“Lobby as a mall”

Regal Airport Hotel
Ranked #96 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The hotel is great if you have to stopover in Hong Kong as I did. The rooms are spacious, clean, but not very modern, it is needed some renovation. The lobby is great, it's like a small mall where you can walk around and it has good quality wi-fi in the lobby. The outdoor and indoor pools are great and the other facilities as well. All in all nice place to stay if you are transferring of course, otherwise I would suggest other hotel in the center of the town.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
RAH_HK, General Manager at Regal Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Regal Airport Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us during your recent stay. Your comments are indeed valuable to us, as they help us in our committed effort to exceed guest expectations and create value at every encounter.

We are delighted to receive your kind words about your service experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back at Regal Airport Hotel.

With warm regards from the World's Best Airport Hotel in Asia's Most Exciting City!

John Girard

Write a ReviewReviews (4,915)

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was our third stay at the Regal Airport Hotel in HK during a 9-hour layover enroute to Canada from Australia. We find it incredibly convenient as it is a 2 min walk through an enclosed walkway from the arrivals hall after clearing immigration, and the process in reverse is just as easy (we typically leave the hotel approx 1.5hrs prior to our departure time and still have time to do some shopping or go to the lounge). This year we booked an executive double room with club privileges (a little pricey with its $350 price tag but it included buffet breakfast for the four of us, plus 2 x 1 hr massages for my husband and I which we pre-booked the times before our stay - regardless of the day fee, it still works out worthwhile for us in that we need to be able to grab a massage treatment, have a swim in the pool and lie supine in between the two long haul flights - a day stay here works out much cheaper than 4 business class airfares!!!!). I had always thought the hotel was a little "bland" on previous stays, but we were pleasantly surprised to discover on check-in that we had been upgraded to a newly renovated suite. The decor & furnishings were lovely, and the suite very spacious. We had a king size bed, and they brought an additional rollaway for the kids whilst we went to breakfast. The view over the runway was great (my 9 year old son sat at the window for an hour watching planes land!) and the rooms are whisper quiet. Have always been happy with the quality of the excellent massage therapists in the spa and the friendly and helpful staff in the club lounge at check-in & check-out. This year, we were hugely impressed with the upgraded rooms at the hotel too!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Regal Airport Hotel.

We are delighted to receive your kind words about your service experience with our associates. We strongly believe that our associates are our greatest asset, and we are indeed proud of them. We will be more than happy to share your comments with them, as we are sure they will be most appreciative of your compliments.

We are delighted that we had the opportunity to be at your service and we look forward to welcoming you back at Regal Airport Hotel.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have stayed at The Regal before, and its still good. Quick check in and check out. We stayed in a suite which was perfect, and the extra use of facilities was fab to. Would definitely stay again whilst travelling through Hong Kong

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bhindbikinis

Reviewed 29 April 2014

My job requires me to travel often and I have been in 4 star to 5 star hotels in most Cities in Asia Pacific. I am a gold or platinum member with various Hotel chain groups but I never had the opportunity to stay with Regal Airport Hotel or any of the Regal Hotels before. In fact, this was my first trip to Hong Kong as my job never had me travelling there before. I’ve always been simple with expectations and do not demand for services and do not expect anything more than is offered as I don’t see the necessity to kick a fuss over minor issues. In fact, all the hotels I’ve stayed in so far have always been to my expectations or above and I have had many good and memorable moments in all of the hotels and chain hotels I have stayed in to date.
Unfortunately, my stay in Regal Airport hotel, Hong Kong has been the worst experience in my life! And I’d like to share my very unfortunate and unforgettable bad experience with those who may think that staying in Regal Airport will be a good choice.
In fact, I will never stay in a Regal Hotel anywhere, anymore – Here’s why…
My trip to Hong Kong was a last minute decision. I therefore had very little time to be spoilt for choices. Seeing the adverts on the internet on Regal Airport Hotel made me feel that it would be a good idea to give this hotel a try.
My trips had a budget but this hotel’s daily fee far exceeded my budget. Making an exception as I’ve never tried this hotel before, I decided to reserve this hotel thru Booking.com
I booked a Superior Queen size room with breakfast and requested for a high floor. The website showed that there was an option of either a queen sized bed and a double bed room. I therefore went for the queen sized bed. I booked 3 rooms altogether as I had 2 other colleagues travelling with me to Hong Kong for business.
Most hotels I stayed in (Even Airport Hotels in various cities) are ranged between USD$200 to USD$280 which normally includes breakfast and wifi. The Regal Airport Hotel charged me an average of USD$340 per night, without wifi but with breakfast (So I thought). Having not much time left, I put my faith in this hotel and booked it. The website also showed that there will be no booking fee and I had the option of paying cash. I clicked on ‘Pay Cash upon check in’ on the paying method and filled in my card number as it required my details for guarantee ONLY. My stay for 4 nights was finalized.
The very next day, I received a text message from my local bank that my card was accessed for USD$800. I was shocked. I then came to find out that the Regal Hotel was holding this amount as guarantee! I had to make an overseas call from Singapore to the hotel in Hong Kong to find this out. I was still dumb enough to put faith in this hotel and kept quiet about the whole thing.
When I reach the hotel in Hong Kong, my nightmare started and finally became a reality. I reached the hotel at about 2 pm Hong Kong time, only to be received by a very tired and not so friendly receptionist who did the necessary paperwork for us. When I paid the amount in cash, she was agitated and asked me why should I pay in cash to which I answered that there was an option in their site and I accepted it. She wasn’t too happy about it but accepted my money anyway. She counted my money and demanded that I pay an additional of USD$160 as deposit, to which I told her that a sum in my my card was already being help as guarantee. She replied that since I wasn’t using my card and was using cash as payment method, I must pay the additional as deposit. To this I agreed as I was already tired after my flight and just wanted to freshen up in my room as soon as I can. I then asked her if the amount in my card will be released, to which she said that it is already done.
That’s when reality hit me – The receptionist asked me if I wanted breakfast in my package!!!??? I was shocked as I told her that I booked the room which included breakfast. She quickly denied it and said that the breakfast was not included and I had to pay extra. I spent 4 mornings eating in Macdonalds at the airport and did not want to pay extra for the hotels’ breakfast.
The receptionist then said that I had to pay extra for the wifi as well, to which I had no choice but to agree as I already knew about it.
There was no one to bring our bags up – We brought it up ourselves. Once I entered the room, I wanted to faint. Some budget hotels had better rooms to what I saw. It doesn’t matter if the room was small (I have had experiences paying top dollar for small but cosy and comfy rooms) but what I saw at the regal hotel got me dumbfounded. It was the basic and the simplest room I have seen for paying top dollar!
I then decided that I was getting out of this hotel within 3 nights and will not be staying for 4 nights as I had originally planned.
I needed extra water for my room as the room had only 2 complimentary bottles, to my shock – Housekeeping said that we are only to have 2 complimentary bottles a day and the rest have to be paid!!!
I have had dozens of bottles sent up to my rooms in smaller hotels and even 5 star hotels but this was unbelievable!
Next, the toilet. It looked like a scene from a horror movie. The room was cold, no ventilation, the bath tub had cracks and the sinkhole was corroded. The walls had stains and even the glasses in the toilet were plastic. Heck, they only provided toothbrush, bath gel, body lotion, shampoo and shower cap. There was no vanity kit or even a comb!! There wasn't even a shower curtain and the toilet always eneded up wet after my shower! There were even cracks on the toilet walls. Simply gruesome.

My nightmare didn’t end there. I was very busy during the day and had no time to ask for anyone to make my room. Normally, I will receive a slip under my door saying that I should call someone if I needed the room cleaned. In all my 3 nights spent in this hotel, I did not see a single note under my door. I therefore decided not to ask for the room to be cleaned and just kept the room tidy.
On the first night, the wifi (which I had to pay for) was not working. When I called the reception, they explained that there was a system issue and that they were trying to rectify it as soon as possible and that they will call me. I thought that it was fair and decided to wait. I fell asleep somewhere after that. No calls came till morning and when I checked, the wifi had come back on line.

On the second night, I called housekeeping – Asking for the following;
2 toothbrush
2 bath towels
2 hand towels
2 bottles of water
2 bath gel &
2 shampoo

Housekeeping wrote it all down. About 40 minutes later, I get a knock on the door from a staff, an old man, handing over a bath gel and a shampoo – NOTHING ELSE!
When I explained to him that I had a list of items I needed, he became cranky and complained that it was a busy night and that they were short staffed. I replied that I can wait and gave him the list again. He left, only to get my request an hour later by a lady, pulling out shampoo and bath gels from her pocket and bottled water from a plastic bag and towels from under her arm pit. But still, no hand towels and no toothbrush. I gave up.
Finally, I informed the lobby that me and my buddies will be checking out 1 day earlier, to which she acknowledged. On the day of our checkout, we were handed back our deposit of US$230 in cash. When I checked with her to confirm if the money in my card was already released, she checked and replied that it was still being on hold as a guarantee. I was shocked! I was loosing patience and told her that I was mis-informed on this matter and that I was told that the amount was released on the day I checked in. The receptionist was nice. She apologized and said that the amount will be released immediately. Not wanting to make a fuss and since she seemed sincere, I decided to let the matter rest.
When I saw my bill - They had charged me internet for the first night...when they had the maintenence and when their wifi down. When I asked the receptionist on this, she didn't seem to know anything (Or she pretended not to know), she quickly stared at her monitor and deleted the first day wifi rate from my bill. (Guys, please check your bills extremely carefully in this hotel during check out.

I checked out, took my flight back to Singapore and had reached home. At 1.20am in the morning, I receive an email thru my Iphone, an email from Regal Airport Hotel – Saying that house keeping found 2 drinks missing in the minibar and that they were charging HK$73 to my card!!!
What The HELL!!!!
I had never had the habit of using the minibar and always bought drinks from outside even if I needed a drink. I replied the mail at the same time, demanding that their housekeeping double check the minibar as I never took anything from it.
I have yet to receive an answer from them. This hotel is one hotel that I will never step into again.
If I was a critic, I will name this hotel as the world’s rip off hotel – 5 stars.
One the high side, the hotel has a nice and decent lobby. The bed was soft and comfortable. But for USD$340 a night on the average and with such disgusting service and amenities, I would have rather slept in a lodge somewhere where the service would have been better.

4 Stars my A#@!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Siva_75

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Regal Airport Hotel and for taking time to share your experience with us during your recent stay.

Your comments are indeed valuable to us, as they help us in our committed effort to serve you better.

We sincerely apologize that your experience with us fell short of your expectations, particularly with the internet, in room facilities, and our services. Rest assured that necessary action has been set in motion to rectify these problems.

Please rest assured that we have brought your comments to the Head of department responsible and also shared them with the associates involved.

We would be most honoured if we could once again be of service to you on your next visit to Hong Kong and welcome another opportunity to give you a firsthand experience of the service culture that sets us apart and for which we continue to be known.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we could be of any further assistance to you.

Thank you very much and we look forward to having you back at the Regal Airport Hotel.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Checked into this hotel because of its convenient location. Arrived after midnight on 28 April so we were only staying for 8 or 9 hours before our connecting flight. The room was expensive for a 9-hour stay (over $300 US). We expected something luxurious for the cost. Our room was #3062. When we walked in we couldn't believe it. The worn carpet had a buckle in it and the sparse furnishings were tacky. The walls were white wallpaper with large gold flecks. We were afraid to walk on the bathroom floor in bare feet because the black tile had scuffs and smear marks on it. Our view was an exit ramp from a highway and an airport fence with barbed wire on the top.

We set our alarm earlier than necessary just to get out of the place as fast as possible. There is a buffet breakfast on the 11th floor which was more than a continental but was nothing special. We left and ate in the airport lounge.

The only thing this place has going for it is its location. We would never stay there again.

Room Tip: There must be some good rooms in this facility but we sure didn't have one!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We sincerely apologise for not having lived up to your service delivery expectations when you stayed with us.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Sure, the massage came at the end of an overnight flight in a tiny DragonAir economy class cabin, but this was the best massage I ever had in my life (and I'm a girl that has regular massages).

I had a dauntingly long wait until my connecting flight to Sydney same day, and knew I would be too tired to head into downtown Hong Kong, so I decided to book ahead for a day room at the Regal Airport Hotel for a shower, nap and (included) 1 hour massage. The hotel is connected to the airport by a walkway, so very convenient, and worth every bit of the money I paid. The rooms were comfortable and clean - quiet and dark when the curtains are pulled, which is important when you want a few hours sleep in the daytime.

The highlight however, and worth the trip even if you don't book a room, is the massage at the OM Spa, in the hotel. Joye was (I believe) the name of the therapist. It was bliss.

The spa itself is very nice, the rooms were lovely - right decor, right temperature, very professional and courteous staff. They emailed me ahead of time, while I was still in India, to set the appointment, I was pleasantly surprised by this service.

I will definitely use this spa again during my Hong Kong transits. What a great way to relax during flights !!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kim98R

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Regal Airport Hotel.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

If you take an early flight out of Hong Kong, Regal Airport is conveniently located and gives you quick access to both Terminal 1 and 2. Rooms are spacious and quiet, Food and Beverage offerings are many. If you are lucky, you can see some of the biggest planes land few meters from your bedroom window.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family