“Great Hotel - though don't drink the tap water” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Hong Kong

InterContinental Hong Kong
Ranked #11 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Texas
“Great Hotel - though don't drink the tap water”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

As everyone says, this hotel has possible the best views of any hotel in the World, from the moment you enter the lobby until you get to your room (assuming you have a harbor view). I returned because of previous great experiences and they were almost as good this time as 10 years ago. Spacious rooms and bathrooms as almost all the amenities you could ever want, including a great Bose sound / video system amd flat panel TV. The staff are excellent with good service everywhere from the bar to the "Butlers". Couple of complaints
1) Where are the drawers - since we were traveling for a couple of weeks in China and staying in this hotel for 4 or 5 nights for a bit of luxury at the end of our trip, we wanted to unpack our bags - but only 3 very very small drawers; and I do mean small. There were some other small drawers but these were taken up with interior fixtures to display additional minibar items - why? We found this all a little strange. When we mentioned it at checkout, the staff said yes that other guests had mentioned this as well. I don't remember this issue during previous visits but the staff did say the hotel had undergone some renovations since then. To build on this point it does seem that the style of the hotel is a little less sleek and cutting edge than previously.
2) The second minor point is that there were no tea or coffee making facilities in the room - yes I know you can go to a restaurant but if you are traveling between continents then you find yourself waking at odd times and it is nice to be able to make a drink in the room. We were supplied with a kettle and some instant coffee, etc eventually but I still think this should be there form the beginning.

The hotel does have a beautiful swimming pool.

Oh don't forget that even in Hong Kong you should not drink the tap water (the staff told us when we arrived). Some bottled water us supplied.

2 Thank GE1Texas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (928)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
SCOTLAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2009

Based on Trip Advisor reviews we booked a 5 night stay at the Intercontinental Hong Kong and have no regrets at all. The hotel provided us with a great location to see most of what Hong Kong has to offer.

Prior to travel e-mail contact with the hotel was slick and professional. Airport transfers, restaurant reservations and specialist tour requirments were all organised prior to going - makes a big difference when e-mail correspondences can be made.

The airport transfer in the hotel bentley was an excellent start to the holiday, followed by a welcome to the hotel and its facilities and then the room. Wow what a view.......speechless. The room itself was very nice, big enough for us though a bit more space for clothes would have been good. The hotel restaurants were excellent, breakfast was awesome, Nobu and Spoon both excellent for dinner.

The hotel location was great with the underground a mere 5 walk away, and star ferry ten. Harbour City mall is ten minutes walk at the most - more shops than you would ever need and all the 'labels' that surely exist!!

I used the pool area which was very nice indeed and my parner used the gym and said this was excellent.

If you are looking for a great hotel in a location that gives you Hong Kong on your doorstep then go ahead and book this place..........you will not be dissapointed.

Steven

1 Thank STEVEN-SCOTLAND
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

After a 12 hour flight from London, this hotel was the worst possible place to end up. We arrived here to commence a trip around Asia and had booked via the Priority Club website. I am a Platinum Elite Priority Club member. it cost about £200 a night and I had requested a high floor away from the lift - we get upgrades with our membership so a room with a city view should have been easily upgraded to one facing the harbour.

I was nickel and dimed for an hour with the clerk from the check in desk checking again and again to see if they could upgrade us. He kept us waiting while he spoke with his 'Manager' - everyone behind the front desk appears to address themselves as a manager.

Eventually he came back and informed me I could upgrade at a special price but it was a one off - I lost my nerve once I realised this was the difference between the rack rate on the next category up and the room I had paid for. The manager did not even have the courtesy to meet me personally when I expressed my displeasure and kept this guy running backwards and forwards with my remarks and then his own. We were not provided with any refreshments after our flight while all of this was going on.

I was then given a room on the 5th floor right next to the elevator. You can actually hear some street noise from the harbour outside - at midnight the next day we managed to find the actual Assistant Manager of the Hotel who upon seeing my different statuses and hearing about how the front desk had treated us sorted us out. I still did not want to drop a penny in this hell-hole.

The moral of the story is, there is so much unbelievable arrogance at the front desk. Like the secretary to the CEO who assumes the power of the CEO. If you want a great view just come in for drinks - which reminds me of another story while there. We were given some complimentary drinks at the hotel bar which overlooks the harbour. There was a small accident where one of the drinks got spilled just after being served and the waiters did not provide a replacement?? They just propped it onto an unbelievably large coaster still sticky.... Is this really a 5 star hotel? No - the inside of the hotel is nothing special, the service is disgraceful.

We shared our experiences with a fellow guest who had the same complaints!! He again complained about the nickel and diming AND said he had purchased Ambassador status from Priority Club in the US but the hotel refused to honour it - they had their own local Ambassador status at $100 a night!

Take my advice, stay at the Mandarin Oriental or the Peninsula - the last thing you want to do on your vacation is to waste your time and money getting upset over trivial issues. Any Americans out there - they don't get the concept of Customer Service.

I stay at the high end hotels, I pay a premium for service not for the quality of bathroom amenities. I want to feel safe in a new city and to stay in a convenient location. I would have preferred any Holiday Inn over this pile of junk.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank avelautham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

First Impressions:
My husband and I spent five days in HK on the first leg of our honeymoon. Despite the ease with which one can reach HK from the airport, we splashed out and ordered a hotel car to pick us up (the honeymoon after all!). And so our incredible experience of the Intercontinental began in the arrivals hall. We were whisked into HK in a luxury car complete with bottled water and warm towels. We were met at the entrance to the hotel by the manager and brought directly to our room (a brief check-in procedure took place there) - which was a nice touch given that we were so tired after the long trip.

The Room:
Our room overlooked HK harbour and it without doubt the best hotel room view I have ever seen - the upgarde is truely worth it here. The room itself is everything that you would expect from a five star hotel and more - bvlgari products, warm towels, fresh fruit....

Food and Drink:
Even if you do not stay in the Intercontinental, you simply must enjoy a drink in the Lobby Lounge. Delicious cocktails and a wondeful spot to watch the Symphony of Lights - a light show that takes place across HK harbour every evening at 20.00 - or to enjoy the live music.
We had lunch in the Harbourside restaurant which was fresh and delicious, if a little expensive.
We ate breakfast by the swimming pool on another occasion overlooking HK harbour and it was delightful.
We ate dinner one night in Steak House which I really would recommend if you like your beef. A most enjoyable dining experience, complete with a full selection of steak knives to choose from and the largest chocolate fondant I have ever seen!

Staff:
All of the staff are as pleasant and professional as you would expect but I must say that we were particularly impressed with the level of service at the concierge desk and were actually quite touched by their genuine concern that we had made the most of our days in HK. On their recommendation we visited the Big Buddha at Tung Chung which was the highlight of our HK visit.

Facilities/Amenities:
Again, everything you would expect from a world class hotel but I must single out the roof top swimming pool. Fabulous pool, comfortable loungers and a member of staff dedicated to cleaning sunglasses which I thought was the height of indulgence - in fact, as the honeymoon continued I was a little disappointed that I had to clean my own sunglasses!
We paid a supplement to upgrade to the club level for a day, which is the business centre of the hotel. This was useful for unlimited internet access. There was also a delicious breakfast, sumptuous afternoon tea and wine/champagne with canapes in the evening included in the price. Bliss!

Faults:
Hard to find but if I was to be very fussy.... Every time we came back to our room the television was on and tuned to the hotel channel which advertises the various facilities and amenities. Not a big deal at all but I just like to enter a quiet room. That's really all I can think of!

I would like to return to HK and could not imagine ever staying anywhere else!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bonniebluebutler
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

This is the second time I stayed in this hotel. Nothing has changed. Superb location, impeccable service, fantastic room, fabulous views! Nothing is exaggerated in this review. It truly is the best hotel in Hong Kong, probably in the world. The location is in one of the best prime location in HK. The S-class limousine is nothing but excellent, it takes you right from airport to the doorstep of the hotel. As soon as you arrive, the bellman will help you to carry all the bags up to your room. As you enter the room, you will be mesmerized by the view! Spot the Chinese iconic junkie that passes by. That is not the end of your fascination of the hotel. Check out their facilities. Numbers of good restaurants inside the hotel. It makes you don't wanna leave the hotel. Try out the super-fabulous spa on the edge of HK. Enjoy the fascinating HK skyline while you sunbathe or just dip in the pool. It really is worth trying. It is one of the world's best hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Perugia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

Hotel that comes in its own right among the best I have ever seen. We had a room at 14th floor with direct view on Hong Kong Island with its spectacular skyscrapers. Room with large screen LCD 37 ', bose sound and iPod slot. Simply fantastic bed, queen size (it would have fit nicely into three!). Very large bathroom with separate shower and bath, toilet in separate room. There was also the balance! The staff was formal and discreet, perhaps too much, a smile would not have been more misplaced.
Exceptional buffet breakfast, with wide choice of food excellent, very exceptional even if a little too expensive.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

I stayed here for three nights on a business trip and found the hotel to be just perfect. Great location and great rooms.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business