“The Best”

Ranked #12 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“The Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I can't believe it's taken me this long to write a review of this fabulous hotel. My husband and I stayed here a few years ago and we still talk about it as being one of the best we've ever stayed at. The panoramic views of the skyline are amazing...the first night, we ordered a bottle of wine and watched the laser show over the harbor -- an unforgettable experience. The lobby was also a work of art, beautiful in every way. But the absolute show stopper is the rooftop infinity pool overlooking the skyline. We live in Miami and have seen some amazing pools but this is the best, hands down. We were lucky enough to go to the pool one day while no one else was there and the awesomeness of the view is beyond words (and quite a photo-op). We spent a long time deciding between the Intercontinental and the Peninsula and I think we made the right choice (we visited the Peninsula during our trip and had dinner there, but for the views and the rooftop, we thought the Intercontinental was superior). We will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (944)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
mission bc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

The IC Kowloon is a great hotel. They lost a star from me at check out - I will explain shortly. I booked this hotel entirely because it was our first visit to Hong Kong and I wanted a good experience coupled with a view of the infamous city scape. We got the spectacular view. I did not see any hotel in Kowloon that appeared better situated to offer that view. Note I paid the extra to book a view room to ensure we would get it - obviously these rooms are in demand. I do not follow the logic of those who booked the cheaper rooms then write a negative review because they didn’t get a free upgrade.
As we flew for 13 hours to get here I wanted the arrival to be painless and pleasant as possible, so I booked a car from the airport directly with the hotel. This was a good idea. The taxi’s in Hong Kong are older and not the nicest way to travel. The hotel sent a flawless S class Mercedes with a proper uniformed driver – the bonus is the driver tips off the hotel we are nearing the hotel, so we got the royal treatment on arrival as well. If you are looking to impress your partner or you are celebrating a special occasion the car service is a great way to do this. It set the mood for our holiday. If your funds are limited you could always take a taxi from the hotel on the return trip, taxi’s from the hotel are better because they write down the cab number and give it to you on a card, so you are far less likely to have a bad experience. We paid HKG$880 each way total, plus I tipped the driver, although they do not appear to expect tips.
Our room easily met our expectations, as I said, we got the view I wanted. The room was quite large with a generous bathroom with extra-large towels, a good shower, and a large deep tub. We had double sinks and a nice closet dressing area, with enough drawer and closet space to unpack most of our stuff. A good security safe – it even worked when we went out all day and accidently left the door wide open with several thousand in cash on display (beginning of a 28 day trip). The amenities in the room were impressive – they thought of everything. The toiletries were excellent quality and nothing was over looked. The bed was very nice, comfortable, clean and luxurious. The robes and slippers were great. Complimentary fruit was delivered each day, bottled water was free, and I got the newspaper daily which I liked. The unobtrusive air conditioning kept the room plenty cool enough. A very good mini bar that I felt was priced fairly.
The only thing we felt nickeled and dimed on was the internet. At least they had an hourly option so if you just need to check a few emails it was reasonable, but it was a hassle to keep going through the login process each time. The Wi-Fi was strong and reliable which helped us come to terms with the fee.
The service here is excellent. I really can’t think of a way to fault it. The concierge was excellent and available without a wait each time we needed them. The email service prior to our arrival was excellent also. The staff are plentiful and they all seemed eager to assist. Security appeared to be very good.
The buffet breakfast is quite a spread with ample choices, almost a brunch. The quality was good but we found some items like fried potatoes to be cold. I am not a fan of buffets anyway - you just can’t get the best quality that way. The coffee was very good, and the beverage service was very attentive, we did not have empty cups or juice glasses ever. During our stay the omelette chef was useless - we got scrambled eggs both times.
The waterfront location is perfect for tourists, we had no trouble getting around - the Star Ferry is only a 5 minute walk.
We noticed some construction in the hotel. The room next to ours was under construction, they did a really good job of hiding this fact and trying to keep the noise down, 95% of the time we couldn’t tell. We found a letter advising us and apologizing for the inconvenience, but that was all we got. The construction noise was a problem one morning when we were trying to sleep off the jet lag. After dark we could see the rooms under renovation at the front and back of the hotel. The good news is the few reviews calling the rooms dated will be obsolete soon.
On check out I received a shock. I made 4 phone calls to Canada totalling about 40 minutes to deal with an unexpected business issue – they billed me HKG$1,060!!! That’s about U$140. There was nothing in the directory to indicate the charges. Long distance is only pennies pretty much anywhere in the world now. I felt this was an under handed cash grab by the hotel - far beyond any reasonable value. Thankfully it didn’t take longer - I could easily have been hit with a U$1000 bill! This overcharge left a bad taste in my mouth, so I will be skipping IC hotels for a while.

Room Tip: Book the view!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Piggy-can-fly
Ephrata, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

We traveled to CHina for our 25th wedding anniversary and our two night stay at the Intercontinental was our special treat and what a treat it Was. We got a Harbour View room and spent many happy moments watching the boats and ferries on the water. The room was amazing with turn down service and a huge bathroom. We got room service one night and it was very good. We had appetizers In the bar and watched the light show on the buildings across the water. We really enjoyed the quick access to the pier and the boardwalk along the water. It is worth every penny.

Room Tip: Get the view room-there is nothing like it, anywhere.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChinaGal_57
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed six very memorable nights in this spectacular hotel. The view of the harbor, both in daylight and at night, is incredible. We were so mesmerized by the full display of the 8pm Harbor Light show, that we arranged to see it every evening we were there.
Our upgraded suite was spacious, extremely comfortable, full of pampered goodies and with a view to die for. Andy, who serviced the room, could not do enough for us. He made sure that we were well stocked each day with sanitized cloths for our excursions around the city,(Tip...no napkins handed out in local restaurants) and answered every request with a smile.
I cannot say enough about the Concierge Desk. Quincy, Jin, and Louis were extremely helpful, patient and informative. Every day we asked for advice on our outings and every day we received expert advice and...numerous maps. Upon arrival back at the hotel every afternoon and evening, they always asked how our day had gone and what we liked.
I highly recommend the Wet Market tour, with Simon if he is available. This is arranged through the hotel and our guide, Simon, is the Sous Chef on staff. We will never forget this tour of the local food market...unusual fruits and vegetables, fish pulled live from tubs and filleted as you watch and the 'choose your own' live chicken for supper. Simon explained how the Chinese prepare, market and select their food each day, so different from our American super markets.
Thank you to all the team at the Intercontinental Hong Kong for a superb visit!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Susansandiego72
Viennese
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in mid November. The service was first rate and it could not be faulted in any way. All staff could not have been more helpful and courteous. The views out over the harbour are wonderful. The only drawback if any is the price, but I should not complain because you get what you pay for

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Nassau, New Providence Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed in a harbour view executive suite for 3 nights. Incredible room with such a panoramic, up close view of Hong Kong Island. Service is wonderful, particularly room service. The building is starting to show its age on the exterior and in need of remediation, but the suite itself was super clean and well maintained. Have stayed here a few times now and have recommended often. I will likely always stay here when in Hong Kong.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GlobalH
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

First time on the Kowloon side and it was magnificent. Hotel location is excellent for its views of the harbor, particularly at night. Easy walk to the pier, the ferry, shopping and dining. Lobby is nice albeit a bit noisy but the noise does not carry upstairs. Breakfast buffet isfirst rate in terms of choices and quality. Front desk personnel was friendly and helpful. Best of all, the rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. Stayed five nights and enjoyed them all. Cannot go wrong with this property.

Room Tip: harbor side is best. I was not on that side, but still enjoyed.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business