“Great location, shabby room”

Ranked #13 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great location, shabby room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have read many other reviews, and have to agree about the location being top- notch. Unfortunately the room is so shabby, it's not something I would have accepted anywhere in the USA. The furniture is peeling and the bathroom has seen better days. The fragrance that so many people seem to like in the lobby makes me ill. I do agree that the breakfast buffet is very nice, but it was hard to get anyone's attention since they are all busy listening to their earpieces! I did not choose this hotel, and I won't stay here again. After staying at the Peninsula in shanghai, this was a real downer.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
DeanDimtriou, Manager at The Langham, Hong Kong, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Susan,

Thank you very much for taking the time in sharing your feedback in relation to your stay with us.

It is with great concern noting the shortcomings you experienced during your stay with us. The nature of your feedback is concerning, and I would like to personally discuss this matter further with you in order to gain further clarification on your experience.

I have noted my contact email address below and I do look forward from hearing from you soon.

dean.dimitriou@langhamhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

This hotel was just the best. It is located so well, walking distance to the Star Ferry, Harbour shopping mall, all kinds of shops and sights. I can't say enough about the staff. They were so courteous, knowledgeable and helpful. The concierges knew everything about the city and were able to direct us to different attractions, tell us roughly what we should expect to pay for taxis and recommend places to eat or shop. The restaurants were lovely....delicious food and lots of it. The breakfast buffets were just amazing...we never had to eat lunch! The bed was the best, the bathroom was gorgeous with separate tub and shower and beautiful amenities. This hotel is so classy, so beautiful and the staff make it the fabulous experience it was. I would return in a heartbeat.
Samantha-jane, Calgary Alberta Canada

Room Tip: The staff upgraded my room when I checked it. It was on the 11th floor, where The Langham Club is, a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
LanghamHongKong_mc02, Manager at The Langham, Hong Kong, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Samantha-jane M,

Greetings from The Langham, Hong Kong. Thanks so much for the review and your confidence in The Langham brand.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us – we hope you had a great time at The Langham, Hong Kong.

We take pride that our hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Tsimshatsui, Kowloon - one of the liveliest and most popular areas of the city with an outstanding choice of shopping and entertainment. We also take great pride in the poised and quietly confident of our frontline colleagues.

Comments like yours truly inspire us to work harder every day striving for excellence in everything we do.

In addition, we would like to add that we’ll be launching a new line of bathroom amenities at the end of this year, custom-designed by a famous parfumier from Italy. We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back in the very near future.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

It's a Langham so it is very good. The service, room and location are very good. However, it may be time for a makeover. That comment should not prevent you from staying here as it is merely an observation. The breakfast buffet is excellent. The location is excellent as you are steps away from the Star Ferry etc.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear The2TravelingFools,

With regards to the makeover, we are happy to inform you that the hotel will undergo a series of renovations in 2014.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Enjoyed five nights at this elegant hotel. Absolutely faultless. The service from the staff was first class. It starts at breakfast with staff welcoming you and promptly finding a table so you can enjoy a wide variety of food. Mandy who looked liked she was in charge of managing breakfast and controlled her crew deserves recognition if this hasn't been done. Room on the eighth floor was immaculate, with daily cleaning and turn-down every night. A home away from home. Mr. Dimitriou, you have a hard working and very respectable crew of staff. Do not overlook the Langham Hotel, it is all class and must be in the best position close to everything to make your Hong Kong experience memorable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
LanghamHongKong_mc02, Manager at The Langham, Hong Kong, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Bissiotis,

Greetings from The Langham, Hong Kong. Thanks so much for the generous review.

We are delighted to hear that you had a great experience with Mandy. We will forward your praise to her, and give her the recognition she deserves.

Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I have been to Hong Kong on many occasions but this was my first time at the Langham Hong Kong. Reservation was made through their hotel website which was very easy to navigate. I received confirmation promptly. I then booked a limo transfer direct with the hotel. Hotel also made a reservation at Hutong Restaurant. All done via email prior to arrival. From the minute we arrived we were welcomed at the desk at the airport and from thereon were treated like royalty. The car was a large comfortable Mercedes, we were met on arrival in the Lobby and taken up to the Executive Club floor for check-in. A glass of champagne was served while we were being checked in; we were then offered canapés and more champagne while our bags were being delivered to our room. Although the rooms don't have views they are extremely spacious and well appointed. Bathrooms have a full bath and separate shower with all amenities, even a body scrub and loofah. Bed and pillows are superb; really comfortable. All staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. The Executive Club serves a substantial breakfast as well as afternoon tea and evening drinks and canapés. You can also use their Palm Court and Restaurant if you don't want to use the Club Lounge. Location is perfect, close to Star Ferry, Train and Shopping. I will certainly stay at the Langham Hong Kong on my next visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rita-Marie Y
Dear Rita-Marie Y,

Greetings from The Langham, Hong Kong.

We hope you had a delightful trip back to Australia. Thank you very much from all of us that you have chosen The Langham, Hong Kong for your most recent stay.

It has been a pleasure and honor in being your host. Your open and friendly feedback is very much appreciated by all of us and gives us pleasure, a little pride and of course a lot of motivation to provide service excellence.

The entire team of The Langham, Hong Kong looks forward to welcoming you back to Hong Kong soon.

Dean.Dimitriou@langhamhotels.com
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

This hotel is no doubt a very beautiful and 'smell good' hotel, but probably not worth the money.

Like:
1. Room is clean and nice - pretty standard, don't expect any views unless you are booking the executive or grand room.
2. Lobby really smell good
3. Front Desk Duty managers are nice, friendly and helpful (Alice and Henry)
4. Concierge Allan is a star, help us to make booking of any restaurant in town

Dislike:
1. The hotel booking or sales team is really not very effective and seems has no communication with their partners at all. I have made the booking through their partner 'Splendia', but then they have overcharged me for my booking in the beginning as Splendia will charged 3% as deposit and the rest of the balance shall be charged by the Hotel. But the hotel has charged me the full amount and I have to take sometimes to clear this out with them.

2. Initially I thought of booking the hotel VAN to take us (total of 5 people) from airport to Hotel, but then the hotel sales team or hotel booking consultant wanted me to book two Limos and start giving me all these information about the rules where a van cannot handle more than 3 big luggage. After a few email communication, I decided NOT TO book any transport with them, and I believe I have made the right decision. Guess what? from airport to hotel, we only took 1 taxi (the normal red taxi, apparently they can take 5 people and all our luggage fit in fine at the back of the taxi) cost me about HKD 280. The hotel limo is HKD 800 one trip!

I have booked my room through Splendia. They are such a bad web site to book through with and their sales consultant is really useless! I am not impressed about my booking with them at all because they did not communicate properly with the hotel and has caused so many inconveniences for me.

But luckily the hotel managers manage to help me out at the end and straighten things up in order to get the benefits as promised in my booking invoice e.g. welcomed gifts, late check out, unfortunately, it was too late to upgrade my room, so, they have offered me and my family a buffet breakfast on our last day morning.

With all these small incidents happened, I will still give this hotel a 4 stars rating due to it's cleanliness, location and services.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Mr. Wong,

Glad to hear some positive lasting memories of your stay with us, however concerning to hear about the shortfalls you highlighted. I would like to personally discuss this matter further with you in order to gain further clarification on your experience.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

The Langham Hong Kong has continued my experience with the group elsewhere - quality & comfort and will always be a destination I will personally seek - for the discerning traveller the 5 star rating is well justified.
Great location and the attention to detail by all staff with a good example being Restaurant Manager - Louis Fung keen to ensure your stay is a memorial one and it was - fabulous.

Dear LarryStarr,

Greetings from The Langham, Hong Kong.

We will forward your feedback to Mr. Fung, I am sure he'll be very happy to hear about your positive experience at our restaurants.

Dean.Dimitriou@langhamhotels.com