“nicest hotel in HK!”

Ranked #12 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
New York City, New York
“nicest hotel in HK!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2009

Well, I've yet to stay at the Peninsula.....but so far, this is the nicest I've stay in out of many many trips to HK. The Intercontinental (formally the Regent, which was also fantastic) is just gorgeous...great staff, amazing breakfast, nice gym, great shopping, the bar and the views are the BEST in Hong Kong! Oh, and the fruit in the room....don't forget the fruit. Yum.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (944)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Santo Tirso, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2009

This hotel has the best location in Hong Kong. Situated right on the Victoria Harbour bank just in front of Hong King Island, the view, from the rooms or the lobby, is just amazing and I think it is really worth staying in a harbour view room. This location is also within easy access to public transport, shops and restaurants, just beside the hotels bulding there is a shopping mall. The rooms are very confortable although not very large but are well equiped. The service is what you expect from a 5*, with special remarks for the concierge. The hotel has a beautiful outdoor pool and two outdoor jacuzzis that are just perfect for relaxing at the end of the day while enjoying the magnificient views. Some of the best Hong Kong restaurants are located right on the hotel but I didn´t try any.
Intercontinental is decidedly the best choice in Hong Kong!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2009

The InterContinental is by far the best hotel in Hong Kong, hands down. Don't make the mistake of staying at its shabby cousin, the Grand Stamford, though! We initially checked in here but moved out after one night. The "scene" at the hotel is so vibrant you almost don't want to head out. It's got a fantastic lobby bar which serves amazing high tea. With gigantic glass windows overlooking Kowloon harbour (the hotel is situated right on the harbour front), there is no better place than this to watch the daily light show with a cocktail in hand. There is modern chicness in every single corner here without the frumpy old world gilt of some of the other famous HK hotels. Where else will you find a Nobu AND Alain Ducasse's award winning restaurant Spoon? We got upgraded to a fantastic harbour view suite, which had a separate living room. Whether from the bathroom, the bedroom or the living room, the view of Kowloon and the harbour is uninterrupted and simply spectacular. Get a higher floor, though; as I mentioned earlier, the hotel is right on the harbour front, which is a busy promenade full of tourists. As our room was on the 3rd floor, though it was a gorgeous suite, come nightfall you're pretty much on the same level as the crowd outside and you'll have to draw your curtains (with a remote control, ahem. At the IC suites they're motorized). The wardrobes, though, could definitely be roomier for a suite this size. I've stayed here twice and it's definitely my choice when in HK, but the next time I've got my eyes on the IC's rooftop suite with private pool and outdoor bed for sleeping under the stars!!! This is for sure one of the best city hotels in the world, for business or romance.

• Liked — The rooms, the views, the dining scene
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2009

After tossing up between the Penninsula and Intercontinental we thought we would follow Trip Advisor and go with their top recommendation for Hong Kong....glad we did. In terms of value for money for the type of room and exceptional quality of service this hotel really does put pressure on the "Pen" over the road.
We took up the option of the Mercedes transfer (very reasonable price) to and from the airport. We were met at the airport by a very well presented driver and then put into our clean and comfortable MB S class with chilled Evian for our consumption. The driver was polite and very friendly.
The room we selecected was a Grand Deluxe Harbour View which is located on the top floor. It has a large bathroom with excellent complimentary products which were very useful in the deep bath. The bed is a king size with large pillows. Finally, the view of the harbour...one huge window that takes in the entire panaroma that is Victoria Harbour.
The service from the staff was perfect. We were met at the door from our transfer and escorted up to the room and shown all the amenities. We arrived 4 hours before regular check in but this didnt phase them at all. The room service was excellent and the quality of food very good. As this was a 40th Birthday for my partner they organised complimentary Moet and a perfect little cake.
A truly excellent hotel, couldn't recommend it more highly.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank newtr
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2009

I have heard so much about this hotel and on my recent trip to Hong Kong, I decided to spend a night at the Intercontinental. I used my Priority Club points to redeem for the one night. Being an award booking, I was somewhat anxious to see what room I would get and what service was like.

When I checked it, the front staff were very professional. The check in was effecient and they even had a staff to escort me to my room. It was most impressive. While I did not get a harbour view room, I was given a very nice room on one of the higher floors and away from the lifts.

The staff ensured I was settled and explained all the ammenities of the hotel on the way to my room. And no sooner had he left, the butler arrived with the complimentary tea and fruit platter. He offered me a selection of international newspapers that I could have delivered for the morning. Now this is not something I have often come across, given in most hotels, you get what local paper they give you.

The room was large and well appointed. There was a 42" LCD screen on the work desk, and the queen size bed was comfortable and fresh. The bathroom was larger than normal and had all the finer ammenities including a choice of size for the room slippers. Awesome. The room exudes classiness.

The security in the lobby was good and unfortunately, did not have a chance to sample the restuarants given I had plans to dine out already. As it also was a single night stay, I did not get a chance to utilise the pool and gym as I had hoped. The pool looked inviting from my room and from what I can see you actually relax out in the pool with an awesome view of Hong Kong Island in the background.

The location of the Intercontinental is also ideal being close to Nathan Road and Ocean Centre Shopping Complex. In the evenings, its just a short stroll to the Avenue of The Stars for some night photography.

The service and friendliness of the staff is impeccable and it is truely a wonderful hotel to stay at. Luxury does not come cheap but at this hotel, it may just be worth it.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Mox_Fulder
aussie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2009

This is a great Hotel in a great location. Staff are fantastic, restaurant and bars are great. We had a harbour view room which was amazing, this hotel has to have the best views of Hong Kong Island. The hotel is a 5min walk to Harbour City Mega shopping mall and a couple of min to popular Nathan Rd. The star ferry is also right next door 5 min walk. Breakfast was excellent , a huge buffet of everything from asian to western tastes. The swimming pool and spa is great too with sensational views of the harbour. Highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Intercontinental during our second trip to Hong Kong...We had stayed in the Peninsula in Dec 2007 (reviewed posted on Tripadvisor) and had thought that was one of the best urban hotels in the world...We thought it would be hard for another Hong Kong hotel to top that experience but we thought that after taking everything (location, value, service, amenities) into consideration the Intercontinental was better.
The hotel has a prime location right in Kowloon directly on the edge of Hong Kong Harbor...We stayed in a Harbor View room and it felt like we could literally feel the ships our of the window of our room...The hotel is relatively modern with an open lobby with giant windows overlooking the harbor...The outside of the hotel is a bit "industrial" but that was the least of my concerns...The rooms are spacious, modern and comfortable (make sure to get a room with a Harbor view)...Service is great...The hotel had our check in papers upon arrival at the hotel (we booked a hotel car) and we finished the check in formalities in the room...The concierge staff was very helpful and attentive...Upon check out, we forgot something in the room and by the time we called, housekeeping had already put it with out luggage that we stored at the hotel...There are great restuants in the hotel and we order Nobu through room service one night...Most amazingly, the hotel has a giant outdoor pool area complete with three "spa pools" that are right on the edge of the hotel...You can sit in the spa pools and watch the harbor scene for hours...I went for a swim every day...It was a great setting in such a busy city.

Comparing the Peninsula to the Intercontinental I would say the following:
1) The Intercontinental has the better location (both are great, but the IC is literally on the edge of the harbor...there is nothing to block the view)
2) IC is more modern, The Peninsula is more tradtional...The lobby of the Peninsula is absolutely gorgeous and the room amenities are a bit better.
3) The Intercontinental has the better overall amenities...The spa and pool area are great.
4) Both have amazing service, The Peninsula feels a bit more refined. The IC feels a bit more corporate.
5) The IC is a little bit cheaper (probably 1000 HKD per night or so)

You can't lose with either; really depends on which of the above is most important to you.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank bobd72
christinelo, manager at InterContinental Hong Kong, responded to this review, 1 June 2009