“Pricey but nice”

Ranked #10 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We stayed in January as part of our tour of the far east and although we have been many times to all the other major cities we had never been to Hong Kong. The Langham hotel is one block away from Victoria Harbour and there are 4-5 other 5 star hotels in the area, which makes the district a prime tourist area. The hotel service was very good and staff extremely helpful
We did find some of the extras expensive especially items such as water from the mini bar. Our room was on the 4th floor which of a high standard and very quiet despite the fact that we overlooked a busy street. There was a spa and small pool on the 15th floor which was not overused
On the streets we were continually hounded by street vendors and whilst we expected this it did become a pain everytime we stepped out of the hotel. One of the main reasons for our visit was to experience the "wow factor" from the street markets and eating places. On both cases we were very disappointed with the quality of the food and other products on offer.

Room Tip: As one would expect the standards were very high and on par with any 5 star hotel in a major city an...

Reviewed 30 January 2013

My husband and I stayed for one week at The Langham (Kowloon) in mid January 2013, following a 15 day cruise from Bangkok, and were positively glad to be back on land and staying in a luxurious Club room at The Langham. The hotel, once inside, is elegant with a little touch of 'Old England', but don't think that means dated, far from it - modern conveniences abound - from its free wi-fi, exercise facilities, spa and roof-top swimming pool (weather permitting). We truly appreciated the friendly and efficient staff, at every level, who by mid-stay knew us by name.

For a really comprehensive review that I fully concur with, please read "BuffaloBruce224".

Room Tip: Being in the heart of Hong Kong and close to all amenities, don't expect a room with much of a v...
2  Thank SASinToronto
Management response:Responded 7 February 2013

Dear BuffaloBruce224,

Greetings from The Langham, Hong Kong.

We hope you had a delightful trip back to Australia. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with. We are delighted to hear that you had an enchanting stay with as. It is great to hear that you received the level of service that we strive to achieve as a five star establishment. We do pride ourselves on exceeding our guest’s expectations through exceptional customer service and we are sincerely pleased that we achieved this goal during your stay with us.

It would mean a lot to us if you would be so kind as to make contact with by way of email so we can detail the feedback you provided on your personal profile.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity again in the future to extend to you the true Langham service that we are renowned for.

Reviewed 29 January 2013

All was good... except the service standard received from the Front Desk. Location of the hotel was definitely great (that was the reason y we chose to stay in this hotel). Overall the stay in the hotel was pleasant. It was just the service received from Front Desk that left a bad impression so overall it could have been a better experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
DeanDimtriou, Manager at The Langham, Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Dear Mi Lia,

I hope you had a delightful flight back to Singapore and thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that your overall stay with us was a pleasant one and our convenient location met your expectations.

In regards to experience at the Front Desk, I would be extremely grateful if you could make contact with me so I am able to gain further specifics of the shortfall in service you experienced during your stay.

I do hope to hear from you soon.

Dean Dimitriou
Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms
Dean.Dimitriou@langhamhotels.com

Reviewed 28 January 2013

“This Hong Kong hotel is appointed with beautiful European style architecture while the trendy lounge is influenced by local high-end fashion retailers. The location is perfect in the heart of Kowloon, with quick access to the center. Rooms proved to be very comfortable and relaxing at the end of a busy day in the city. I’d say it's tried & true – nothing super special, but a trustworthy bet.”

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 6 February 2013

Dear Consigliera-S,

Greetings from The Langham, Hong Kong.

We hope you had a delightful trip back to Connecticut. We are pleased to know that you had a great time while in our hotel! Thank you for your appreciation on our services and our personnel as well.

Please do not hesitate to return to our hotel at your convenience. We will be more than delighted to serve you during your stay with us.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

My wife and I stayed here for five nights in January 2013, having spent five nights on Hong Kong Island and three nights in Macau. We could not find the slightest fault with this hotel. (We were aware prior to booking that it does not have a view.) The lobby and adjoining tea room are luxurious and well-appointed. The staff in every category are numerous, courteous and well-trained. We stayed in a Premier room (but not a Club room). The room was large, immaculately clean, well serviced, fitted with high spec furniture, lighting and electrics, and had a large, separate and luxurious bathroom. The linen, towels and toiletries were of high quality. When it appeared to staff that I had run out of my own shaving cream, it was replaced without request or charge. Some of the previous reviews talk about a pink motif in the rooms, but that is only for such things as the stationery. Both the rooms and the common areas are extremely tasteful in their decoration.

The gym is located over two levels on the top floor. It is by far the largest and best equipped hotel gymnasium I have encountered. There is an extensive set of free weights (both dumbells and barbells), and a number of very modern, well-maintained and high-tech Nautilus type machines. There is a boxing room with heavy bag and speed ball. Upstairs there are a number of new running machines, rowing machines, elliptical walkers, recumbent bikes, etc. The swimming pool is located on an open air deck/atrium outside the gym. The pool is heated and long enough to swim decent laps.

This quality comes at a very reasonable price. I booked -- admittedly well in advance -- on the hotel website at a tariff of 2100 HKD per night. I am usually cautious about room service given the exorbitant pricing in some hotels. During this stay, my wife and I had room service delivered in a heated compartment which transformed into a table, we had a main course each with tea, and the cost was something less than 40 AUD. My wife ate in the tea room adjoining the lobby on a number of occasions whilst I was out conducting business and the cost was equally reasonable. We did not take breakfast at the hotel. Most hotels place a significant price premium on laundry and dry-cleaning (particularly same day service), but I had a number of articles of clothing dry cleaned at a cost no more than my local dry cleaner in Australia.

So far as location is concerned, the hotel is a very short walk from the Harbourview shopping complex, the Star Ferry terminal, Kowloon Park, Nathan Road, Ashley Road and the TST Metro station. Although personally I prefer staying on the Island, it would be difficult to conceive of any better location if for whatever reason you prefer or are required to stay in Kowloon.

2  Thank BuffaloBruce224
Management response:Responded 6 February 2013

Dear BuffaloBruce224,

Reviewed 27 January 2013

We chose the Langham after reading the reviews here. We stayed with a family of 4, with two young children for 5 nights at the grand room. The online reservation team was very helpful. The four of us were accommodated in a room with an extra bed,with breakfast included. A good deal indeed.

We arrived with high expectations. Since we were a little early, we were told to return later. Which we did, at 5 pm in fact. We were not attended to until I approached a lady standing at the lobby. In 5 mins, we were given the key to our room. That's it. We had to ask where the elevator was. We had to find our way to our room. We had to figure out how to operate the ammeneties ourselves.

The room was awesome, despite being a bit tight (though big for HK standards). Everything in the room was perfect. From the ipod player/charger, the wide variety of pink toiletries to the cute little rubber duckie which my daughters adored. My name was on the TV as a welcome note.

The breakfast was great as well. The freshly baked croissants were to die for. The cool pancake making machine was the highlight for the kids. The L stamped butter were a nice touch.

But we felt there were double standards in the service. Maybe we were Asians, not sure. I can understand the raving reviews, which I think the majority are from western guests. To give an example, almost every (western) guest were greeted by name during breakfast. Some were offered scarfs even if they were feeling chilly. I had to give reminders for my latte. My wife as well for her watermelon juice. Dont get me wrong. The service we received were still good. Just that I'm not being fan of racism discrimination. In fact I am disgusted by it.

The the location was great. Very central. Especially for shopaholics which I happened to have married one. For the kids however, there was nothing for them. The pool was small, and chilly during our stay. Coming from the Kingdom club of Disneyland this was a tad disappointing for the girls.

In summary, this is an awesome hotel indeed. Everything published on their website is true. The rooms are five stars and beyond. Its perfect for business, and couples. Not so for families with small children like I do. And I'm still a bit turned off by the double standard we felt.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank yeemeng
DeanDimtriou, Manager at The Langham, Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2013

Dear Yeemeng,

Greetings from The Langham, Hong Kong.

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am most grateful for your comprehensive feedback, both positive and constructive. Bringing such detailed feedback to our attention enables us to constantly monitor and improve our hotel operation more closely.

I am extremely pleased to hear of your family’s positive experiences during their stay with us; from their perception of the hotel as “five stars and beyond” and also as a perfect hotel for business guests and couples travelling together. It is was also comforting to read that our amenities and food and beverage on offer resulted in a positive lasting impression.

I am, however, disappointed that the shortfall of service that you received in the restaurant led you to believe that there are inconsistencies in the luxury service we deliver to our guests. Please be assured that at The Langham, Hong Kong, we strive to deliver enchanting hospitality to every guest. Please accept our sincere apologies if our shortfalls in service led to you believe that this was not the case. We have taken your comment on board and will further enhance our service delivery.

Thank you for highlighting that your daughters enjoyed our Langham Swan as well as the pancake machine in our L’Eclipse restaurant; in fact, our location has so much to offer to families too. Please be sure to chat to our Concierge team when your next back as they have a large list of recommendations when it comes to local activities for children in Hong Kong. Nearby local attractions that are specifically tailored for families include The Space museum, The Science Museum, Ice Skating Rink, IMAX theatre etc, to name a few.).

We pride ourselves on exceeding our guests’ expectations through exceptional bespoke service and I sincerely apologise, as we did not achieved this goal during your stay. I have listed my contact details below and I would very much be delighted to hear from you to discuss this further and hopefully have the opportunity to personally welcome you back on your next visit back to Hong Kong.

Dean Dimitriou
Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms
Dean.Dimitriou@langhamhotels.com

Reviewed 26 January 2013

The Langham is one of the best hotels in Hong Kong. Located near the star ferry and canton road in Kowloon it is the perfect base for exploring Hong Kong. Rooms are good and service is fantastic. I stayed for 4 nights and by the second morning the staff at the front desk and breakfast remembered my name. Rooftop swimming pool is a plus.

Room Tip: If you are on a late night flight they will store your bags and let you use the shower facilities in...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Dineman69
Management response:Responded 29 January 2013

Dear Dineman69 Como,

Greetings from The Langham, Hong Kong.

We hope you had a delightful trip back to Australia. For you to say that we treated you the best you have felt in a long time means a lot to our entire team and I like to thank you for the very kind words!

I also very fortunate to work with a group of amazing people who have fun in what they do and who truly care about the well being of each individual guest. We are dedicated to make every single guest experience special and I’m glad that you experienced the high level of service and the attention to detail The Langham, Hong Kong is known for.