“helpful front desk”

Ranked #106 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Vancouver
“helpful front desk”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

OK, everyone's nightmare, I had a booking at this hotel (have stayed here before), roll up to the front desk and try to check in. Nice clerk says no record of my booking, grumpy sigh from me, get out my confirmation to find to my horror the booking was for the next day. Now I know there have been critiques of this hotel, but in this instance the front desk staff could not have been nicer. Immediately confirmed that they had a room for me, escorted me to the Executive floor to check in, and seemed totally unfazed by my idiocy. Yes, the hotel is not as smart as it used to be, beginning to show its age, but clean and very comfortable. Will stay here again if I am in transit, mainly for its perfect location. So nice to get off a flight and only have to walk 500 metres to a hotel (no wait for a shuttle bus thank goodness) and easy access to Hong Kong on the airport express if you have the time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
RAH_HK, General Manager at Regal Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013

Greetings from Regal Airport Hotel.

Your comments are indeed valuable to us, as they help us in our committed effort to exceed guest expectations and create value at every encounter.

We are delighted to receive your kind words about your service experience with our associates. We strongly believe that our associates are our greatest asset, and we are indeed proud of them.

We will be more than happy to share your comments with them, as we are sure they will be most appreciative of your compliments.

We are delighted that we had the opportunity to be at your service and we look forward to welcoming you back at Regal Airport Hotel.

With warm regards from the World's Best Airport Hotel in Asia's Most Exciting City!

John Girard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I was in Hong Kong for 12 hours between flights and chose to stay at this hotel as I was desperate to get some sleep. It is conveniently located just outside the airport and is decent in terms of rooms and facilities.

I had to get a room on the Executive Floor as it was 10 am and there was no other available room for immediate check-in (normal check in is at 2pm). However the $60 it cost extra was compensated by the free internet, the discount at the restaurant and the free wine/cocktails in the evening. I could, if sleep had not been my most important consideration, had also availed of free entry to the health club (shouldn't that be standard?) and got two articles of clothing ironed with no charge. Since checkout from an Executive Floor room is at 6pm, it is a good idea to get one of these for a stopover as you get more hours for your rate. However the rack rate is a steep $395 a night, way more than what you would pay for a similar hotel in the city.

The room was of decent size with a comfortable bed, a good shower and good air-conditioning. There is quite a range of restaurants - Japanese, Cantonese, steakhouse, international buffet, etc - so if you are at the airport with a couple of hours to spare and need a bite, you might want to visit the hotel just to get decent food compared to the food court at the airport. I was impressed by the variety at the buffet restaurant - and though not of great quality, it was pretty good.

Overall impressions:

- I would not choose to stay at this hotel if I am visiting Hong Kong. It is of average 4-star quality and costs more than 5-star hotels in the city. It is also far away from anywhere but the airport.

- If you have a few hours to spare at the airport and need some sleep, it is worth staying at this hotel rather than sleeping on a couch at an airport lounge.

- The restaurant food at this hotel beats the airport food by far, so it's worth walking the 500 metres if you're hungry.

Room Tip: Executive floor - reasons in the main body of the review.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Greetings from Regal Airport Hotel.

We are delighted to receive your kind words about your experience with the hotel.

Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

It took 2 hours to get the room that we booked a month in advance.terrible service at the desks , clueless staff. Lots of people were waiting in the lobby all had similar issues. Some folks were waiting for over three hours. They get away with it since they are the only hotel in the airport

Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Regal Airport Hotel and for taking time to share your experience with us during your recent stay.

We sincerely apologize for not having lived up to your service delivery expectations during your stay with us.

Please rest assured that we have brought your comments to the Head of department responsible and also shared them with the associates involved.

We would be most honored if we could once again be of service to you on your next visit to Hong Kong and welcome another opportunity to give you a firsthand experience of the service culture that sets us apart and for which we continue to be known.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we could be of any further assistance to you.

Thank you very much and we look forward to having you back at the Regal Airport Hotel.

Leola, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I was comped a stay at this hotel by the airline, so I figured it's free so I might as well use it. That was a MISTAKE (yes, even when it is free.) Let's start from the beginning. Roll the luggage trolley from airport to the hotel, and at the entrance was stopped by a very rude bellman. He literally yelled at me that the rules are no trolleys in the hotel. Then, once he realized I am a guest, he didn't even apologize, but just point to where the check-in are and walked away with my trolley (after I refused his service). Then, at check-in, despite 5 people at the counter the check-in process is slow. Finally, when my turn is up the agent waved for me to come over and served me adequately but without any warmth or smile, it's like I'm bothering her on her lunch break. I saw a power adapter on her side and asked if I can have one, and she said "NO", and that's that.... then I asked can I have one from somewhere? Then she said, "not this one, I'll send another one up to your room"... Little more proactive to customer's needs please? Walked over to the elevator, as the elevator door is closing all of a sudden a foot came in between with a curse, and no it's not a guest but the hotel bell boy! Usually it's courteous to let hotel guests go first as the door's closing but apparently not this hotel, he rammed in with his trolley. We go to the same floor, and when the door opened without hesitation he rammed his trolley out through the opening as soon as its able. I'm not demanding I have to go out first, but the way he did it is like "you're not going out until I go out" attitude, he even turned and gave me a stare. So much for courteous staff.

Now, my room, it's spacious (Premier Room) but old. The TV is very very small by today's modern stands for a high-end hotel, and it looked 10-15 years old. Then, as I am to use the hot water boiler to make tea, it felt heavy, it was half full of water! No doubt from the last guest... very nasty. Then I want to use some tissues and grabbed one and that's it! Box empty! My goodness.... Bathroom very old, sofa has stains. Everything about the room screams "renovate me." I must say, I didn't pay a cent and I regretted staying here, I can't imagine how any of you feel when you actually have to pay for it....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank TheFoodCritique
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Regal Airport Hotel!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us during your recent stay. Your comments are indeed valuable to us, as they help us in our committed effort to serve you better.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with the cleanliness of boiler and the empty tissue box. Rest assured that this is an isolated incident, and one that we take very seriously. We have ensured that this oversight is rectified immediately and that it does not happen again.

As of the lack of appropriate action from our bell associates during your check-in. Please be ensured that we will continue to place utmost priority on training and developing our associates to ensure that we are always able to deliver to the satisfaction of our valued guests.

We would be most honoured if we could once again be of service to you on your next visit to Hong Kong and welcome another opportunity to give you a firsthand experience of the service culture that sets us apart and for which we continue to be known.

Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 4 December 2013

It's a perfect hotel for overnight transfer at Hong Kong airport. The hotel is connected with the airport terminal and it only take less than 5 mins walk to get from Hotel lobby to airport. The staff speaks good English, and while lack of warmth, they are very professional. The room is basic and needs update but for an overnight stay, it isn't much of a concern since it is clean well. The only thing I would recommand is to have at least some of the full service restaurants stay open till midnight; almost all of the restaurants stop serving food at 10 PM but for an airport hotel, guests typically arrive all hours, it will be nice to be able to have hot food other than the room service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank WEBinHarmony

Scotland
Reviewed 3 December 2013

During our recent holiday, I stayed here twice overnight and found it a restful oasis during a busy travel schedule. It is a short walk from the terminal and has every imaginable amenity. The foyer is marbled, spacious and inviting, with an abundance of seating areas, coffee shops, restaurants, fountains etc - a whole village under one roof! The bedrooms were spacious and well equipped with toiletries, bath robes etc. The pool area with inside and outside pools, spas, sauna etc also had a small bar, helpful staff and opportunities for fresh air. Our return flight was not until midnight, so we spent the day in he city while our luggage was stored by the hotel. Back to the hotel late evening where we used the cloakrooms to change for our flight. The only irritation was the long wait for check in - the roped queuing area felt like yet another wait at airport immigration! Also on our second visit, our non- smoking room and corridor reeked of smoke.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Greetings from Regal Airport Hotel.

We sincerely apologize for not having lived up to your expectations with the check-in service and the unpleasant odor on your floor.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

The Regal is directly connected to the airport terminal so it's perfect for a meeting or short stop over. I arrived from India early in the am so booked a 'day room'. This was a big pricey at USD200+. However, I had two meetings at the hotel, lunch ( great curry!) and had an hours sleep and a shower before my evening flight to Shanghai. Wouldn't want to stay here more than 1 night, obviously would go into the city, but it is what it is and more than fulfilled my needs for the day.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business