“Great location but not value for money”

InterContinental Hong Kong
Ranked #10 of 717 Hotels in Hong Kong
Adelaide, Australia
“Great location but not value for money”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is the 3rd time I have stayed in The InterContinental HK but will choose to stay in another hotel in Kowloon the next time I visit Hong Kong.The view and the location of the hotel right on the harbor is excellent however the hotel is in need of a refurbishment to command such a high room tariff. As a member the InterContinental Ambassador program I normally stay in IC hotel's but unfortunately I found the service this time, particularly by Club staff, to be average (unusual for IC staff) which was disappointing. High Tea and pre dinner drinks in the Lobby Bar were great and I will continue to do this, as was the hotel limousine service and concierge but the room rate is too high for the overall experience.

Room Tip: Always choose a harbor view room. Club access not worth it if you are only planning to sleep in the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Bronwyn M
ICHongKong, Manager at InterContinental Hong Kong, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for valuable feedback following your recent stay with us. We are so sorry that your recent stay did not live up your expectations and past experiences at our hotel. We sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you better when you are next back in Hong Kong and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

This time we treated ourselves to Club level and enjoyed it all. Ate too much of course but the buffets are extensive. Nice to have 'free' wifi for once. IHG really do need to sort this out.

Other reviewers have said it all but we recently heard that IHG are going to sell this hotel. Is this right or is it the other Intercon in Hong Kong?

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Come very often for functions, lunch etc. Fantastic views, great service and good food. I think the breakfast spread is one of the best I've ever had in comparison to other 5 star hotels.

Rooms are very generously sized and the service impeccable - each room has its own butler. The only drawback I've found at InterContinentals around the globe is the fact that the hotel does not provide free internet. I mean... at this day and age... come on?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jsmysn
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 April 2014

A wonderful hotel in a fabulous location. The staff a very professional and helpful. The pool and outdoor spa area are wonderful despite the construction of a new building next door. The staff were great with kids and very attentive. Meals were a bit expensive but what you would expect in a location like this and with such a high standard.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Truly five star. I stayed in 2010 and found it is perfect. Great view, good food, awesome location and comfortable rooms. Breakfast is awesome, full of variety. Bar is also good place to relax in evening. Must stay here. After my visit, I recommended this hotel to few of my family friends, they all like the stay.

On my next visit I will certainly stay here

Room Tip: Take harbour facing rooms and on higher floors.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 April 2014

It was not a very good start. I came off the plane and looked for their counter in the airport for my car booking. Note, they have two counters - one for the hotel on HK side and another for this one on the Kowloon side. So after 15mins of trying to look for my booking, only then they ask at which hotel branch I am booked. They tell me to walk across to the other counter, which is only a 2min walk but then no one is there. There is a phone that states you can call them so I did but no one answered -- so much for providing a phone and a number. After another 10mins, someone arrives -- and after another 10mins of looking for my booking, they tell me that there is no booking. I was fuming mad. Why even ask me to go to this counter if there was no car. I walked off very mad to the airport express ticket counter and after a min or so, they came chasing telling me that they found a car. And I have to commend the guy at the counter for being so polite and apologetic despite me telling him off.
So I forgot this whole incident so not to ruin my weekend vacation in HK with my best friend.
The hotel location is great because you can walk to Nathan road where there are lots of great Chinese restaurants. It is also walking distance to an MTR so its easy to get to the HK side for some serious shopping in Pacific Place.
The gym facilities are ok, enough machines to do an hour work-out. The pool is nice and clean and there are three jacuzzi pools with warm, hot and cold water.
The food at the lobby lounge are good -- I had the prawn burger and truffle fries which were quite good while you enjoy a great view of the harbor.
For the breakfast buffet, they had a good selection of Chinese, Japanese and Western food.
The room service was good and kept the rooms clean.
On leaving the hotel, the hotel car was on time, I had a very pleasant driver and got to the airport on time.
So despite the bad start, I still enjoyed my stay. I was a bit surprised though that they did not give a discount on the car service given that it took me 45mins to leave the airport. But I will come back and stay at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Monterrey
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed here on a long-weeknd family vacation in early April.

The Good
- THE VIEW: This deserves caps as it is quite possibly one of the better hotel views in the world. The lobby bar is right by the water and has a fully 180 view of the Hong Kong skyline. You could sit there all day and just take it in.
- The Rooms: Spacious, clean, with great amenities.
- The Pool: Great infinity pool with amazing views.
- The Restaurants: Tried out a couple of them and have excellent food.
- The Concierge: Happy to help a tourist couple and give in depth recommendations on how to navigate Hong Kong.
- The breakfast buffet and the sunday brunch are WELL worth the money.

The Bad
- This is a minor issue, but the reception desk was not well versed on the IHG Club program and how to accumulate mileage through partner airlines. Again, a minor issue.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business