“Terrible, Just Terrible--”

Ranked #103 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Los Angeles, California
“Terrible, Just Terrible--”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

In almost 100 reviews, I think this is my first "terrible" review. It might have been merely "poor," except this hotel bills itself as one of the "best airport hotels in the world." Really? Please.

So traveling through Hong Kong, my Cathay flight misconnected, so with a twelve hour layover, Cathay put me at the Regal Hotel.

So I get to my room, it's after midnight, and I'm on the 4th floor---and what do I hear? The constant, CONSTANT pounding of a band from the ballroom/disco (?) FOUR floors away on the ground level. This continues --unabated --until almost 1:30AM in the morning as the bass POUNDS through the walls. 1:30AM! This is a hotel---not a disco. If I wanted to go to a rave---I would have gone to a rave. People go to a hotel to sleep, especially at 1:30AM! Obviously the hotel management sold out for drink sales instead of customer comfort. Until the music finally stopped near 1:30AM, I might has well have slept outside under the runway as the sleep quality would have been equal (perhaps better?). Please note that I can sleep through a lot----but not this.

And let's talk about the dirty room---I've taken photos. For a hotel that touts itself everywhere in it's literature as one of the "best" airport hotels in the world---I shall let the pictures speak for themselves. First of all, the hotel is decorated (at least my room) like an Eastern European bloc hotel circa 1983. The carpets are stained, and crumpling and all need to be replaced (should have been a long time ago---I looked in other rooms as I went down the hall and they were all equally as soiled). The walls haven't been painted in a long, long time. The bathroom wall is stained. I would be scared to see what would show up with an ultraviolet wand. And in my opinion, a rollaway should be put in the room if you request it---not just left there. And while they're at it----they might want to let the pictures hang on the wall straight versus crooked (might not have even commented about something like that if everything else was in order---which it wasn't---which to me means that management simply doesn't care).

Now in a positive light---and just to be fair, the hotel seems to have spent most of their money in the common areas---lobby, etc. which are bright and cheerful. The breakfast buffet was very nice, and the pool looked nice. And the location is great if you're overnighting between flights.

OK---charity has now ended. Bottom line is that it seems to me that the folks at Regal Hotels have simply decided that because they have a great, convenient location at the airport---which they do---that most people who stay there are victims of delayed flights or have no choice but to overnight there for convenience sake---so----they simply don't care about guests comfort or quality of rooms as they know they'll most all be gone in a day.

In retrospect----if I had known, I would have simply gone into Hong Kong, spent the night at my own expense, and had a wonderful breakfast in the city, and taken the 30 minute cab ride back to to airport and continued to my flight. I suggest that those reading that might consider doing the same thing versus staying at the Regal.

Room Tip: Take a taxi to downtown Hong Kong and get a room there! :)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank WorldTravelerAsia
RAH_HK, General Manager at Regal Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Regal Airport Hotel and for taking time to share your experience with us during your recent stay.

We sincerely apologize if our service fell short of your expectations on your recent visit and the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us particularly with the noise disruption in your room. We will continue to concentrate on training and developing our associates as a priority to ensure that service is delivered as promised.

Please rest assured that we have brought your comments to the Head of department responsible and also shared them with the associates involved.

We would be most honored if we could once again be of service to you on your next visit to Hong Kong and welcome another opportunity to give you a firsthand experience of the service culture that sets us apart and for which we continue to be known.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we could be of any further assistance to you.

Thank you very much and we look forward to having you back at the Regal Airport Hotel.

With warm regards from the World's Best Airport Hotel in Asia's Most Exciting City!

John Girard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (660)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Well if you don't mind the lines to check in and rude staff coupled with rotten burgers, surely waiting staff, dirty smokey rooms this is the place. The fact that it is so convenient to the airport is all it has going for it, shame really.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank William A
RAH_HK, General Manager at Regal Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Regal Airport Hotel!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us during your recent stay. Your comments are indeed valuable to us, as they help us in our committed effort to serve you better.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have encountered with the smell in your guestroom. Rest assured that we have placed great priority on the point you raised, and that our team has taken the necessary action to ensure that the mouldy and smoky smell is rectified immediately.

We would be most honoured if we could once again be of service to you on your next visit to Hong Kong and welcome another opportunity to give you a firsthand experience of the service culture that sets us apart and for which we continue to be known.

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 6 November 2013

NEVER again!!! This Hotel scores points at arrival with an almost impressive atrium and exceptional staff - the STAFF is GREAT!! However once in the room anything that was good about the hotel just disappears.. The rooms look like they were taken from a bad 60's horror movie! Furniture and décor are absolutely horrid and uncomfortable; A/C does not work properly; internet does not work properly; hot water took nearly 10 minutes to "warm" up; the room and the hallways smell of dampness and mildew - absolutely horrendous smell. The TV was completely slanted on some 1950's pedestal; gave me a headache just to look at it... An "empty" minibar??? on call??? so if someone wants a bottle of water in the middle of the night I must wait 30 minutes for it to be delivered??? By far the worst hotel that I have ever stayed at in Hong Kong ; I travel to HKG at least 6 times a year and I will never; ever use this hotel again; nor will anyone in my Company. A true shame because it is so convenient. The ONLY good thing about the Regal HKG Airport is its staff - and absolutely nothing else. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, and the Management should be ashamed for charging what they charge for such horrendous hotel and rooms! How on earth Skytrax gave the Regal awards is beyond me!! Never again. At best this place should be rated a 1 1/2 stars and charge no more than $50 per night (and that is too much). I suggest the hotel undertake a Major revamp to justify what they currently charge or rename itself the "Regal Dump" and start its rates at $40 per night. Absolutely not HKG standards at all! I expressed my sentiments to the Manager before I left as this is not acceptable for the amount of money they charge.

Room Tip: I do not think there is a good room in this place!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank JTNYC13
Lion City
Reviewed 3 November 2013

A good Hotel for anyone who needs to stay close to the Airport for business or leisure. It is just a 3 minute walk from inside the arrivals terminal itself to the hotel reception. From the rooms where I stayed, I could see a section of the runway, and the movement of planes.
It is a quick 24 minute journey by train from the station located inside the Airport to Kowloon on the Hong Kong island. The train ticket is HKD 100. This was valid for the return journey as well, when I took the train in the evening, and returned the same day.
For anyone wanting to do some quick shopping, there is a big mall called IFC at the Kowloon Station itself. It has restaurants, supermarkets, electronics, clothes, pharmaceuticals, etc
The spread at the hotel breakfast buffet in my opinion should improve, and probably the choices should change from one day to another.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelLions

Greetings from Regal Airport Hotel.

Your comments are indeed valuable to us, as they help us in our committed effort to exceed guest expectations and create value at every encounter.

We are delighted to receive your kind words about service experience with the hotel.

We are delighted that we had the opportunity to be at your service and we look forward to welcoming you back at Regal Airport Hotel.

Vancouver
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

The location and the room were not bad especially if you are on transit and you need a room for next morning flight. However, the reception/desk staff need to learn from other hotels. At check in, the guy who helped me didn't make me feel like I was welcome. He seemed just "obligated" to do his job to get me a room. The check-out was even worse. After checking the computer in front of me during check-out, the lady at the desk told me "Okay, bye!" which were the first words she told me instead of asking how was my stay. I got puzzled that she would just tell me to go without giving me my receipt so I asked for it. She said in a very stiff way " No receipt! We don't give receipt". I had to explain to her that as a customer I need to get my bill but she reasoned out more that I am not getting any receipt at all. I got really frustrated that I had to change my tone and she was forced to give me a blank form with the hotel name and address! I didn't want to make a scene as I noticed the other customer beside me who was being helped by the other staff was also complaining to that staff about the importance of having free internet in the room (which I was going to complain, too, but did not have a chance because I didn't even think she would care!). I just took the form and told the lady "I hope you won't charge me other things except the room charge after I leave this place". I even told her I am not coming back to this hotel ever again! Customer service at the desk was non-existent at all! If you still want to book this hotel, good luck in getting a welcoming atmosphere from the desk. Hotel management should teach their reception desks to respect the guests and make them feel welcome!

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank VancouverCoie
RAH_HK, General Manager at Regal Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Greetings from the Regal Airport Hotel!

We sincerely apologize for falling short of your expectations, particularly with the check-in and check-out service at the hotel. Rest assured that we will bring your comments to the attention of our Front Desk associates, particularly as regards being more approachable to guests by rendering service with a smile.

Furthermore, regarding for not being able to provide invoice for you under circumstances, it might be because you booked your room through a third party in which you are not required to make any direct payment to the hotel for the stay. Please kindly provide further booking details directly by email at stay@airport.regalhotel.com for our checking. Please understand that we are not privy to the deal that made for you. We are therefore not in a position to provide you the requested invoice.

We would like to assure you once again that we are committed to training and developing our associates to ensure that we are always able to deliver to the satisfaction of our guests.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed only one night at regal hotel.I realised that I left my iPad in the deposit box when I arrived at my hometown so I made a phone call to housekeeping department and spoke with Ms. Hegal Tsang, the officer, she told me that my iPad is already kept safe with them. With Ms. Hegal's help, I manage to get back my iPad through Fedex without any problem and I have been very impressed with her service mind and great help. She is an asset of the company. Now not easy to find such service mind in every hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Greetings from Regal Airport Hotel.

We are delighted to receive your kind words about your service experience with our associates. We strongly believe that our associates are our greatest asset, and we are indeed proud of them.

We will be more than happy to share your comments with them, as we are sure they will be most appreciative of your compliments.

Sydney
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Booked this Hotel on trip back from the mainland to Australia. Landed in at 1.30pm, very easy walk. Room was a little small but fresh, and well designed, and had the most comfortable bed I had slept in for 2 weeks of travelling.
There is plenty in the hotel, with pools, spa center, several restaurants and a bar.
I took the bus to Citygate to do a litte shopping and bus back, which is easy.
AT dinner time I looked through the restaurants and decided on the cafe downstairs which has a buffet on. It was a good choice, the selction and quality of food was excellent with several food stations set up with Chefs preparing it for you.
In the morning it was a 5 minute walk to the terminal
Only downside was not having Free Internet

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Greetings from Regal Airport Hotel.

We are delighted to receive your kind words about our hotel.