“Great Hotel, But The Rooms Are Small”

InterContinental Hong Kong
Ranked #11 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Makati, Philippines
“Great Hotel, But The Rooms Are Small”
Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

It's a great hotel with awesome service an friendly housekeepers, but disappointingly the room I stayed in was quite small. They have a great pool and delis pus food. Definitely recommend to all travelers!

• Stayed June 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (966)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam
Reviewed 21 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed only one night in December. The spectacular view over the HongKong Harbour was memorable. The rooms were good, comfortable and luxary. Our business dinner in the Japanese restaurent was not that successful. It was too noisy with both the waiters and customers shouting and talking loudly. Food was not that delicious as recommended by the waiter. Breakfast buffet had a big choice. However the service in this hotel need to be improved. All the staff looks tired and just working for the sake of work! From the reception to the restaurent it was the same. Eventhough I was a priority club member
I had to pay for the Internet. So better to check it before reservation.
Further, it's located in Kowlon the another island away from main city center. It may take 30 minutes by taxi to go to city center depending on traffic.

• Stayed December 2012
Washington, DC
Reviewed 20 December 2012

This hotel was no doubt glamorous in the 1960s and 1970s, but now is dated and tired with mediocre service. If you are looking at a five star Hong Kong hotel experience, there are plenty of newer properties (Four Seasons, Ritz, Mandarin,not to mention the legendayr Peninsula) that this isn't close to being in the same league with. If you are a business traveler used to domestic Ameican Sheratons,Hilton's and Hyatts, then this is in that league. Service here was a real disappointment, nobody greeted us upon arrival, and we waiting 10 minutes for service at the Ambassador desk. When we were eventually given a room, our Ambssador (and Priority Club Platinum) "upgraded" room looked over a huge dirt pit. After close to two hours of complaining, we were eventually moved to a Harbour View room. Although the room was small and the furninshings dated, the view was spectacular. If service had been friendlier and helpful, the view from this room would have made up for an otherwise disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Strongly recommend a guaranteed confirmed Harbour View room. Some of the rooms on the back side of t...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank crsWashington_DC
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hong Kong, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Dear crsWashington_DC,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the poor customer service you received from our staff. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention and trust that we will address the issue and assure you that proper measures will be taken to ensure that there will not be a recurrence.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Nevada, USA
Reviewed 19 December 2012

If it's convenient for you to stay on the Kowloon side, this hotel will not disappoint. Our room (guaranteed upgrade for Ambassador Club Members) had one full wall of windows looking onto Victoria Harbor, where one can be entertained for hours watching the junks and other harbor activity. Ladies will love the designer toiletry amenities. The Hong Kong decorations and lights are nothing short of spectacular from November through CNY!

The Star Ferry boards nearby and it's a short walk to Nathan Rd shopping, with the route mostly under subway cover. There is a FANTASTIC tailor in the mall attached to the hotel-he makes trips all over the world annually, bringing your measurements and the newest fabrics with him. (P. Chan, Royal Regency Tailor.)

I highly recommend joining the ICH Ambassador Program and you'll get your money's worth on your first stay here. After the guaranteed room upgrade, the Club Floor is AMAZING! Gracious staff, free internet and the same panoramic view for breakfast,( American style and Dim Sum) high tea (scones and clotted cream, French pastries,) and for cocktail hour-nice snacks and the best labels are poured.All of the restaurants are fantastic, but you'll need a reservation far in advance for Spoon or Kobe. We have also stayed at the Hong Kong Intercon during warmer months and enjoyed the beatiful pool area very much.

The world's best Concierges are here and are AT YOUR SERVICE! Because I purchased a large repro Tang Horse on the last day of my trip, :)) they handled ALL the packing and shipping for me with the merchant. If you can't stay here, come for the Sunday Brunch or to enjoy the view in the lobby cocktail area. We've stayed elsewhere, but this hotel has earned our loyalty.

Room Tip: The Ambassador Club Floor is worth every penny.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Sunday brunch was worth to taste, perfect view of Victoria's Bay. After I checked in, the receptionist took me to the elevator in person. Good manner and caring. During my stay, I sick in the midnight, the hotel manager give me several options, such as the nearest public hospital, private hospital or ask private doctor to my room. Finally he hired taxi for me and send me to the private hospital. Satisfy with their service.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
washington, dc
Reviewed 14 December 2012

My husband and I just checked into the Intercontinental Hong Kong. We are on a two week 'China' vacation and spent the first part in Sanya (Ritz Carlton - and I HIGHLY recommend it). We ordered a very nice car service, arrived at the hotel with NO GREETING and went to Ambassador level check-in (their highest frequent traveller guest level) and waited.....and waited for someone to check us in. Our room situation was nothing short of ridiculous and reminded me of buying a used car....we fought for an upgrade (we were supposed to have one because of our status) and were upgraded to a room overlooking a dirt pit. We FINALLY got a hold of the manager and he switched us to a small room but t does overlook the Harbour. All the drama - which is not how we have ever been treated at any ICH. The room is OLD and TIRED. It is in need of renovation and the carpet is just plain old and dirty. Not sure why people think this is such a great location - you have to walk underneath the highway to get to the other side (where all the shopping is). All in all - I expected Hong Kong hotels to have higher standards and this one does not. For the first hour we were here I tried to switch to the Peninsula Hotel or Mandarin Oriental - and they were completely sold out. There is something to be said for that - the Intercontinental has a lot of rooms available......

Room Tip: If you can get any room that actually FACES the Harbour
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lisawdc23
Engelburg, Schweiz
Reviewed 14 December 2012

I stayed in late September 2012 in Hongkong. Because I like to experience different Hotels and I couldn't agree on the Hotel, I decided to stay in three different Hotels in Hongkong. Therefore, I stayed at the Intercontinental Hongkong, the Peninsula Hotel Hongkong and the Four Seasons Hotel Hongkong.

The Intercontinental ist a very modern Hotel and perfectly located at the Waterfront overlooking the Skyline of Hongkong. It is not very amazing from the outside, but very nice in the inside. The staff was very friendly and helpfull. The Breakfast Restaurant was a little bit to crowdy, but food was very good. Also the Restaurants were good.

Especially to mention is the Pool Area. The Intercontinental offers a great Pool Area with a Jacuzzi with stunning views of the Harbour and the City Skyline.

To sum up, there is nothing to complain. The Hotel deserves five Stars and is good value. if you are looking for a well managed Hotel in Hongkong with a great view from the Pool for a reasonable price, then book the Intercontinental.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo