinner reservation made at the disneyland hotel, we then noticed the toilet won't flush properly, guess what's the reason? it's all rusty! So we had to pay a visit at the reception desk and asked for assistance. Just glad they had that fixed before we returned.

The pillows were way too soft i could hardly sleep. Anyway the next morning we went for breakfast, it was ok but way too crowded. When we returned to the room to enjoy the view just before we leave, i couldn't help but to notice there was a consumed water bottle stucked in the bottom of the sofa! How disguisting was it! On top of this the maid knocked on the door and asked whether we would like to have the room being serviced. I told her we were due to check out so there's no need for that. On normal occations if a room is due to check out you won't go and ask, if a guest wants the room to be serviced he/she would either call or leave the 'clean up' sign lit, this amazed me.

Check out was even appalling. The girl 'M' served a western couple with full smile and personalized conversation however when I reached the counter she turned into blank face again, and funny how every time she presents me with something (for e.g. a bill, pen receipts...) she would just look down and just her hands offering me the items as in she's making a bow. Why?

Never to the Regals....

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jacqueline A
RAH_HK, General Manager at Regal Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Since you are an industry colleague working in Hong Kong, may I suggest you contact me under rah.dgm@regalhotel.com

In the meantime, we apologize for not having met your expectations on this occasion and look forward to hearing from you.

Alexander Haeusler
Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

If you're transiting through HKG, this is a no-brainer. Its 2 min short walk from the terminal, via a completely covered walkway. The rooms are fine, since probably you only want a shower and to sleep. The wifi works fine (they charge, but the normal rate). There are five or six restaurants and a sports pub in the sub-lobby, which seem to be open most of the time. I found check in quick (unless you arrive at the same time as a Chinese tour group) and you can walk straight out in the morning, just drop a form in the box. As other reviewers mentioned, it's pricey ($200-$300 I have paid on various occasions) but compared to dragging downtown, it makes sense. Last time I got up at 8am and I was in the Qantas Lounge by 0840.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at the Regal Airport Hotel.

We are grateful for the positive comments you made in regards to our location and your overall satisfaction to our hotel services and facilities.

We hope to have an opportunity to meet you personally and serve you again in the foreseeable future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Stopped off at the Regal overnight during a flight connection... nothing much to say, good or bad - it's just a couple of minutes walk from the airport terminal, which is great although the checkin is frequently overwhelmed as large numbers of guests arrive at once. The hotel is enormous, which means that there are long delays on room service (the only food option if you arrive late) and the rooms are ok but a little tired around the edges.

Probably the best option for a HK layover, but don't let their website get your hopes too high.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your constructive comments. We regret to have known that we did not meet with your expectations at certain areas during your stay including check-in, room service and the guest room conditions.

While apologizing for our shortcomings, we have already started re-engineering our check-in and room service delivery processes in order to significantly reducing the check-in and room service delivery time during peak hours.

On the other hand, we have also recently started our guest room improvement program by upgrading our guestrooms in phases. I do hope I could personally handle your next reservation at the Regal Airport Hotel so that I could offer the best service to you.

Look forward to personally welcoming you back in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

I was flying to Singapore from New York and only had a one night/half a day layover so I decided to stay at the Regal to save myself the hassle of lugging my stuff into the city and back. I used to live in HK so I knew exactly where I wanted to go with my one day to shop and the Regal was super convenient because it's right next to the airport express train which takes you straight to Central. The staff were all very courteous, the room was clean and functional. Maybe a bit dated which is why I give it a 4 instead of 5 but really, it's a business hotel not a fancy vacation hotel so it was perfect for what I needed. They have free wifi in their lobby which was great and also you can walk about 100 feet to the airport and use the HKIA free wifi as well.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

We appreciate your recommendation of our hotel and location.

We certainly suggest you to experience our restaurants, offering diversified dining options from Western, Chinese to Japanese cuisines in the future.
Once again, we thank you for supporting our hotel and hope to see you again in the near future.

Hong Kong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

I am a Hong Konger but have stayed at the regal many times over the years if my flight has been very early or my arrivasl has been very late. In terms of convenience this is an awesome location. I stayed here when it first opened I really believed it to be one of the best airport hotels in the world.

Sadly, each time I have stayed it has been worse and worse, which is ironic because the room rates have gone in the opposite direction - higher and higher. The last time I stayed (November 2011) will be the last time I stay. The rate I was charged was over US$200 for just one night (actually about 10 hours to be literal). The room smelled both of cigarette smoke and mold. The fittings were simply tatty. I had no access to wireless. The carpet was stained and dirty. The place was more like one that should charge by the hour rather than the night.

It's a shame because this is so convenient but therein I suspect is the problem - they get the guests because people do not realise they have other options so I feel very much like they are taking advantage of that fact. But there are other options - the Marriott as well as the Novotel are very close by. Next time I will be going there and not back to the Regal unless they make some serious upgrades.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank KikiWorld
Dear Guest,
Thank you for supporting us over the years, and we thank you for sharing your experience and constructive feedback.
We were concerned to read your review, which certainly did not reflect our usual standards. Your feedback is important to us in order to enable us to continuously improve our services. In fact, we have already started our guestroom improvement program and we are in the process of improving and upgrading all our guestrooms by phases.
Please let me handle your next reservation personally so that I could make genuine amends accordingly. In the meantime, I sincerely apologize for not having met your legitimate expectations on this occasion and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kowloon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

My family and I concluded our two-week Easter trip to Berlin and London and returned to Hong Kong. After a long flight, we landed in Hong Kong's international airport around midnight despite very bad weather - raining cats and dogs. As we were very tired and the weather was terrible, we decided to spend the night at the Regal Airport Hotel before returning home in the city centre the next morning. Thanks to the convenient location of Regal, the heavy downpour did not get us wet as the hotel is connected to the airport by an enclosed link bridge. As a regular hotel guest, we got an upgrade this time. Our suite has a family room and a bed room, large and comfortable enough for my family of three. We had the best sleep in days amd woke up the next morning refreshed. The buffet breakfast at the cafe on the lower ground floor was very good too, not to mention the good and friendly services provided by its staff. No wonder, Regal was awarded the best airport hotel title for last couple of years.

Room Tip: Corner suites are usually better.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending the Regal Airport Hotel.

We appreciate your compliments regarding our services, room facilities and location and most importantly, it is our great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to have the pleasure of soon welcoming you back to our multi-award winning hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

I think this hotel is great for a quick stop because I can leave the airport and without waiting for a courtesy bus or getting the train, I can be there after a 5 minute walk. I stayed there most recently in early May 2012 when I had an eleven hour gap between flights. For me, saving the hassle of getting to Kowloon or Hong Kong Island is worth it for such a short stay. The beds are comfortable, the bathroom is clean and well stocked with toiletries and although the runways are visible from the hotel rooms, the sound thankfully doesn't travel through to the rooms. Check in can be hit and miss - two previous times I was checked in promptly and efficiently - this most recent time though, check in was haphazard and took far too long. Nevertheless, I will stay here again between connecting flights.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Regal Airport Hotel and your constructive feedback.

We are delighted to learn about your pleasant stay and your appreciation of our location, service and facilities. However, we regret to have known that your expectation at check-in was not met during your stay and we apologize for our shortcomings which we are in the process of re-engineering our check-in process in the target of significantly reducing the check-in time during peak hours.

Looking forward to personally welcoming you back in the near future.