“I really urge you to NOT consider this hotel....”

Regal Airport Hotel
Ranked #96 of 730 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I was comped a stay at this hotel by the airline, so I figured it's free so I might as well use it. That was a MISTAKE (yes, even when it is free.) Let's start from the beginning. Roll the luggage trolley from airport to the hotel, and at the entrance was stopped by a very rude bellman. He literally yelled at me that the rules are no trolleys in the hotel. Then, once he realized I am a guest, he didn't even apologize, but just point to where the check-in are and walked away with my trolley (after I refused his service). Then, at check-in, despite 5 people at the counter the check-in process is slow. Finally, when my turn is up the agent waved for me to come over and served me adequately but without any warmth or smile, it's like I'm bothering her on her lunch break. I saw a power adapter on her side and asked if I can have one, and she said "NO", and that's that.... then I asked can I have one from somewhere? Then she said, "not this one, I'll send another one up to your room"... Little more proactive to customer's needs please? Walked over to the elevator, as the elevator door is closing all of a sudden a foot came in between with a curse, and no it's not a guest but the hotel bell boy! Usually it's courteous to let hotel guests go first as the door's closing but apparently not this hotel, he rammed in with his trolley. We go to the same floor, and when the door opened without hesitation he rammed his trolley out through the opening as soon as its able. I'm not demanding I have to go out first, but the way he did it is like "you're not going out until I go out" attitude, he even turned and gave me a stare. So much for courteous staff.

Now, my room, it's spacious (Premier Room) but old. The TV is very very small by today's modern stands for a high-end hotel, and it looked 10-15 years old. Then, as I am to use the hot water boiler to make tea, it felt heavy, it was half full of water! No doubt from the last guest... very nasty. Then I want to use some tissues and grabbed one and that's it! Box empty! My goodness.... Bathroom very old, sofa has stains. Everything about the room screams "renovate me." I must say, I didn't pay a cent and I regretted staying here, I can't imagine how any of you feel when you actually have to pay for it....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank TheFoodCritique
RAH_HK, General Manager at Regal Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Regal Airport Hotel!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us during your recent stay. Your comments are indeed valuable to us, as they help us in our committed effort to serve you better.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with the cleanliness of boiler and the empty tissue box. Rest assured that this is an isolated incident, and one that we take very seriously. We have ensured that this oversight is rectified immediately and that it does not happen again.

As of the lack of appropriate action from our bell associates during your check-in. Please be ensured that we will continue to place utmost priority on training and developing our associates to ensure that we are always able to deliver to the satisfaction of our valued guests.

We would be most honoured if we could once again be of service to you on your next visit to Hong Kong and welcome another opportunity to give you a firsthand experience of the service culture that sets us apart and for which we continue to be known.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we could be of any further assistance to you.

Thank you very much and we look forward to having you back at the Regal Airport Hotel.

With warm regards from the World's Best Airport Hotel in Asia's Most Exciting City!

John Girard

Write a ReviewReviews (5,019)

Reviewed 4 December 2013

It's a perfect hotel for overnight transfer at Hong Kong airport. The hotel is connected with the airport terminal and it only take less than 5 mins walk to get from Hotel lobby to airport. The staff speaks good English, and while lack of warmth, they are very professional. The room is basic and needs update but for an overnight stay, it isn't much of a concern since it is clean well. The only thing I would recommand is to have at least some of the full service restaurants stay open till midnight; almost all of the restaurants stop serving food at 10 PM but for an airport hotel, guests typically arrive all hours, it will be nice to be able to have hot food other than the room service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank WEBinHarmony

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Regal Airport Hotel and for taking time to share your experience with us during your recent stay.

Please rest assured that we have brought your comments to the Head of department responsible and also shared them with the associates involved.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

During our recent holiday, I stayed here twice overnight and found it a restful oasis during a busy travel schedule. It is a short walk from the terminal and has every imaginable amenity. The foyer is marbled, spacious and inviting, with an abundance of seating areas, coffee shops, restaurants, fountains etc - a whole village under one roof! The bedrooms were spacious and well equipped with toiletries, bath robes etc. The pool area with inside and outside pools, spas, sauna etc also had a small bar, helpful staff and opportunities for fresh air. Our return flight was not until midnight, so we spent the day in he city while our luggage was stored by the hotel. Back to the hotel late evening where we used the cloakrooms to change for our flight. The only irritation was the long wait for check in - the roped queuing area felt like yet another wait at airport immigration! Also on our second visit, our non- smoking room and corridor reeked of smoke.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Greetings from Regal Airport Hotel.

Your comments are indeed valuable to us, as they help us in our committed effort to exceed guest expectations and create value at every encounter.

We sincerely apologize for not having lived up to your expectations with the check-in service and the unpleasant odor on your floor.

We are delighted that we had the opportunity to be at your service and we look forward to welcoming you back at Regal Airport Hotel.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

The Regal is directly connected to the airport terminal so it's perfect for a meeting or short stop over. I arrived from India early in the am so booked a 'day room'. This was a big pricey at USD200+. However, I had two meetings at the hotel, lunch ( great curry!) and had an hours sleep and a shower before my evening flight to Shanghai. Wouldn't want to stay here more than 1 night, obviously would go into the city, but it is what it is and more than fulfilled my needs for the day.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank WhiteBuddha

Reviewed 1 December 2013

The Regal is conveniently connected to the airport. No transportation is needed to get there. Since I landed at 11pm from the US, the convenience was great. My room was clean and comfortable.
Fitness Center - I used the gum in the morning. The equipment was new, clean and an extensive array of equipment.
Wi-fi - my only complaint is that they charge for wifi. Any hotel accommodating travelers in a major city should provide wifi for free.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 November 2013

This airport hotel really is ideal if you only have a short time in Hong Kong. It is connected to the terminal through a short walk way - and so you can scoot into downtown HK by the airport express if you wish. The breakfast is one of the best I have seen - multiple choices of many cultures on offer.
The swimming pool is also nice - indoor and outdoor options with attentive attendant - dry and wet sauna as well.
Room - standard room - larger size - nice amenities.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anstruthergirl

Greetings from Regal Airport Hotel.

We are delighted to receive your kind words about your experience with the hotel.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed for a conference at the Asia World Congress. An decent experience. Easy, although somewhat long walk after dis-embarking but love the fact it's connected to the airport.

Front Desk/Check-In: C. Must have arrived with other planes, the line for check-in was long. Making it worse was the check-in process was terribly long The front desk personnel were friendly enough and informative. The lobby was comfortable although the lobby bar appeared closed for renovation or other updating. Overall average…after a long flight would have preferred a faster check-in. Note that there are automated check-in kiosks on the right side as you enter the hotel. I should have used these. My fault.

Rooms: C+ Comfortable. With everything you need including in-room coffee. The stations on the TV didn't come in very well. That may have been my room only - not sure. The bathroom was very average. Overall a bit better than average. Comfy bed!

Gym: B Well equipped. I believe 4 treadmills one of which needed a bit of repair but good equipment, free weight area, separate room for stretching, yoga, pilates. Could have used a few more cardio machines but overall very good.

Location: B If you're looking to spend a night at the airport due to a stop over this hotel is the best - directly connected to the airport - you can't do better. Also, if you're here for meetings at the Asia World Congress it's the second best bet (Best is the Marriott which is connected to the Asia Congress). If you stay here you can walk - it's about 10-15 min but the walk is a bit convoluted and there's one spot where there's not much of a sidewalk..you skirt along a guard rail next to the road. Not too dicey but odd that there's not walkway. They do have a bus but just seems odd that you'd have to take a bus to get up the road …what, about a half mile… if that.

Dining: C Had it not been for the steak dinner I had at the China Coast Bar and Grill this would have been a D-. Breakfast is served in the Regal Cafe each morning. I'd say this is closer to a dorm room dining hall than a hotel. While they try to do a good job at providing food choices they fall short. You can get salmon and capers, but not cream cheese or bagels. You can get potato's but no scrambled eggs. You can get cheeses (limited), but no prosciutto or ham. The folks at the omlette bar didn't speak any English - at the Hong Kong airport - really? They have to coffee machines (no table service) so you have to wait in line for coffee…and when they break (as they did the first day) it's a problem. That said, dinner at the China Coast was quite nice. Good server, great smile, great steak. Was expensive though!

Overall if were traveling through Hong Kong I'd say here again. Checked most boxes on my list and I'll be prepared to be disappointed by the breakfast. ;-)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business