“Impeccable service”

Ranked #10 of 717 Hotels in Hong Kong
Florida, New York
“Impeccable service”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I had the pleasure to stay here 2 nights last week, everything exceeded my expectations. I'd recommend upgrading to a harbor view room, breathtaking views! Loved the pool area, fitness center, and lobby lounge area. Easy walk to Avenue of the Stars, Star Ferry, and Nathan Road.

Only gripe: I did encounter several extremely rude and pretentious guests during my stay. It's a shame that some people think money gives them the right to treat the hotel staff and other guests with disrespect. Shame on them.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The intercontinental Hong Kong has undoubtedly one of the best locations in the city, albeit on the Kowloon side, the breath-taking views of the harbour are even more impressive than expected and it easy to get anywhere on either side of the harbour.

The hotel does however offer 2 completely different experiences depending on whether or not you go for the harbour view, club access approach and use the hotel restaurants or you take a more standard approach with a Kowloon view experience.

Our first 2 days at this hotel were very disappointing verging on miserable and in truth I would have given 1 star rating at best. We had the same great expectations as everyone else having read the great reviews. Our 3 night stay was the pinnacle at the end of our 10 ten anniversary your of china which included a number of other intercontinental and st.regis hotels.

We did however come to realise that the is an underlying snobbery / class system at this hotel which was made us feel very uncomfortable. As am ambassador member and platinum ihg member one automatically gets upgraded and receive a fantastic level of service - however not at the Hong Kong branch. Upon check-in we were informed we could not be upgraded because we had redeemed priority points for the room, we were informed that we couldn't have a harbour view (despite the fact the hotel boasts that 70% of all rooms have a direct or partial view) however for $1200 hk we could. We we're also told we couldn't have club access, however again for an additional $1200 we could have this also. When I asked to speak to the duty manager she said as the hotel was the intercontinental flagship their policy was not to recognise ambassador status for redemption bookings. This contradicts totally every other intercontinental I have stayed at including other flagships such as Le Grande, Paris, Amstel, Amsterdam, and Willard, Washington, D.C.

I was incredibly patronised by the manager, who actually used the discussion to train her assistant to tell any future members to have no expectations either. They claimed they had given me a better room overlooking the plaza (which doesn't exist). Disappointed we went to our room.

You can imagine our frustration therefore when early next morning we were awoken by constant rumbling and drilling noises through the room. When I opened the curtains I was amazed to see our 'plaza view' was in fact a massive construction site. Albeit directly below was the infinity pool ( which is therefore also next to construction site ). We suffered in silence as this was a Friday morning and we assumed that would be it. However, first thing Saturday morning the drilling woke us up again. When I spoke to the same duty manager Again asking why she had actually put us in undoubtedly one of the worst rooms in the hotel she claimed that many guests liked that view - a construction site??? And that no one else had complained of noise - I can't believe this and it doesn't say anywhere on the website that construction work in on-going. I felt that managements dealing of our complaints were very badly treated. Had we left at this point, this would have been a 1 star rating.

We were however contacted by the hotel guest relations director who was actually courteous, professional, constructive and pleasant ( unlike her earlier colleagues who I shan't name and shame ). The damage done was such that we didn't want any last minute consolations to make us feel better however eventually she convinced us to at least use the club lounge for the last day.

On the other side of the hotel, with the amazing views and with the stunning service in the club lounge, yes I can see why this is a world class hotel. The smile from iris in the club lounge alone was enough to raise our rating of the hotel and we left next day with at least some fond memories.

In conclusion, stay here if you want to splurge, the harbour view and the club lounge are probably worth the cost, however if you don't want to extend this far don't settle for second class. For the same money you can first class elsewhere. And if you are an ihg member don't expect anything aG all and you won't be disappointed. So Half 5 star and half 1 star results in an average 3 star rating.

Room Tip: If you don't go all out go elsewhere.
2 Thank JKlondon09
ICHongKong, Manager at InterContinental Hong Kong, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
We appreciate your feedback following your recent stay with us. Our sincere apologies for your unpleasant experience. So sorry that the view (and consequent noise) from your room hindered the enjoyment of your stay. In a city like Hong Kong, unfortunately there is constantly construction and redevelopment taking place. Our neighbors are currently redeveloping the New World Centre complex next to our hotel. We are working closely with New World to try to minimize any inconvenience to our guests.

We do value your patronage of our hotel as an Ambassador and Platinum IHG Rewards Club member. However, as per our hotel policy, we sincerely regret that we are unable to extend complimentary upgrades to harbourview rooms or Club access for IHG redemption night stays. We sincerely hope that we can serve you better on your next stay with us. Please feel free to contact us at hongkong@ihg.com so we can assist with the arrangements for your next stay.
New Delhi
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I selected Intercontinental Hotel, Hong Kong for my 25th wedding anniversary and thankfully, I was not wrong. Surely this must be one of the best located properties in Kowloon. My Deluxe Harbour View Room had a beautiful view of Hongkong and Avenue of Stars. Staff helpful and ever smiling. Great food though would like more chicken or lamb dishes for guests from India. Surely planning a second visit with kids in near future. Was worth every penny that I spent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We have visited this hotel many times, it has never let us down. Make sure to get the harbor view rooms, it's really worth it! We love not only the good size of the rooms also the quality of the food this hotel delivers. From the beautiful selections of the sushi from Nobu to juicy steak at the Steak House + Grill, to the lychee martini at the lobby bar with a spectacular view... We will keep coming back!

Stayed November 2013
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We stayed for 5 nights at Intercontinental Hong Kong, Salisbury Road. Overall, we really had a great time.

What we like most:
1. The room - We stayed in a Superior Harbour View room. The view is just spectacular. Especially at night when buildings across the sea turn the lights on. There were times when I was just happy sitting on the chaise longue in the room and watching ships went by.
2. The Lobby Lounge - again, the lobby lounge has a great position. Wonderful place to have cocktails before dinner. Great staffs, especially the 3 elegant and charming manageress.
3. Amazing restaurants - We tried 4 restaurants in the hotel (Harbourside, Nobu, The Steak House and Yan Toh Heen). In terms of service, our favourite was Yan Toh Heen (the Chinese / Cantonese Restaurant). In terms of food, our favourite was The Steak House.
4. The Pool - Great pool...I always swam in the morning around 7 am when I was there. The pool is located on the third floor and it was really lovely there. In the morning, it was always really quiet when I swam (the hotel is quite quiet by the end on November). The main pool is adequate size for exercising. There is also a spa pool that has got 3 different temperatures. I was not bothered using the spa pool until the very last day. The Victoria harbour view from the spa pool is really beautiful.
5. The spa - excellent deep tissue massage. One of the best that I have experience. Great therapist.
6. The breakfast - I love breakfast time at the Intercontinental Hong Kong. They have extensive selection of food....great staffs as well.

Negatives:
1. It's a shame that there was no speaker and volume control in the bathroom. When we played the music in the bedroom, we could not hear the music in the bathroom. In fact, there were times when we heard people speaking in the next room or in the corridor while were in the bathroom. At other times, we even heard people using toilet from the room upstairs while we were using the bathroom.
2. We requested late check out and we agreed to pay for this. The FO staff did not remember to extend our room card validity. We left the room to have late lunch before checking out, and when we got back to the room, we could not get in. I had to get down to the reception and I was asked to show photo ID / passport. Of course, I did not have my passport / driving license with me as I left everything in the safety box inside the room.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
ICHongKong, Manager at InterContinental Hong Kong, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for your positive comments following your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Thanks so much for sharing your positive review of your harbourview room, I-Spa and the Pool Terrace. We are also delighted that you tried out four of our restaurants and in particular enjoyed Yan Toh Heen and THE STEAK HOUSE winebar + grill, as well as breakfast at Harbourside and evening drinks in the Lobby Lounge. We appreciate your patronage of our diverse restaurants and bars, as well as your feedback on areas in which we can improve. We have shared your comments with our management team and will note them as we plan for the future.
Chipping Norton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This is not the most expensive hotel in Hong Kong, but its not cheap so if you stay here pay the extra and get a deluxe harbour view- it’s the best bit. I have stayed here three times so far and should be back again in a month. So the basics, rooms are a good size well equipped (old iPhone connection for the Bose sound system which is very good when played very loud), staff are very friendly and helpful, the breakfast buffet is excellent, great shops within 5 minutes’ walk, star ferry terminal is 7 minutes away along the TST promenade a must see walk.
Only down side the food is too exclusive! The Harbour side restaurant (where you get breakfast) offers a good buffet in the evening, the steak bar provides excellent stakes if a little on the expensive end. The other three restaurants are among the best in Hong Kong and very top end in terms of quality and price. Basically you have Spoon - a two Michelin star French (very good and worth it for a special occasion), an excellent Chinese (refurbished since my last visit) and one of the best Japanese restaurants in the world – Nobu. But if you are staying here for a few days eating can get very expensive. If this all gets a bit rich you can have a bowl of noodles in your room for £15.
The Lobby Bar has the most spectacular views of the city skyline of anywhere in HK and is not too expensive unless you go for the afternoon teas, which are great but will cost about £50 for two (sandwiches, little buns, lots of cakes, the Works in fact - too much just for tea. Sounds expensive, but cheap compared to some London hotels and the view is better. This is very popular with locals, so take tea around 3pm to avoid disappointment. A beer in the lobby costs about £7 – not bad by hotel standards.
Final plug – if you are here for a short stay, book the limo collection from the airport. It’s true that the new railway has transformed the trip into HK (about 20 minutes and value for money), but after a long haul flight there is nothing better than being met at the airport, someone who takes your bags away, and tucks you into an air conditioned limo for the drive directly to the Hotel. As you have taken this option you are then met at the door taken away from reception directly to your room, while your bags magically arrive a few seconds later. After a £1000 flight the £70 for the limo is worth every penny.

Room Tip: Go for Deluxe Harbour View every time. 17th floor is access by lift to 16th then stairs.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at the Intecontinental Hong Kong on our way home from a vacation in the Far East. We've stayed at many beautiful hotels in the past, but this one was exceptional.

The hotel is in the most perfect location with a great view of the harbour and the light show that takes place every night. It's within walking distance of the ferry terminal as well as many shops and restaurants and the avenue of the stars runs directly in front of it.

We booked a king harbour view room and it was worth every cent! As many of the reviews on tripadvisor had stated, it's not worth booking at this hotel unless you book a harbour view room.

The lobby had a beautiful view of the harbour. The hallways to the guest rooms were wide, tastefully decorated, and with subdued lighting.

Our guest room was spacious, elegantly decorated with dark woods and traditional colours. The floor to ceiling window reveals a view that is absolutely breathtaking! The view was enlarged and enhanced by mirrors on either side of the window. If the sun bothers you, you can simply lower the sheer at the touch of a button and still get a partial view of the harbour. When you decide to retire for the night, and don't want to be awakened by the morning sun, simply touch another button and lower the room darkening shade.

The room was completely equipped with every convenience from minibar to kettle, to iron and ironing board, flat panel tv and iPod Dock with Bose sound system. Complementary fruit basket, bottled water and tea were also provided.

The attached bath was very spacious with large soaking tub and handheld shower, separate, spacious, glass enclosed shower stall with hand held as well as regular shower heads, and separate water closet. Although the bathroom only had a single sink, there was plenty of counter and storage space to accommodate both of us. Also provided were plush, thick, bathrobes and slippers, large, plush towels, hair dryer, magnifying mirror, bathroom scale and plush bath mat... all the comforts of home. They even provided some of the little essentials such as travel toothbrush and toothpaste, combs, cotton swabs, etc. just in case you forgot to pack them.

Service was always quick and attentive. Each time we called down to the concierge we never had to provide our room number. They always knew and addressed us by name.

All said, it was an extremely comfortable stay and we would highly recommend staying at this hotel. We will definitely stay here again next time we're in Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Pay the extra to get a Harbourview room. It's well worth the money.