“Poor Service at Check-in Counter but Nice Sized Rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Regal Hongkong Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Regal Hongkong Hotel
Ranked #115 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
Beijing, China
“Poor Service at Check-in Counter but Nice Sized Rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

I stayed for almost a week at the Regal Hong Kong Hotel and was put-off by the poor service both checking-in and checking-out. When I checked-in, the staff was more interested in getting me to sign-up for their hotel rewards programs (no thanks) then telling me essential things, like my room number or where breakfast was. Breakfast was included in my rate, but no one gave me any information about it. When the man checking me in apparently finished, he just tossed my key on the counter and walked away. I couldn’t believe it was such rude service. At the end of my trip, no one asked me about my stay. When I asked about a bus to the metro station (a free service that Hong Kong provides to major hotels), the woman gave me the wrong information, saying that the bus that goes to Central (the MRT station) was the same as the one that went to the airport, and I would have to wait for 90 minutes. This was absolutely wrong, and thankfully I knew better, and caught the bus.

The service at the concierge was much better and they happily answered questions about the best places restaurants nearby.

The room was bigger than other Hong Kong hotels for comparable prices (although I got a discount through work) and was just fine. The hotel is about a 7 minute walk from the nearest metro station.

Room Tip: Ask to have a harbor view -- mine was small but I could see some water.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank liveinchina
RegalHongkongHotel, General Manager at Regal Hongkong Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us and we are obviously pleased about the positive experiences during your stay but equally disturbed by the poor service you received at the Front Desk. There is no excuse for this and we will work harder to improve the attitude of our associates on the Front Desk. Please accept my apologies for this lapse in our service. Do let me know when you will be coming to Hong Kong again so that we can make arrangements to make your stay more comfortable.

Regal Hongkong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed at the Regal Kowloon on 5/4 and has a excellent experience. Since my meeting the next week is at the island, I decided to try Regal Hong Kong. I am glad to report the Hong Kong property and staff are as good as the one in Kowloon. Room is clean, service is excellent. I have signed up for the Regal reward program and I checked in via a separate seat down area. The young lady at the reward desk was professional and friendly, I do not remember her name but she's definitely care about what she's doing and it shows.
I would rate this as a 4-5 stars property and look forward to use them again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you very much for your positive report on your recent stay with us. It is most encouraging to receive such comments and they will be passed on to the associates accordingly. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Hong Kong.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

A friend had described the hotel as 'faded elegance' so I was expecting the worst. However, I was pleasantly surprised - my room was large and quiet and had all the essentials. Room service was fast and efficient and everything worked. The gym in the sub-basement level was functional - just a pity it was in the bowels of the hotel. The lack of any bar area other than the stark and brightly lit lobby was a pity - but didn't ruin my stay. The neighbourhood is good with a good selection of shops and restaurants within a few minutes walk. The roof top pool was quiet on both visits and a nice place to escape for an hour over the weekend. Other than breakfast I didn't eat at the hotel but the restaurants seemed permanently busy drawing a lot of local business - so I assume that the food was pretty good. Overall pretty good value especially if you're happy to trade of a larger room for some 'faded elegance'. Would I stay again - yes.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RegalHongkongHotel, General Manager at Regal Hongkong Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your positive comments about the hotel although I am sorry that we do not have a bar other than the Tiffany Lounge you referred to in the Lobby. We have done a lot of modernizing work on the rooms and are just completing another floor this month. I look forward to welcoming you back again on your next trip to Hong Kong.

Castro Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

I travel to Vietnam numerous times a year, and like to stop for a day or two in Hong Kong. Its on my nickel, so I visit the various discount travel sites to find a hotel in the under $125 range. The same five hotels seem to always pop-up: Regal, Hotel Bonaparte, Cosmopolitan, Cosmo and Charterhouse. All are in the Wan Chai/Causeway Bay Area.
The Regal is by far the best value of these five. It has a very nice lobby, the rooms are VERY spacious, and the service is exceptional.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Turtle T
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you very much for your positive comments about your recent stay with us. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

I believe thar Hotel industry is a services industry, although this us needless to say but I have doubt that Regal Hotel understand this. Despite the recent and on-going refurbishment of the hotel the service is rather disappointing. First of all, the lady that helped to check us in showed us with very unpleasant face as seems we are unwelcomed, there was no single gesture, facial expression or even word of welcome. As we arrived early around 1230pm, the lady told us that the check in time is 2pm and we have to come back at 2pm to check in, she gave us a note with hotel room number and informed us that when we're back at 2pm we can just show it to the front desk again to get the room key. So I came back at 2pm sharp and had to queue at the front desk again and passed the note to the front desk after 20mins queue and the person who attended us (another person, next to the lady who attended us earlier) said that it was a wrong room assigned and gave us a different room (not the one given by the lady earlier) which is at lower floor.
The front desk also seemed as sales desk to me as we are checking in the people kept selling us extra services which of course needs money - wifi or LAN cable in room (was very surprised the hotel room doesn't even have LAN cable, in which era are we in? Moreover in such developed country like HK?), you need to pay HKD170 per day for Internet, breakfast, room up grade and etc. I was just thinking if the front desk are trained to welcome the guest by selling more and more they could. If you have better room that vacant and no one is taking it up, either you offer it free to hotel guest or just don't mention it. I don't think we need to know how much to upgrade to each room type as we could check it online.
The worst happened during my last morning that I checked out (8am), the bell boy informed us that the shuttle bus to HK station is on 20mins interval, and the shuttle bus to airport only arrives in an hour. So we opted for the bus to HK station and transfer to airport express train. To my very disappointment, we waited for 40mins and there wasn't any bus!! I think the hotel should aware that hotel guests are in need to arrive at the airport on time and missing flight is the worst to happen for any traveller.
After 40mins (I was kind enough to gave them double of the time interval promised) and I went to the bell boy and asked is he aware that the bus is coming soon? He just replied with very rude face"I don't know".

• Stayed May 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your comments about your experience staying with us recently. I am very sorry to learn that you were not made to feel welcome on arrival and I have taken this up with the department concerned to ensure we deal with this issue. Upselling at the desk is simply a way of offering guests some additional services that they may not have been aware of. Many people do not make their own bookings and we find guests generally respond positively to this. Then there is a LAN cable in every room at the writing desk and we provide both WIFI and hard wired options. We are working on installing a new system that will allow us to change our pricing system. If you book through our Web Site, then you are entitled to free internet. Then I am very sorry about the shuttle bus service to the station that is provided by the MTR and not ourselves. Usually they are pretty regular but we cannot control the frequency of this service. I have asked the Concierge to monitor this service carefully and report any shortcomings.
I would like to apologize for the problems you experienced during your stay with us. Should you be returning to Hong Kong again soon, please do let me know so we can make some the arrangements for you.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed 2 nights during April 2012 at the Regal Hong Kong on a stop over in Hong Kong.
We were overall pleased with all aspects of this hotel during our stay.
We made use of the complimentary shuttle bus (contact the hotel in advance) from the airport which picks you up from the Airport Regal hotel after obtaining tickets from the regal counter in the arrivals hall at the airport.
We had booked an executive room (at a great price on an early booking deal online), therefore had our own executive checkin / reception floor with extremely helpful staff who delivered a more personalised level of service (were extremely helpful with sightseeing ideas and directions).
Our booking also included each night, complimentary drinks and snacks within the executive lounge and a full buffet breakfast in the cafe rivoli (was fantastic, there is even a chef on the buffet bar to make your eggs how you like including custom omeletes!).
Our room was very large and luxurious, beautifully decorated and clean. The mini bar also included a personal coffee machine free of charge.

The only slight down point I could mention would be there was a slight smell of cigartette smoke in our room although we requested a non smoking room, however for us was not serious enough for complaint.

Thanks Regal Hong Kong for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ezz1_12
RegalHongkongHotel, General Manager at Regal Hongkong Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you had a good experience and this will be a great encouragement to our associates. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Hong Kong.

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Requested for a change of room bec. initial room had dirty carpet (1516). Next room (1806) was a renovated one, a bit modernized. Very spacious with 2 beds w/c you can push together, bigger than a king bed. Beds and pillows were soft. With tub and separate shower plus toiletries. With safe, coffee&tea, desk. Views are of buildings, Victoria Park and harbor.

Cleanliness wasn't up to standard. Hairs on both shower and tub. AC was kinda loud. No help from bellboys to get taxi and to load bags into taxi.

Convenient location.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RegalHongkongHotel, General Manager at Regal Hongkong Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Dear Madam

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I have taken up your comments with the Housekeeping team regarding the carpet in the room you were initially allocated. We do have a program of carpet shampooing and they are also regularly vacuumed to keep them in good condition. We will also work harder to raise the standard of cleaning. I am sorry that you did not get any help from the bell boys to get a taxi and load your luggage. As a general rule they are doing this but sometimes they can be occupied on the floors with baggage collection and delivery. But we will certainly focus on assisting our guests in this area. Please accept my apologies for these shortcomings and we will do our best to make the improvements.

I do hope you will give us the chance to welcome you back again on your next trip.