“Best value for an elegant harbour view room in hong kong”

Harbour Grand Kowloon
Ranked #49 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Best value for an elegant harbour view room in hong kong”
Reviewed 26 November 2010

Elegant, classy, reasonably priced for a quality harbour view room and absolutely pristine clean is what this hotel can be defined as. We checked in this hotel for one night stay to start our trip with a habour view room and we were totally delighted with our stay. Check-in was fast and we were located on the 18th floor with excellent harbour view. Room was absolutely clean, modestly spacy and well lighted. The bathroom was well maintained with a decent size bathtub and all basic toilerties (good quality). Besides high quality room, we loved the beautiful walking area facing harbour outside the lobby area (excellent views) and the rooftop swimming pool including the heated jacuzzi again with breathtaking views. The only disadvantae of staying at this hotel (though nothing major) is its location in Hung Hom slightly away from the main hotel and shopping area of Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) in Hong Kong. Nonetheless, they had a hotel shuttle (drop n pickup) every half n hour from hotel to TST which was highly convenient (distance is barely 10-15 minutes in bus). So overall, i would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a modestly priced high quality harbour view room hotel in hong kong with breathtaking views.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anandshah81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (919)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
shrewsbury
Reviewed 25 November 2010

Stopped at the Harbour Grand recently and very pleased with all aspects of the hotel. From our room on 17Th floor we had a panoramic view over to Hong Kong island, although the nightly light show is partially blocked by the nearby star ferry terminal.
Yes the hotel is a little way out of the main kowloon areas, but a taxi for four people costs £3 and takes less than 10 minutes even in peak traffic. In many ways being out of the hussle and bussle of downtown kowloon is a blessing, as the hotel and promenade outside are an oasis of peace after a day in the city.
Hong Kong Island is easily reached from the nearby Star Ferry terminal, with the journey over costing approx 60p each way, and the return to the more central terminal 25p.
I was particularly impressed with the concierge Heidi who was an expert on any question we had. Tickets for almost all attractions are available in the hotel, at no extra cost and these often save much queuing - at the cable cars to the Po Li Monetary and big buddha we were able to sail past at least 500 people queuing for tickets as we had purchased them at the hotel
We had particularly chosen the hotel for the roof top pool, but due to the number of attractions in and around Hong Kong we never managed to make as much use of the pool as expected - theres just so much to do !! The view from the roof is amazing though.
We are already planning our return trip to Hong Kong and I have no doubt that we will rebook for the Harbour Grand

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank domtim
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 November 2010

We recently spent 7 nights in this wonderful hotel on a trip to celebrate my 40th birthday. The lobby area was very elegant and the views were spectacular, especially from the rooftop pool and Whampoa Lounge. The view from our room was also great even though not looking at Hong Kong Island we had a great view of Kowloon Bay which had lots of harbour activity which the kids loved to watch. We were kindly upgraded to a bigger room as we were a party of four.

We ate at the Promenade and Waterfront a couple of times, the food was not cheap but very good, especially the seafood buffet. Sometimes ordering brekky from the a la carte menu was a bit slow. There is also many eating options down the street in the Whampoa area which also had some very good shopping not mentioned in any guide books. The Staff were also helpful, on the evening of my actual birthday we came back to the room to find a lovely bottle of wine and a very yummy birthday cake waiting for me, that was a very nice and unexpected touch.

One of things I liked best was coming back to the hotel after a busy day in often very crowded places, being a bit away from the action was a nice escape and the complete waterfront location gave a sense of space. The Hotel runs a free shuttle to Hung Hom and Tsim Sha Tsui stations and is also only 2 mins walk to the Hung Hom ferry pier. Catching cabs is also very cheap (approx $5 AUD to get from Mong Kok back to Hotel).

My only dislikes were the size of the beds, the double beds were very small but we managed. Also the rooftop spa was not heated.

I would love to come back to this Hotel!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank SydneyKate_40
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Had a very nice stay n the view from the rooms on the harbour side is fantastic!!

• Stayed October 2010
Kirkwall, Orkney, Scotland
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Nice hotel, but didn’t have the WOW factor for me!

I’ve just returned from staying 6 nights at the Harbour Grand, Kowloon.
This was a special trip – for a 50th Birthday.
I booked directly with the hotel – reservation emails etc... were all handled promptly and efficiently.
I booked this hotel – based on the rating from TRIP ADVISOR – and also it was high up the rankings – as this was a bit of a treat of a trip. I wanted a bit of luxury and pampering and a definite WOW factor.
I’ll go into more detail – but here’s the top line of my thoughts.
• Nice hotel – and although it’s a lovely reception area etc.. – It just didn’t give me the WOW factor which I’ve had from say – some of the top hotels in Dubai.
• Good location – though I worried about the location at the start – I thought it was going to be far from everything – but actually it’s just great. There’s excellent transport links and with the hotel shuttle bus to downtown Kowloon – you can get about just perfectly.
• Hotel is further around the corner of Kowloon than I thought/ pictured on website – so views of HKisland aren’t as WOW as I thought they would be.
• Some lovely staff – some not so nice
• Great concierge team
• Didn’t rate reception – got lots of duff info from them!
• House keeping great.
• One of the guys on the shuttle bus to Kowloon was just downright rude!
• No free wifi – though you get it in hundreds of locations over HK for free
• Health suite “ok” – but the steam room was FILTHY. It smelt and looked like it hadn’t been cleaned properly in months. Also – the staff from the health suite used the toilets while guests/members were there. (interestingly I’ve seen this comment in other reviews now!)
• Lovely rooms – great beds/linen/towels etc..
• REDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE mini bar in room
• A lovely hotel – but didn’t WOW me – and also – seeing that we were out from 9am to late evening – I feel that we didn’t get our ‘money’s worth is use of the hotel.
• Although it was a treat – I didn’t feel that I got value for money. For 6 nights I paid £1300 and that was ROOM ONLY!
• Lots of weddings on in the hotel – which kind of added to the hustle bustle – which I wasn’t really looking for! (3 in 6 days)
I picked Kowloon – as I wanted to have lovely views of Hong Kong Island. I booked an executive room and asked for it as high up as possible.
As we’d not been to HK before I emailed the hotel and asked about the various ways of getting to the hotel. I also asked roughly how much a taxi would be to get to the hotel from the airport.
I got an email back telling me of the hotel bus, trains, busses and also the limo service. (Which was 600HK$)
The email I got from the hotel said that a taxi from the airport would be between 500 and 600 HK$. Because it was almost the price of the taxi – we went with the limo service. It was lovely and we did arrive in style – though I was a bit mad when later on in the week – I found out that a taxi to the airport would cost me about 250/270 HK$. Had I been told the correct info – I probably would have opted just to get a taxi. I did feel in a lot of ways that my naivety of the area had been taken advantage of. (We got a taxi back to the airport, when we were leaving, and even in rush hour traffic we were only 245HK$!)
We arrived at 9.30. The room wasn’t ready – but we knew that – we were able to go up to the leisure complex and use the sauna/ shower etc... (See comments later) – Which was great. We got into tour room at 11. (We were on the 13th Floor)
The room was lovely – but we were kind of round the corner – so we cold see HK Island – but only from North Point left (looking at HK) so really the views you see on the website weren’t nearly as nice as the ones you actually get.
On that point – I think the ‘amazing’ picture of the pool – with the backdrop of HK Island is a little ‘touched up’. I was on the roof several times – and the view I got was not like that. There’s the roof of the building next door with about 10 huge satellite dishes. So my first impression was – this isn’t right?!?!?!
When I first got there – I was a little worried actually that we would be really far out and away from everything – actually – the hotel location is great from the point of view of getting into the centre of all the action!
You can get the shuttle bus into the heart of Kowloon and then a ferry over to HKI or you can get a ferry right from beside the hotel to Central Pier (Hung Hom). The transport links are just great. So don’t worry about being a bit away – it doesn’t take long to get into the thick of things – and actually it’s quite nice being away from all the madness.
Also the area the hotel is in – is a lovely residential area and there are lots of lovely shops and restaurants there too.
Get yourself an Octopus card – you can use it on everything as well as pay for coffee drinks in a variety of shops. We used the ferry directly from beside the hotel (Hung Hom) and you get a ferry right to Central Pier – every 15/20 mins and it take about 15 mins. I enjoyed the ferry journeys – part of the whole experience for me.
The hotel has a variety of restaurants – which I’ve heard good reports about – but I think they’re all very expensive. We ate out all the time – including breakfast – there’s loads of places around the hotel. I just loved eating out in HK it was a real experience and a wonderful part of our holiday!
Heath Suite
The health suite is nice on the surface – but the steam room is DISGUSTING. It stank and on one occasion I put my hand down the side of one of the seats and it was just slime/disgusting. I hate to think the last time it was cleaned PROPERLY. We actually got chatting to a nice chap who lives in HK and is a member of the health suite. He said that many of the regulars had been complaining about the smell from the steam room and the cleaning – and he actually ASKED me to write to the GM of the hotel to complain. He said that they’d been asking for this for a long time. He also commented about the staff using the loos etc.. – said it happens all the time!
We used the health suite 4 times and each time staff came in – while we were there and used the toilets etc... Never seen that happen before!!
Would I stay there again?
Probably no – I wouldn’t. Not that it was BAD – but it was for a special occasion – and I also feel that if you’re out exploring all day and only sleeping in the place – it’s hardly worthwhile forking out for expensive hotels.
Although the hotel had a lot of lovely staff – there were quite a few I wasn’t impressed with.
I hope this has been of help to you – please do feel free to contact me through TA and ask any questions...

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank Orcadian1968
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 19 November 2010

This is a perfectly decent three-star hotel that - with 30% more effort - could turn into a five-star hotel. But anybody who suggests that this hotel meets a five-standard hasn't been staying in five-star hotels. Aside from the staple that turned up in the pasta during our lunch, there's nothing particularly wrong with this hotel. It's just that, all things considered, it could use some sprucing up, some renovation, some better housekeeping. The rooms are tired, and the hallways are lined with wood that's a couple years past need for some fresh varnish. Carpets are occasionally stained, and the bathrooms look as if they've been scrubbed a few too many times.

The gym is a good example. The men's steam room was perfectly fine, but if you stay in there long enough you become aware of a faint musty smell. Has it been cleaned recently? The exercise equipment, likewise, is just not in good condition, and several years out of date.

In other words, it just feels like somebody isn't trying hard enough. This SHOULD be a five star property. Instead, it's just average and a bit over-priced. For the same money you can get a much, much better room elsewhere in Kowloon or Hong Kong Island.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2010

A hotel that works well in every aspect. Just spent four nights there before moving to family nearby. Always a pleasure to stay.

• Stayed November 2010