“Great location and overall very good hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Kowloon Hotel

The Kowloon Hotel
Ranked #142 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
Bath, United Kingdom
“Great location and overall very good hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Mid range price for a hotel in Hong Kong so a mid range experience. Staff were very average when it came to customer service. We were just another tourist. Not one exceptional staff member going the extra mile. Clearly a leadership problem here. The room was disappointingly small but yet had everything you needed for a holiday. Breakfast was above average. Bar was expensive but average price for Hong Kong.
Location was the best part, directly behind the Peninsula hotel, only 5 mins from Star Ferry and on The end of Nathan Road. Perfect! Overall, worth a visit if you want a good location for visiting Hong Kong but don't need a 'customer experience'.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
KowloonHotelMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Kowloon Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Rob B,

Thank you for staying at The Kowloon Hotel. We wish you a delightful time with us and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you again soon.

The Kowloon Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I Visited “The Kowloon” for two nights in early October 2013. The hotel is extremely well located, on Nathan Road, a great shopping district, it has direct access to the Tsim Sha Tsui stop on the MTR, (train) and it is close (about 5-10 minute walk) to the Star ferry.

The room I stayed in was 1317 on the 13th floor and it has a reasonable view down to Middle Rd, although I think you would get a better view a few more floors up. The rooms are very clean and reasonably well appointed. The bed is comfortable and lots of pillows are supplied. The air conditioning which is imperative in HK worked well, and kept the room fresh. The rooms are very small, even compared to rooms in Paris, I don’t think I have ever stayed in a smaller hotel room. These room sizes may not suit some guests. For me it was not too much of a problem as I spent most of the time outside exploring Hong Kong, and Macau and only really used the room to sleep in. I found the external side of the large windows, which do not open very dirty and well overdue for a clean. The walls and doors are a little thin and I was woken very late one night with the noise of a couple in a neighbouring room having a lot of fun.

The dining room where our breakfast was served was great, and offers huge range of good quality foods. Certainly something to suit almost everyone, and the dining room staff are outstanding, with great smiles and very cheery attitude, nothing seems to be too much bother for them.
I found the reception staff to be quite the opposite, and although efficient, unwelcoming and short. I felt like any question I had was a pain for the reception staff to answer. I never saw a smile from any reception staff and every time I entered or left the hotel from the lobby they all looked quite unhappy.
My biggest disappointment with the hotel came at check out when I received the bill for my internet access. The Kowloon Hotel charges for internet access, and at a rate of about HK $140.00 per 24 hours it is not cheap. I knew this from the outset and although reluctant, purchased access. To my great surprise at checkout I found the hotel also charge per device, so if you have a tablet and a couple of phones, for example they are all charged at HK $140.00 per 24 hours for each. This information is stated in very small print at the base of the terms and conditions page on the login page at access. The reception staff do not make this clear on the request for the internet access, and to be honest when I paid the bill on checkout and the way this charge was handled spoilt an otherwise nice stay. I left with quite underwhelmed, which is unfortunate as everything else about the Kowloon was pretty good.

All in all the hotel is a reasonable place to stay, mainly based on its location to Nathan road and the MTR, I think the reception staff are at best flat, the internet expensive and per device charges very disappointing. The small rooms are not too much of an issue if you are aware they are small and you don’t intend to spend much time in them. Apart from the outside of the windows I found my room to be exceptionally clean and quite comfortable.

Room Tip: This hotel has quite small rooms, and the hotel WiFi internet charges can be expensive.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
KowloonHotelMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Kowloon Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear photoscout,

Thank you for staying at The Kowloon Hotel and providing a review on TripAdvisor. It is our pleasure to serve you and we wish you a delightful time with us. Sincerely look forward to welcoming you again on you next visit.

ACT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

The location is fantastic, really easy to get to the pier for the ferry, the train is right underneath you, taxis right out the front. Get anywhere you want! Also the food was very good, I really enjoyed breakfast and dinner there. There brownies are AMAZING. The room however is very very small, it shocked us a little how tiny. For the price you pay I was expecting a little more as it was more expensive then an Ibis or Formula One but the room size is comparable. On arrival we were told they only had twin beds available, but I protested enough until they managed to find a free room with a double bed for my husband and I! Also, our room was very damp, I'm not sure if this was just a problem in our room though. Our books were literally all curvy and contorted from the moisture by the end of our stay. We had to have our sheets changed when we arrived because when we tried to get into bed it was so damp! After that, we started leaving the airconditioner on at all times and that seemed to help. Service was good, they allowed us to have a late checkout free of charge. If its a short stay, and convience is your number one priority then this hotel would work for you.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
KowloonHotelMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Kowloon Hotel, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Dear arasus,

Thank you for staying at The Kowloon Hotel and providing a review on TripAdvisor. It is our pleasure to serve you and we wish you a enjoyable time with us. Sincerely look forward to welcoming you again on you next visit.

Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Clean hotel. Great location. No noise. Rooms are small but again not a problem the room was lovely in every other way. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Would stay here again as it suited my needs solely for a sightseeing trip.

Room Tip: Higher floors are have less street noise. I was on 13th floor at corner. No noise. Nice view down st...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WelshyE
Dear WelshyE,

Hope you had a great time in Hong Kong as well as at The Kowloon Hotel. It is our pleasure to serve you and we genuinely look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Sanford, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed on the club floor and the lounge is a nice break from all the hustle. Excellent location but not a great value. I had no issues but everything is a bit unremarkable. Rooms are very small but this is normal for Hong Kong.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Erick S,

Chennai (Madras), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Great location. Club Lounge with evening snacks and beverages. Easy access to public transport - train station right under the hotel. Walkable distance to attractions like Avenue of Stars, Star Ferry. Close to shopping areas, restaurants, ...
Small rooms - but that is true with any other HK hotel.

My biggest disappointment was that we were asked to pay HKD 200 + tax per night for 2 kids each (6 years and 10 years) for our 2 rooms as extra accommodation though Agoda says "Children 2-11 year(s) Stay for free if using existing bedding." - and we did book through Agoda.

Will not stay here again and do no recommend for families.

Could be a good choice for business travelers though.

Room Tip: Harbor Club floors are a good choice for business travelers. Families are better off choosing a dif...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank arasus
KowloonHotelMgmt, Public Relations Manager at The Kowloon Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear arasus,

Jurong, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

The Kowloon Hotel is more of a Stay and Go hotel. Good location ( very near MRT ) but room is a little too small comparing to other hotels I stayed in HK previously. As for the room, very small room and you have to find a place to open your luggage. I stayed in the most basic room so maybe the more expensive rooms are bigger.

The bed given was 2 single bed combined together even though we requested for a Big bed. It was quite hard to sleep with the hole between and small items always drop between. Pillows are too soft, no support. seems like they did not change the pillows before and no pillow menu to choose from. Requested additional pillows but still, it was very soft. TV in room have limited channels. Maybe it is more suitable for business trip with lots of news channels. Toilet was quite alright with decent amenities such as toothbrush x 2, cotton bud x 4, sanitary bag x 1, hand soap x 1, shower cap x 1. no comb provided no extra toilet roll provided.

The only thing I like for this hotel is the location and the dim sum at the hotel's restaurant. I might not take this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family