“My wife chooses this over Peninsula”

InterContinental Hong Kong
Ranked #11 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed at The Peninsula on our way out to mainland China and at IC on the way back. My wife chooses IC - no contest. Here's her reasons:

1. Bathroom was amazing - clean, huge, bright and every detail right.
2. Location - the harbor view might be the best room in the world. Sit there at a massive window, watching the ships go by.

Nice cold AC, excellent restaurants (NOBU!), comfortable beds, airport transportation in a Mercedes.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Hong Kong

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Good hotels - Can provide the same level of GOOD service every time you stay. By far, this hotel is one of the best I have stayed in. Service level is top - they maintain the same good level every time i stay there.
Gym - great
Club - AMAZING TEAM OF PEOPLE
Pool - very nice

A must if you are looking for a good hotel in Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Try and get a Harbour view room...
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I spent a few days in InterContinental Hong Kong and I was amazed by the service provided throughout the hotel. Every one seemed to go out of their way to ensure I'd have a pleasant stay.

The pick up at the airport was very smooth and it was great to use the wifi on the way to the hotel so I could catch up on work. The check in was also very efficient and I was promptly escorted up to the room. The service in both Harbourfront and the Club InterContinental Lounge was attentive yet not intrusive. I must thank Jacqueline and her team at Club Lounge for looking after me so well. Also to Louis the Chef Concierge for his recommendations and finally Joyce and her team at the front desk for their efficiency.

The hotel is conveniently located steps away from both Tsim Sha Tsui and East Tsim Sha Tsui MTR stations so I could easily go around town.

Overall the best InterContinental I've stayed at and certainly on my list to visit again soon.

Room Tip: Take up the access to the Club InterContinental Lounge, it provides the perfect place to unwind and...
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have been to this hotel for several times in the past either to celebrate the birthday of my mother or the Chinese New Year. The feelings towards the management was mixed for some I had to argue with to get what I want to make my mother more comfortable. However, everything became smooth after Mr Benjamin NG, the Reception Managr, intervened. He demonstrates very well that he wants your stay if not a perfect one, at least a pleasant one. I know it is a very late compliment to such a glamorus manager, however, late is better than none.

Although the staff are good, somehow, the management seem to pay unbalanced attention to the feelings of the guest espeically on the day of Chinese New Year firework play. We had our room not facing the harbour side had to stand at the passenger bridge 30 minutes earlier. Yet the view was obstructed by the building even we managed to stand in the front row. In fact, when other guests tried to squeeze in, it invited conflicts among the throng. We were frustrated to find that some strings were hanged in the lobby to partition us from the lobby lounge. yes, the mangerment had to make sure the guests over there would not be disturbed, but at least, I think there must be some ways to let those guests like us not be so frurstrated to see the firework play partially or stood there for almost one hour to see the obstructed scence. It is the reason why I might not consider spending coming Chinese New Year there with my mother again. I will not mind standing at the harbourside for more than two to three hours, personally I have no such interest, but the elderlies. it explains why I write this review so late for such ambivalent feelings. Anyway, I thank Mr NG wholeheartedly for all the past craft arrangement and his kind offer to ease our stays.

Room Tip: corner suite is quiet
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Amy3344
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our stay here was the first time for us with Intercontinental, as I have been a member with another Hotel group. The location of the hotel is superb because it has excellent view of the harbour and Hong Kong cityscape so would highly recommend staying in one of the rooms with the harbour view. We had a suite with both the view of the harbour and parts of city (270 degrees) which was a pleasant viewing vantage any time of the day. In the evenings, the lounge is a nice place to have a meal/ meeting/ a few drinks for both the view and live music.

Location of the hotel is great too because it is close to the train station, lots of shopping venue, restaurants, local markets (at temple st) which are all within walking distance.

The service is superb because all staffs are very courteous, attentive & efficient.

The gym has good quality equipment topped off with an assortment of fruits, bottled water, lemon water etc for your consumption.

However, the hotel was let down in the following areas, some are very minor issues but in my opinion the small detail is what makes one Hotel standout from another at this calibre:
1. The suite was nice but a little dated, however, all equipment functioned well. Bathrooms can really do with an update.
2. The suite we had stunk of cigarette smell, even though it was a non smoking room. I did not complain because it wasn't a big deal nonetheless a hotel of this calibre I would expect attentiveness to minor details such as this. House keeping should have picked this up, and perfume the room before it is let to the next customer.
3. Placement of power points are not intuitive. E.g. I could not find the powerpoint for the hair dryer because it was behind the wall adjacent to the basin.
4. No sponge provided for showering
5. This is to no fault of the hotel but the construction next door does spoil the view & experience a little.
6. The hot water in the shower was not hot. The hot water in the bath on the other hand, worked a treat.

These minor quibbles hasn't sway me from staying here again next time in fact would recommend to others to stay here, but are the reasons I did not give it an Excellent rating.

Room Tip: Wifi is free only if you are a member. The rooms with the harbour view are worth the money imo, espe...
1  Thank VHILW
ICHongKong, Manager at InterContinental Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback following your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed our hotel – including our location, panoramic harbourviews, and personalised service. We appreciate your feedback which we have shared with our team members for their follow-up, to ensure that the glitches you experienced do not happen again. We are constantly striving to enhance both our service and facilities and will note your comments as we plan for future hotel enhancements. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel again soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We enjoyed our previous stay so much that we stayed for two nights at the Intercontinental Hong Kong as Ambassador Gold members. We were upgraded to a harbor view suite on the eastern side of the building, affording a view from a mall-under-construction on the Kowloon side all the way across the harbor to the Convention Centre in Wan Chai. Although this panoramic view was more breathtaking, we felt that less sweeping views in rooms on the western side of the hotel are more interesting because they include the Bank of China Building and others in Admiralty and Sheung Wan. The welcome gift for Ambassador gold members was an atomizer with a delightful fragrance. The Ambassador desk check-in lady, Michelle, was fun and interesting, as well as efficient. The very helpful lady at the concierge seemed to enjoy what she was doing. The suite (actually a very large and long room) was arranged around the huge and long picture windows with a sofa that was so comfortable that it usually made my wife fall asleep. The bathroom area a separate room with its own window, making about 180 degrees of view. The wi-fi was easy to access and reliable.

The entrance to the tunnel complex leading to the MTR metro and other locations on Nathan Road and Mody Road is right in front of the hotel, so during a rain storm, guests only have to worry about running up the front steps of the hotel in the rain. We left by taxi for a small hotel in Sheung Wan, and the staff at the front were more than helpful showing the taxi driver how to reach the relatively unknown hotel, using a map in the younger porter's cell phone.

The harbor view rooms in this hotel are the finest that we have experienced in Hong Kong. This is a superb hotel in all respects.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

It has been some time since i visited the Intercontinental. There is a lot going on, now that the adjoining Mall and Hotel has been torn down....leaving the INtercontinental alone waiting for her new neighbor to be built.

The hotel is as great as ever. My greeting in the lobby, and check in service were efficient, friendly, and FAST!

I was escorted to my room at the end of the Hall with a wonderful view of the Harbor, the pool, and the construction next door.

The Club Lounge on the 2nd floor has to be one of the finest in the world! An extensive escape over the lobby offers sweeping views of the Harbor. Food offerings for breakfast and dinner are amazing! There is really TOO MUCH here! The staff is friendly, and wonderful.

OK, the rooms and such might be in need of a bit of updating (And an extensive renovation is rumored to be coming); but the property is PERFECTLY maintained. It is a contemporary classic that is full of wonderful furnishings that has stood the test of time. I would challenge anyone to find a worn carpet, scratched wall, or imperfect furnishing anywhere. This grand 'lady' is well taken care of!

Honestly, i almost hated hearing that they are planning a large renovation (i assume to coincide with the new neighbor). I think the Intercontinental is perfect just the way it is! Again, she is a classic.

Service is EXTRAORDINARY. Many of the staff here have spent a lifetime here. I met a couple people that were originally Regent employees when i first stayed at the property more than 20 years ago. Loyalty speaks volumes, and the staff here is all 5 star!

If there was any complaint, it was the lobby entertainment this past Tuesday evening. The 'songstress' slaughtered the classics, and seemed to think 'louder is better' as she forced the notes out. She also played to her 'one table of fans' as though the entire room was there to adore her. We were not. :) My table and those around me were all talking about her. She is NOT Intercontinental material....in my humble opinion.

Cant wait to come back. I want to stay a couple more times before they renovate! Keep the original 'character' of the hotel please, this lady is PERFECT just the was she is! Timeless.....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
ICHongKong, Manager at InterContinental Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Many thanks for taking time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.
We appreciate your loyal patronage over the years and thank you for sharing your glowing comments on our hotel, service and most importantly, our hard-working and dedicated employees. We also appreciate your valuable feedback and have shared your comments with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back “home” again soon!