“Great location and good food... despite the bad start...”

InterContinental Hong Kong
Ranked #12 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, Singapore
“Great location and good food... despite the bad start...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

It was not a very good start. I came off the plane and looked for their counter in the airport for my car booking. Note, they have two counters - one for the hotel on HK side and another for this one on the Kowloon side. So after 15mins of trying to look for my booking, only then they ask at which hotel branch I am booked. They tell me to walk across to the other counter, which is only a 2min walk but then no one is there. There is a phone that states you can call them so I did but no one answered -- so much for providing a phone and a number. After another 10mins, someone arrives -- and after another 10mins of looking for my booking, they tell me that there is no booking. I was fuming mad. Why even ask me to go to this counter if there was no car. I walked off very mad to the airport express ticket counter and after a min or so, they came chasing telling me that they found a car. And I have to commend the guy at the counter for being so polite and apologetic despite me telling him off.
So I forgot this whole incident so not to ruin my weekend vacation in HK with my best friend.
The hotel location is great because you can walk to Nathan road where there are lots of great Chinese restaurants. It is also walking distance to an MTR so its easy to get to the HK side for some serious shopping in Pacific Place.
The gym facilities are ok, enough machines to do an hour work-out. The pool is nice and clean and there are three jacuzzi pools with warm, hot and cold water.
The food at the lobby lounge are good -- I had the prawn burger and truffle fries which were quite good while you enjoy a great view of the harbor.
For the breakfast buffet, they had a good selection of Chinese, Japanese and Western food.
The room service was good and kept the rooms clean.
On leaving the hotel, the hotel car was on time, I had a very pleasant driver and got to the airport on time.
So despite the bad start, I still enjoyed my stay. I was a bit surprised though that they did not give a discount on the car service given that it took me 45mins to leave the airport. But I will come back and stay at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (944)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Monterrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed here on a long-weeknd family vacation in early April.

The Good
- THE VIEW: This deserves caps as it is quite possibly one of the better hotel views in the world. The lobby bar is right by the water and has a fully 180 view of the Hong Kong skyline. You could sit there all day and just take it in.
- The Rooms: Spacious, clean, with great amenities.
- The Pool: Great infinity pool with amazing views.
- The Restaurants: Tried out a couple of them and have excellent food.
- The Concierge: Happy to help a tourist couple and give in depth recommendations on how to navigate Hong Kong.
- The breakfast buffet and the sunday brunch are WELL worth the money.

The Bad
- This is a minor issue, but the reception desk was not well versed on the IHG Club program and how to accumulate mileage through partner airlines. Again, a minor issue.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed here last month for a few days on a business trip. I actually booked it using points and I must say, it is a great place to stay at. I was treated like a valued guest right from the time the taxi arrived at the hotel door. The staff quickly attended to my bag, the concierge greeted me by the front door and took me to the reception desk. Check in was quick and efficient. While checking in, I was upgraded to the Executive Suite on level 15. The staff escorted me to my room, explained how everything works and pointed out the Butler service.

The room itself was great, there was a good sized "lounge room" with comfy sofas, great big wardrobe and a massive bathroom with a in-floor bath. The room was spotless, there is no other way to describe it. The bed is big and comfortable, pillows soft, I could go on and on. The room is just faultless. The attention to detail with regards to room maintenance is incredibly evident throughout. My TV worked fine too. No funny noises and clear picture.

There is some construction at the site next door, but there rooms themselves are very well insulated from the noise. I could see the site through the long window spanning the entire length of the room but it was not noticeable...it did not immediately jump out at me, but I was aware it was there.

All amenities where there along with fruit, a bottle of wine, etc. I tucked into the fruit quiet quickly as I was a bit hungry after a painful flight out of China into HK only to find them replenished in the evening when I got back to my room. Nice touch.

The hotel is quiet expensive, even for HK but I must say, it is money well spent if I was spending my own cash. The staff are warm and friendly, very attentive, they are always smiling and willing to help or point in the right direction.

The location is good which others before me have described. It is a 10 min walk to Canton Rd shopping, there are plenty of restaurants nearby and the views towards HK are stunning.

Would I stay here again? Yes, definitely! Would I recommend it to you? Yes, provided you have the budget for it. As an alternative, the other Intercon hotel just a little down the road offers slightly cheaper accommodation and is just as nice. As a romantic getaway, this is is a perfect hotel in a perfect location. For a business traveler..this is a little indulgent...but then again, what a nice treat after a long day at the office.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the harbour are nicer and you help you get away from the construction site next door.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Asianexpert
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

If staying in Hong Kong one should see and enjoy Hong Kong from your hotel room - and this is the perfect place to do so. With a superb view across the harbour towards Hong Kong Isalnd, you can not only watch the big cruise ships coming in and leaving, but also enjoy the night skyline of HKG. The location is very good, the subway is virtually in the front of the hotel entrance and the star ferry terminal 5 minutes walk.
I stayed in April for three nights and had booked the Executive Club, which is worth doing, given the included breakfast and the evening drinks. The breakfast in the lounge may not be as splendid like the normal breakfast in the 1st floor, but you can order everything you want, from grilles salamon to a breakfast steak medium rare...

The rooms are up to the mark for a 5 star hotel, not too big though, but this is normal in Hong Kong. I found the staff very friendly and always helpful.
Actually, comparing this hotel with the Intercontinental Grand Stamford 1 km down the road, this one is clearly one star better. I have stayed in their other property as well twice, but the price difference is obvious. The other interconti feels really old and tucked away.

Only down point is the price - usually 2500 HKD ++ or even 3000 HKD ++ which makes a good 400 USD for a room. Certainly at the upper end odf the range.

Overall - excellent stay, I will be happy to come back!

Room Tip: You must spend the additional dollars for a harbour view, only then you have really stayed in Hong K...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Asianexpert
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

I really enjoyed this hotel. Dated, yes, but very comfortable. Perhaps more of something my parents would have enjoyed. The service was excellent. Checkin was smooth. The room was a suite overlooking the beautiful HK island skyline. The TV in the bathroom was a little laughable, being minute and emitting an annoying crackling sound. The loo was very aggressive if you know what I mean, something about the water pressure there.

We had cocktails in the lounge, with the view again. They seem to like to play the music there quite loud, but still all very pleasant.

The pool area was quite appealing if not for the rather loud construction work going on currently. It made sitting by the pool quite unpleasant and we left soon after.

I would return to this hotel, despite the pool thing. It's just very comfortable and friendly!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Serafin2013
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Yes, it's not on the island, but this is as good as it'll get off the island. Super close to the MTR station, it's also walking distance to Star Ferry, Avenue of the Stars and Nathan Road. A cab ride into Central will run you about 100 HKD, which is high vs. the MTR, but it's not that much if you keep a Western perspective.

The highlights of this hotel, though, are it's bed and shower. Definitely on the firm side, and most definitely one of the best hotel beds I've slept on. I don't throw that type of compliment out lightly. And the sheets and pillows were perfect complements. As for the shower, the water pressure is amazing. Best shower in a hotel, hands down.

Biggest complaint about the hotel is the front desk. It is SLOW. And they don't have a good system in place to ensure that people who are waiting longest are taken care of first.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dagongster
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Exceptional! Be sure to get a harbor view room, it's well worth the extra money. Room was spacious and clean. Great location right at the ferry station and subway stop. The concierge was very helpful and gave us more than enough information to answer our questions. Great live jazz music six nights a week in the lobby bar. Be sure to enjoy the wonderful panoramic floor to ceiling view in the lobby bar, along with their food and drink options. However, be aware that you are paying to sit and take in the view — one drink was about $30 usd. My husband and I visited other high-end hotels for drinks and dinner during our stay (the Mandarin, Four Seasons, and the Ritz) and views just did not compare. Outstanding!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple