“impressive”

InterContinental Hong Kong
Ranked #13 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I was there with my love and it was unbelievable. Good location for all Hong Kong. We had fabulous view from our room and it was fantastic. From reception until housekeeping all staff was warp and helpful. Hotel service is quality and modern.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ertugrul O
Write a ReviewReviews (4,244)

Reviewed 22 January 2014

When the Intercontinental Group did take over the Regent, many things might have changed. The location with it's unique position directly in the water of Victoria Harbour overviewing the wonderful skyline of Hong Kong Island is still fantastic and The Hotel did do a wonderful job to stay up to date. Rooms have been redecorated, restaurants got much more then a facelift. The Club Shanghai has been transformed in a spacy an airy Executive Lounge. But more important even, the staff and it's service is perfect as before and the The hotel's very inspiering restaurants on their prime locations are just worth to be visited. Great Hotel since so many years. we shall come back as sooner as better.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Bearhe
Reviewed 20 January 2014

You can find cheaper in Hong Kong. You can find newer in Hong Kong. But for me it's the Intercontinental every time.

As Ambassadors Club members, my wife and I and our 18 year old son were upgraded to a harbour view Junior Suite in January 2014. Spacious, immaculately maintained ( the room service staff new everyone on the floor and greeted us by name when we walked past) and one of the world's truly great city views. Of course, it is not cheap, but it delivers. While we did not need the views in the Lobby Lounge or Harbourside Restaurant, as we had them from our rooms, they certainly added to the ambience.

I have eaten a lot of hotel meals in my time, but the buffet breakfasts and dinners at Harbourside are the best buffets I have had anywhere.

I am already looking forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: Pay up and enjoy the view from the harbour side rooms.
3  Thank Richard F
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I had a wonderful stay at the Intercontinental Hong Kong. While the property is showing it's age a bit and could use some sprucing in the rooms, the service and offerings were excellent. The room lighting and storage are a bit challenging, but overall the rooms are comfortable. The staff went out of their way to ensure my needs were met. And, I cannot adequately express the beautiful view...the location can't be beat.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Dschmelkin
Reviewed 15 January 2014

There are two ICs in HK and this is the one to go for if your budget allows. Unlike other towering hotels like the Peninsula or Sheraton, the view from the ICHK is unique as it feels like you are almost at sea level due to the low-rise building of the hotel. This unique feature allows you to gaze at the iconic Victoria Harbour as if you were in the Star Ferry or standing on the Avenue of the Stars but in the comfort of your own well appointed room (if you book a harbour view room).

As an Ambassador member, I booked a Deluxe Harbour View room and was automatically upgraded to the Junior Suite which has a larger sitting area with a perfect full view of the harbour. Check-in was not a five star experience in my case as when I arrived by taxi the doorsmen did not even notice me thus I carried my own luggage to the door to be noticed by the staff. Instead of being directed to my room as is the case for many premium five star hotels and especially as an elite loyalty member, I was shoved to check-in at the busy front desk manned by a robotic and unfriendly staff.

I was given room 718, a Junior Suite or rather a "larger" standard room which has some extra space to throw in a nice sofa and an armchair. Thankfully it has a full view of the harbour! The bathroom in this suite is similar to the standard rooms as I have noticed there is another type of Junior Suite that has a better bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub and a steam shower as well as an espresso machine. The décor of the room is subtle but slightly outdated although the bed was very comfortable and everything was in good working order. The sunken bath is lovely and water pressure in the shower is excellent (could do with a rain shower head though). As an ambassador member I received several bottles of evian water a day, promptly replenished by the generous house keeping team (kudos to them). The Ferragamo amenities were also frequently replenished. (extra stars to the housekeeping team!). I requested extra towels and this request was taken seriously. Each time the room was made up I have 6 fresh towels. The service is simply consistent and far exceed my expectations.

In terms of location, the hotel is an excellent base for tourists as it is 5/10 minute walk from the metro and major attractions such as avenue of the stars, the ferry pier, Harbour City mall and Nathan Road etc. I was able to sample the heated plunge pool overlooking the harbour and the experience is simply not to be missed. I cannot comment on breakfast as it was not included, however I had lunch at their Michelin-stared restaurant and the food was great but very expensive. If you plan to spend a lot of time in the hotel then club lounge access at about 1200HKD per couple/night would be excellent value but if you venture out a lot then there are plenty of other cheaper/authentic/tasty dining options within 10 minutes walk. A 7/11 is just on the opposite side of the road.

Overall, this hotel is simply the best for the unique million dollar view but I cannot rate it five star due to my poor experience at check-in and the relatively ageing décor and value for money. I highly praise the housekeeping team for their attention to detail. If you are an Ambassador member, the hotel does honour the membership benefits as I received a room upgrade, free water, free internet, a free pay movie and a 4PM check-out. I might be back for the guaranteed 4PM check-out but probably won't pay premium for the harbour view room as staying there once is enough in my lifetime. At similar room rate, the Mandarin Oriental on the HK Island provides a far superior level of personalised service and better room décor.

Room Tip: Unless you are an Ambassador member, book a Harbour View room or stay elsewhere for better value.
2  Thank Ben C
ICHongKong, Manager at InterContinental Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologise that the arrival and check-in experience did not provide you with a good impression. We are very glad that you valued the dramatic harbour view of the hotel, the convenience of location and were satisfied with the personal service of our room butler. We have taken your comments to the departments concerned and will review the aspects that have not met your expectations, including amenities, service at the Chinese restaurant and room facilities.
Thank you for recommending our harbour view rooms to first time tourists. We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel. We wish that you will find the next stay more more memorable and recommendable in every aspect.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I have stayed here about 5 times and never tire of the magnificent view.
What sets this hotel above so many is the attention to detail and the staff who seem to anticipate your very need.
The only other hotel that compared to this was the Orient Express owned hotel the Observatory in Sydneywhich has been sold and taken over by the Langham group
Have to rate it at least 9 out of 10

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Outstanding Hotel with a harbour view. Was one of the best hotels I have staying in my Life. Extremely well furnished room with a centric hotel location. rooms are fitted with jacuzi, plasma TV, and were better Veneitian which I expected to be better. The breakfast hall gives a beautiful view of the harbour with french windows. Hoghly recommended

1  Thank traveller_one2014